Verified Expert in Engineering
Eric is an expert Java software engineer specializing in back-end and microservice development as well as workflow/release engineering. Comfortable with a broad set of libraries and environments, he is also skilled in CI/CD and cloud deployment. Additionally, Eric focuses on test-driven, domain-driven, and object-oriented design.
Git, MacOS, Spring, IntelliJ, Java, SQL, PostgreSQL
The most amazing...
...project I've built on my own was an event scheduling service which was later licensed and used as part of a database synchronization product.
Java Web Developer
Exclamation Graphics, Inc.
- Worked in a team, building new features into the company's flagship Identity access management product. Added new features, including automating a large part of the users' workload. Worked at every level of the stack, but mostly Java and SpringBoot.
- Stabilized codebase by introducing Spring best practices, Lombok annotations, and Java Stream notation. Simplified and sped up unit tests by introducing better mocking strategies and test data management.
- Identified and corrected a major security vulnerability that affected every REST endpoint, including creating robust integration tests to be certain of the fix.
- Mentored several new-to-Java programmers who had come from a Node.js background and showed them how to avoid basic mistakes.
Senior Software Engineer
- Developed an application to allow DoD Intelligence officers to track international financial transactions to determine national security risks from foreign investments. Utilized Spring REST microservices, Postgres, Elasticsearch, GraphQL, and React.
- Developed an application to help experienced government contractors mentor small companies who aspire to be government contractors. Used Spring REST microservices, Postgres, and React/TypeScript.
- Developed a large data aggregation service that pulled data from government databases such as FPDS and SAM and correlated it with public financial data sources such as Factset. Utilized NiFi, Postgres, and AWS API Gateway.
- Built and managed CI/CD pipelines using Concourse for several projects triggered by private GitHub repositories and sent notifications to Slack. Used Bash scripting as well as customized Docker images delivered with AWS ECR.
- Redesigned a large, monolithic Terraform deployment script to be more modular with less repetition and faster deployments to AWS (S3, ECS, ECR, RDS, Secrets Manager). Integrated this with a newly rebuilt Concourse pipeline.
Senior Software Engineering Consultant
- Built a large enterprise application using Java, Postgres, and GWT from prototyping through maintenance. Made design and architectural decisions and provided guidance and code reviews for several offshore teams.
- Facilitated a migration into a cloud architecture by building REST-based microservices with Java8, Spring Boot, Redis, and RabbitMQ. Created templates and scripts for building and deploying services into an OpenShift/Kubernetes cluster.
- Implemented single sign-on with Keycloak and LDAP to function across multiple applications using Spring Security and OpenID. Authentication of REST endpoints utilized the same mechanism but created JWT bearer tokens.
- Performed performance analysis and optimization of Java and SQL code to improve the application's overall responsiveness for an event-sourced data structure. Created documentation and guidelines for the team to use for performance tuning.
- Created an Android application for receiving payments and streaming advertisements on a tablet deployed into taxi cabs. The application interfaced with both REST-based data service and the taxi meter.
Senior Software Engineer
- Built testing and installation scripts for various collections of different open source projects. The scripts would configure different applications to work together so users could install a whole technology stack.
- Updated the Swing-based Java user interface for displaying and manipulating currently installed software stacks.
- Tested submissions for bug bounties the company awarded for solutions to interoperability problems with open source software.
Senior Software Engineer
Computer Research Inc.
- Designed, implemented, and deployed a Java/JSP-based web application for conducting online purchases of municipal bonds. Interfaced with legacy COBOL code and DB2 databases. The application handled multi-million-dollar transactions securely.
- Designed and implemented a system for handling orders and order allocation requests from FIX data sources to legacy COBOL applications. The application used Java and Python, raw socket programming, and Sparc/Solaris and Linux deployments.
- Collaborated with developers on a project for handling high volumes of financial purchase orders via SOAP web services. Utilized Java, customized ant tasks, XML, XML-Schema, FIXML, Axis 1.1, JBoss, Apache, and Linux.
- Acted as the primary system admin for five production Linux systems and one Sparc/Solaris. Set up and served as the administrator for our internal CVS repository. Designed and documented source repository branching and merging strategies.
- Mentored junior developers and led them on a project using screen-scraping technology to interface modern web applications with legacy COBOL applications.
- Worked closely with the QA department to develop, document, and implement release management for projects which required multiple components in different languages (e.g. Cobol, Java, and Jython).
Technical Team Lead
- Led a team of developers working with Swing, JSP, and Java-RMI to develop sophisticated user interfaces for content management.
- Spearheaded the effort to bring test-first techniques to the development team and to provide infrastructure for running automated tests.
- Worked on R&D team to find newer and faster templating tools for building high-volume email mailings.
- Supported QA and Perl development teams to interface with Java and Linux-based products.
- Developed client/server applications and 3-tiered applications for Windows with Delphi, MS SQL Server, and Paradox databases.
- Contributed to a large, multi-threaded C++ application for handling huge collections of scanned images.
- Performed network and email server maintenance for the company.
- Built audio capture application for recording voice content in high-fidelity, then encoding and sending the audio files via email.
- Created reusable authentication and authorization framework for Delphi applications allowing for enabling, disabling, or hiding screen components dynamically.
Source to Image Builder for Dropwizardhttps://github.com/egeorge-nolab/s2i-dropwizard
This allows for the creation of CI/CD pipelines for this type of application in a Kubernetes context.
Enterprise LDAP Integration
I designed the LDAP schema to meet the needs of the new project, and also be compatible with the structure of the existing LDAP server, which was relied upon by other legacy apps. I configured Spring Security in the new app (which was EJB-based) to use LDAP.
Once the code was complete, I created scripts and LDIF files to bootstrap new installations as well as automate Dev and QA deployment with a standard set of test and demo user credentials.
Mobile Payment and Ad Streaming App
During the trip, the tablet would play video advertisements. It would receive push updates of both the application as well as the advertising content.
Migrated Multple Web Applications to use a Single Sign-on Solution
I configured Keycloak as my identity provider, using an existing LDAP server for its data store. Since all of the applications used Spring Security, I was able to configure that using the appropriate OpenID adapter.
One of the challenges with this migration was that the EJB application needed to maintain the ability to authenticate directly against LDAP. This was to allow for a smooth migration in case the new authentication scheme did not work.
Event Management System
With all of the cron jobs polling and checking, it took over 30 minutes to process something that took only a few seconds of computer time.
I saw there was a better way, so I built an event management system with Java that could trigger a task remotely when it was needed, eliminating all of the wasteful polling and waiting. The product used Java-RMI to communicate between servers and XML to define the jobs (both new technologies at the time).
I eventually licensed the product to a company who made software to synchronize data between disparate relational databases. We enhanced the product to allow for embedded Jython scripts and wrote connectors for the transaction logs of major database systems.
Spring Boot, Spring Security, Spring, JSON Web Tokens (JWT), Hibernate, JPA, Jakarta Server Pages (JSP), Swing, JUnit, Angular, Spring MVC
REST APIs, React, Spring REST, JMS, Node.js
IntelliJ, Git, Concourse CI, Jira, Postman, Keycloak, Shell, Terraform, Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS), Amazon Elastic Container Registry (Amazon ECR), Apache NiFi, Docker Compose, RabbitMQ, GitLab CI/CD
PostgreSQL, Relational Databases, Databases, Spring Data JPA, PL/SQL, IBM Db2, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Spring Data Elasticsearch, PostGIS, MySQL
Microservices, REST, Test-driven Development (TDD)
Amazon Web Services (AWS), OpenShift, Docker, Eclipse, MacOS, AS/400, Solaris, Oracle, AWS Lambda, Kubernetes, Linux
LDAP, Shell Scripting, APIs, SOAP, Mathematics, Amazon API Gateway, Testcontainers, Ant, Domain-driven Design (DDD), Enterprise Java Beans (EJB), HATEOAS
Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics
Metropolitan State University of Denver - Denver, CO