Freelance Software Engineer2019 - PRESENTWavve.co
- Added an episode-list page to Wavve.link with an expandable collection of all episodes of a podcast and an HTML 5 audio player that sticks to the bottom of the screen to play each episode (including a popover to set the playback speed).
Founder | CEO2017 - PRESENTAutomorph
Technologies: Morph, TypeScript, LLVM, Python
- Designed the programming and data language, Morph.
- Implemented the initial runtime and interpreter for Morph in Python.
- Installed a compiler for Morph using the LLVM compiler toolchain.
- Developed a web-based runtime for Morph using TypeScript.
- Designed and implemented the service- and component-oriented application framework Service.js in TypeScript.
- Designed and implemented the React UI component library Service-UI using TypeScript, React, and the CSS-in-JS library emotion.
- Designed and implemented an extensible language- and framework-independent code generation library.
- Designed an AI system for the auto-generation of source code for multi-application software systems from requirements.
- Participated in Zeroth.AI startup accelerator in Hong Kong in 2017.
Freelance Software Engineer2019 - 2019ExxonMobil
Technologies: TypeScript, React, MobX, C#, Microsoft Office Open XML, Azure Functions, Azure Translation, Azure Text-To-Speech, Google Cloud Translation, Google Cloud Text-to-speech
- Developed a translator web app for ExxonMobil's global intranet using TypeScript, React, MobX with C# Azure functions; the back end was deployed on Microsoft Azure.
- Led weekly catch-up meetings with ExxonMobil teams in the US and Malaysia and provided technical guidance for project architecture and feature implementation.
- Implemented a React component library for ExxonMobil's design system, Unity.
- Implemented a multiresolution React icon library (including tests) using code generation based on SVG source files.
- Integrated the Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud private endpoint translation APIs with the web app for text translation.
- Created a responsive application UI using React and the component libraries I created with support for switching between Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud APIs.
- Integrated text-to-speech functionality using the Howler web audio library and the Azure Cognitive Services and Google Cloud text-to-speech APIs.
- Implemented an Azure functions endpoint for translating Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint presentations and plain text documents in C# using the Office OpenXml library and the Azure and Google Cloud translation APIs.
- Integrated authentication and access control using Azure Active Directory.
- Implemented proxy endpoints for all API calls for authentication and performance monitoring using C# Azure functions.
- Added support for Unicode input using an on-screen software keyboard.
- Cleaned up and documented the codebase and documented the application architecture for future maintainers.
Contract Software Engineer2018 - 2019Octeract
Technologies: TypeScript, React, MobX, Electron
- Designed and built an IDE for creating and editing optimization problems/projects specified in the company's proprietary programming language.
- Extended the Monaco editor powering Visual Studio Code with a custom theme, language definition, and syntax completion handlers.
- Defined and implemented a custom project document file format.
Contract Software Engineer2018 - 2018AlliedCrowds
- Built a crowdfunding web app for the Islamic Development Bank (Isdb-innovate.org).
- Refactored the Vue.js codebase and integrated the Vuex state management library.
- Internationalized the back end and front end (supporting English, French, Arabic, Turkish, Bengali, Malay, Kazakh, and Indonesian).
- Designed the build system for six country-specific microsites (each localized with different design, text, and media).
- Helped launch the platform within 21 days of joining the team.
- Built a second web app with information material for entrepreneurs in Kenya and Nigeria with country-, sector- and company stage-specific information pathways within seven days.
Contract Software Engineer2017 - 2018Private Client
Technologies: TypeScript, MongoDB, React, Bitcoin, Ethereum
- Developed a blockchain explorer and cryptocurrency accounting system for Bitcoin and Ethereum.
- Implemented a method for efficiently tracking the flow of funds between different addresses.
- Deployed the system on DigitalOcean using Docker.
Contract Software Engineer2017 - 2018Private Client
Technologies: TypeScript, CCXT, MongoDB, Terraform, AWS ECS, LINE Message Bot Service
- Built a system for the real-time detection of arbitrage opportunities between cryptocurrency pairs on 94 exchanges.
- Designed the algorithm to calculate the relative and total profit opportunities from the spread, order books, the exchange, and transfer fees.
- Created an efficient long/short hedging strategy to minimize fees and maximize processing speed.
- Implemented a LINE messenger bot to send out notifications when opportunities are detected.
- Deployed the system on AWS in an ECS cluster provisioned with Terraform.
Co-founder | CEO2014 - 2017Global Graduate Marketing
- Co-founded a digital marketing agency specializing in international graduate student recruitment with $500,000 annual revenue.
- Executed short-term marketing boosts to increase applicant numbers for specific programs.
- Implemented long-term marketing strategies, increasing applicant numbers by up to 2x-3x over three years.
- Built a large and international network of online and offline advertising partners (e.g., journals, conferences, and PhD and Master search portals).
Co-founder | CEO2015 - 2015Ruuta
- Implemented a user-friendly web-based UI for Ruuta's WiFi router operating system based on OpenWrt.
- Developed partnerships with router manufacturers.
- Took part in the first cohort of the CyLon cybersecurity accelerator.
- Presented Ruuta at RISEConf in Hong Kong in August 2015.
Contract Software Engineer2015 - 2015AlliedCrowds
- Refactored the codebase and added features to a crowdfunding platform web app.
Founder2014 - 2015Kozo
- Built a template-based system for software development and deployment.
Student Assistant (Software Engineer)2014 - 2014BTC | Business Technology Consulting AG
Technologies: Java, Spring, MySQL
- Developed an inventory system using Java, Spring, and MySQL.
Freelance Web Developer2014 - 2014smart insights GmbH
- Developed the web version of the company’s tool for marketing research, "my opinion" with the functionality and design based on existing mobile apps.
- Created a survey engine supporting different types of questions and views.
- Integrated the UI with the company's pre-existing JSON API.
Various Student Assistant Positions2011 - 2014Jacobs University Bremen
- Organized events, handled technical repairs and installations, and administered to the Joomla website of the Alfried-Krupp-College (residential hall) as part of the college office team from Oct 2011 to Dec 2012.
- Supervised the public usage hours of the computer lab of the CLAMV laboratory (Computational Laboratory for Analysis, Modeling, and Visualization) from Sep 2011 to Dec 2013.
- Created the design, added content, and deployed the WordPress website of the Research Center Humanities, Modernity, and Globalization (HMG) prior to its opening conference in Jun 2011.
- Developed an online event planning system in PHP that is synchronized with an exchange calendar and integrates user login with an LDAP directory in Aug 2012.
- Developed the news carousel on the front page of the main university website and the slide show of the graduation 2013 microsite using jQuery from May 2013 to Jun 2013.
- Built a mobile-ready web app providing updated meal plans and collecting meal reviews for the university catering services in Aug 2013.
- Set up the computer lab and software for a workshop of the Basin and Petroleum System Dynamics Executive MSc program in Aug 2013.
- Created a graphical visualization tool for complex polynomials using Newton’s method for Mac OS X using Objective-C and Cocoa from Oct 2013 to Jan 2014.
- Developed a web application and data mining back-end for the analysis of search results from Google Search and Google Scholar and the semantic analysis of the search results from Nov 2013 to Jan 2014.
Freelance Typesetter2012 - 2012Prof. Birgit Mersmann
- Handled the typesetting of the client's postdoctoral thesis “Schriftikonik. Bildphänomene der Schrift in kultur- und medienkomparativer Perspektive.”.
- Converted the initial manuscript from Microsoft Word to LaTeX.
- Added support and configured the packages for supporting contemporary CJK and several ancient scripts.
- Manually corrected typesetting and formatting issues in a document with more than 200 pages.
Student Assistant2012 - 2012Fraunhofer Institute for Open Communication Systems (FOKUS)
Technologies: C#, Microsoft DirectShow
- Built a library for recognizing arbitrary cameras and capture cards; also configured camera parameters, and accessed image data using Microsoft DirectShow in C#.
- Developed calibration routines for multicamera systems.
Software Engineering Summer Intern2011 - 2011Fraunhofer Institute for Computer Architecture and Software Technology (FIRST) Internship Company NameFraunhofer Institute for Computer Architecture and Software Technology (FIRST)
Technologies: C++, C#, Microsoft Kinect, OpenNI
- Created a library and sample applications for 3D gesture control of a digital dome using Microsoft Kinect and OpenNI.
Intern (Research)2009 - 2009DESY (German Electron Synchrotron)
Technologies: Muon Plate Detector, Weather Station
- Set up and executed a continuously running two-week-long experiment to measure the weather-dependent intensity of cosmic rays and determine the half-life of muon particles using plate detectors and a weather station.
Intern (Research)2009 - 2009Humboldt University of Berlin
Technologies: C++, Root
- Evaluated and visualized data on Z^0 resonance from the LEP experiment at CERN using C++ and the Root data analysis framework.