Verified Expert in Engineering
Genc is an Android application developer with 10+ years of experience in the healthcare, marketing, and finance industries. He is an experienced technical screener at Toptal, conducting over 500 interviews, including code reviews and project evaluations. Genc developed numerous Android applications; some made it to the top 20 in their categories. He has led teams, managed projects, translated UI designs into pixel-perfect apps, and recently developed the mobile app of a private bank.
MacOS, Android, Kotlin, Mobile, Android API, RxJava, Java, Android Jetpack, Model View Viewmodel (MVVM), Clean Architecture
The most amazing...
...achievement I've delivered was to improve the quality of multi-million dollar business apps, increasing the ratings from 4.1 to 4.7 in eight months.
Team Lead | Android Engineer
- Developed a part of the Moderation module (full Jetpack composed with Kotlin) used by thousands of community moderators.
- Investigated and fixed many critical bugs impacting millions of users.
- Developed and published a big feature around feeds, which is one of the biggest features of the application, used by millions of users. Worked with four other developers.
- Reviewed hundreds of lines of Android code daily and helped less skilled developers get up to speed.
- Tracked Firebase for live bugs and helped teams to triage and fix them.
- Conducted over 500 technical interviews for positions requiring technical skills, including Android, iOS, Flutter for mobile, React, React Native, Python, and .NET.
- Code-reviewed and evaluated projects, discussed technical details with the code owners, and provided detailed feedback.
- Fine-tuned the technical screening processes and technical questions.
Senior Android Engineer
- Advanced a healthcare scheduling app, creating an easy-to-maintain and scalable tool for healthcare workers.
- Delivered the major features of the application with Kotlin and Jetpack Compose.
- Implemented a pixel-perfect UI using Figma, Android Jetpack Compose, and other native Jetpack components.
Android Team Lead
C. Hoare & Co.
- Led the design and development of four major components of the bank's mobile application: Accounts, transactions, payments, and transfers.
- Translated and implemented the pixel-perfect designs from the UI/UX team.
- Oversaw the mobile platform's architectural design, ensuring the mobile applications' stability and maintainability.
- Maintained the legacy code of the earlier application to ensure a smooth banking experience for clients.
- Mentored less skilled and junior developers through code reviews.
- Worked with the following Firebase tools: Analytics and Crashlytics.
Lead Android Developer and Architect
- Designed and developed the phone version of the existing field service management app.
- Led the front-end development and architecture of the Android application.
- Collaborated with several stakeholders (designers, QA and API teams, and managers) to ensure the platform had high code quality.
- Mentored junior developers and assisted the onboarding of new team members.
- Assisted the human resources department in building the Android team.
- Led a team of developers to maintain the older versions of the Android application.
- Worked with the following Firebase tools: Crashlytics, Analytics, A/B testing, remote configuration, real-time database, authentication, and cloud storage.
Lead Android Developer
Reach Contact Field Marketing
- Ported the tablet version of the company's flagship mobile application to phones.
- Maintained and refactored the legacy mobile application into a modern one with a proper MVVM architecture.
- Added end-to-end and unit tests to the existing codebase to ensure stable and regular releases.
- Implemented several complex UI widgets to simplify sales representatives' daily work processes.
- Joined end-users in the field and investigated how the application was being used so it could be improved accordingly.
Head of Mobile
- Managed and led several mobile and back-end developers to build the company's cloud-based messaging application.
- Developed a pixel-perfect Android application in three months from scratch based on the design team's wireframes.
- Led the architectural design meetings and made most of the decisions for the Android application.
- Developed the network layer of the Android application to ensure seamless synchronization between the back-end and the Android app.
- Traveled to Ukraine to work with a remote team to ensure high-quality collaboration between the engineering team and other stakeholders.
Senior Android Developer
- Developed the company's GPS-based commuting application for Londoners.
- Designed and implemented the MVP architecture for the Android application.
- Followed a modular approach while developing the major components of the codebase, including the network, data, views, and business use cases.
- Built complex UI components based on the back-end data received.
- Implemented geofencing to offer application users unique features based on their commuting routes in and around London.
Senior Android Developer
- Developed the popular 4-hour delivery slot of the Android application.
- Implemented several pixel-perfect UI components used by thousands of people in the UK alone.
- Built a test suite and improved the code coverage of the application with new unit tests.
- Collaborated with other teams, such as the iOS and back-end teams, to ensure high code quality.
Lead Android Developer
- Developed, with a team of eight, the company's Slots game (Android application).
- Designed and implemented the W-2G form entry to be used directly from the Android application so users can report gambling winnings.
- Implemented several GPS restrictions to ensure the application can only be used in licensed countries.
Lead Android Developer
- Served as a sole developer at the beginning and designed the architecture of the company's first financial mobile application with industry-standard best practices.
- Designed and developed four major components of the financial mobile application: aAccounts, transfers, payments, and transactions.
- Oversaw the release processes and worked with DevOps to ensure seamless releases.
- Organized technical brown-bag sessions to help juniors get up to speed.
UK Sports Betting Apphttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oddschecker.app
I modernized the application to use the latest Jetpack components, added many unit tests, and introduced Jetpack Compose to simplify some UI-heavy screens.
Full Kotlin and Jetpack Compose Application for Healthcare Workershttps://www.shiftkey.com/
Mobile Banking Apphttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobile.CHoareCo
Tesco Groceries Apphttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tesco.grocery.view
I also participated in designing and developing the application for the Thai and Malaysian markets. I created the 4-hour delivery slot component and several other app improvements.
Healthcare Scheduling Apphttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shiftkey.provider
I worked on this project as the senior Android developer and built three major components: Explore, Profile, and Shifts. Unit tests are written with MockK.
Reddit, The Biggest Social News Apphttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.reddit.frontpage&hl=en&gl=US
As a hands-on developer, I used Kotlin, Jetpack components, Jetpack compose, and MVVM / MVP daily.
Android API, REST APIs, Firebase Android SDK, RxJava, React, Retrofit 2, RxJava 2
Android Jetpack, Android Studio, Flow
Model View Viewmodel (MVVM), Clean Architecture
Android, Firebase, Mobile, Windows, MacOS, Bluetooth LE
Software Engineering, APIs, Android App Design, Code Architecture, App UI, App UX, Interviewing, Technical Hiring, Source Code Review, User Interface (UI), User Experience (UX), Coroutines, Jetpack Compose, Mobile Back-end
Master's Degree in Software Engineering
Bogazici University - Istanbul, Turkey