Verified Expert in Engineering
Amazon API Gateway Developer
Gianni has over 20 years of experience developing applications with the LAMP stack and over 15 years with Ruby on Rails. Currently, he works for an edtech company based in London as a technical architect, tasked to re-architect the platform from an old monolith app to a modern stack using cutting-edge technologies. He communicates exceptionally well in Italian and English; his strengths are efficiency, competence, and organizational skills within a teamwork and on his own.
Docker, Bitbucket, GitHub, AWS Step Functions, Amazon API Gateway, AWS Lambda, Kubernetes, AWS SAM, SDKs, Amazon CloudWatch
The most amazing...
...app I implemented was a well-architected serverless platform orchestrating Rails services using AWS-managed services like API Gateway and Step Functions.
Technical Architect | Back-end Lead
- Implemented the back- and front-end pattern using the AWS API Gateway backed by AWS Step Functions to orchestrate Rails services.
- Implemented a tool to automatically generate architecture diagrams and documentation starting from the middleware layer, extending the CDK to generate documentation during the synthesis process.
- Fostered in the company the culture of well-architected cloud native applications following the principles of the 12 factors methodology.
Senior Full-stack Engineer
- Maintained a monolith Ruby on Rails app developed by a previous team in the last five years.
- Designed a tool to automate the developer to start working on the platform, cloning the repository, creating the database, importing a staging dump, setting up the developer environment, and checking the platform's status locally.
- Implemented several new features to keep the app up-to-date with the support team's requirements.
- Designed the new version of the edtech platform app to break the monolith into several different RoR API services (user management, bookings, sessions, reports, and contracts).
- Maintained the testing framework for the edtech platform; almost 100 new tests were added, and more than 200 tests were updated.
- Developed the back end of an app to manage real estate contracts to help people handle property buy and sell exchanges.
- Tracked and fixed bugs in the existing platform using Jira as a tracking tool.
- Implemented new features using the TDD methodology by implementing specs before the feature itself.
- Implemented the auto-generation and publication of the swagger file to help communicate efficiently with the front-end team.
- Designed and built, from scratch, the framework for both the back end (PHP) and the front end (jQuery) of a complete ERP system currently used by thousands of customers across Italy.
- Designed and built an ecosystem of microservices with Ruby on Rails to create a series of services related to the CMS and eCommerce.
- Designed and built the communication API with PHP for the ERP app for the new reactive front-end app.
- Supported the front-end team with the initial test of the new front end.
- Introduced the TDD methodology across the company.
- Introduced the Agile methodology across the company.
DoF Calculator and CameraDB
I chose AWS serverless technology to achieve our goal, and I implemented the BfF pattern with AWS API Gateway and the SAGA pattern using AWS Step Functions. The observability goal has been reached using Amazon CloudWatch to trigger alarms and notifications when an unhandled error happens.
Ruby on Rails (RoR), Prototype Framework, Sinatra
jQuery, Ruby on Rails API, Vue, Node.js, React
Git, RSpec, Postman, AWS Step Functions, Amazon CloudWatch, Bitbucket, Jira, GitHub
Agile Software Development, Test-driven Development (TDD)
iOS, MacOS, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), AWS Lambda, Docker, Linux, Kubernetes
MySQL, SQLite, PostgreSQL
Web Scraping, APIs, Amazon API Gateway, Structurizr, Text Mining, AWS SAM, SDKs, Prompt Engineering
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
Università degli studi di Catania - Catania, Sicily, Italy
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring