Verified Expert in Engineering
Justin has been building web-based software professionally since 2004. He spent seven years at an agency in San Francisco, specializing in full-stack WordPress projects for clients such as Tech Crunch, Intuit, and Wikimedia. He prides himself on excellent communication and reliability.
Chrome, Terminal, Sublime Text, MacOS
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on is Intuit's design system website, which showcases the React components for TurboTax and QuickBooks within a WordPress website.
- Wrote Node.js script to manage contacts and email campaigns in Infusionsoft.
- Built new features for 2 custom WordPress websites.
- Built integration to pass WooCommerce order info to internal product API.
- Wrote a push-button script to pull report data from Infusionsoft into a Google Sheet using Zapier.
- Built email drip campaigns with “Abandoned cart” flow in Infusionsoft.
- Built new features and integrations for a custom medical app built on WordPress + WooCommerce. Set up custom reporting for WooCommerce subscriptions.
- Supported custom WordPress theme built with WooCommerce for terra cotta pottery company. Migrated custom eCommerce site from WooCommerce 2.x to 3.x and updated code to work with the new version. Set up eCommerce integration with Google Analytics.
- Built and supported custom video training site on WordPress + Easy Digital Downloads. Updated site to offer 3 free lessons instead of a 14-day trial.
Senior Web Engineer
- Led building of QuickBooks Design System website in WordPress.
- Built the Intuit Design System website in WordPress + React.
- Built Storybook website to showcase React components for QuickBooks Design System.
- Built React app to showcase React components within Intuit Design System website.
- Set up feedback mechanisms and analytics to gather quantitative and qualitative data for improving both websites.
Senior WordPress Engineer/Happiness Engineer
- Built a custom blog theme for Wikipedia's parent foundation. Followed rigid coding standards for launching the site on the WordPress VIP infrastructure. (Wikimedia Foundation).
- Built a responsive media gallery used on TechCrunch.com to display photos, videos, text, Twitter Cards, and Facebook posts. (TechCrunch).
- Built custom WordPress site for a programmatic advertising startup. Built custom integration to display jobs from third-party API. (TubeMogul).
- Iterated on the nonprofit's custom web app that brings together organic farmers and eco-tourists. Built custom reporting tools and internal software that integrated with the app. (WWOOF USA).
- Migrated 80+ separate WordPress sites into one WordPress Multisite for a nationwide fitness studio franchise. Built a custom intranet for employee training documentation. Built custom functionality to update all 80+ sites at once. (The Bar Method).
- Built new features to support advertising campaigns for a mission-driven food company over 3 years. Built custom product browsing experience and searchable/filterable learning center. (Happy Family Brands).
- Iterated on a nonprofit's WordPress-based platform that offers social enterprise training. Built custom membership features such as directories and search/filter capabilities. (REDF).
- Built a WordPress multisite, site cloning tool, and custom voting plugin for the annual SOCAP conference. (Social Capital Markets).
- Built and iterated on a custom WordPress site for a mission-driven chocolate company. Migrated content from old site, built custom functionality for recipes feature. (Alter Eco Foods).
- Integrated Salsa Labs CRM and fundraising platform into custom WordPress website for a nonprofit. (Center for Environmental Health).
- Built custom WordPress portal site for training government employees and tracking progress. Built custom reporting for administrators. (San Francisco Department of Human Resources).
- Iterated on a custom WordPress site for a biocultural nonprofit. Wrote custom scripts for importing and displaying annual grant data. (Christensen Fund).
- Maintained roles of product manager, account manager and lead engineer for many other clients including nonprofits, social enterprises, eCommerce companies, corporations and startups.
- Worked with CEO and web designers to develop websites and applications for small businesses.
- Built custom eCommerce sites for franchises like Leann Chin.
- Built custom CMS-based websites for small businesses like John Means Golf.
- Worked successfully on over 100 websites and web applications.
- Worked with IT director to build and maintain enterprise software using Visual Basic and SQL Server.
- Worked with admissions and alumni departments to develop complex reports from a large database, using SQL and Crystal Reports.
- Provided tech support to staff and students.
QuickBooks Design System Websitehttps://designsystem.quickbooks.com/
I built a React app on Storybook to showcase the QuickBooks React components.
I followed WordPress VIP's strict coding standards so the site could run on the VIP platform that powers wordpress.org.
I also built a custom plugin that allowed authors to pull images into the blog from Wikimedia Commons.
The Bar Method WordPress Multisite Migration
WWOOF USA Web Applicationhttps://wwoofusa.org/
Implemented improvements across the site based on analytics and customer feedback
jQuery, Node.js, Infusionsoft API, React, WordPress REST API, Facebook API, Twitter API, REST APIs, WordPress API
Git, Trello, Sketch 4, Terminal, Sublime Text, Crystal Reports
WordPress, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Linux, MacOS, WordPress VIP, WooCommerce
MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, SQL Server 2000
Web Development, WordPress Plugins, HubSpot, Software Development, Software Development Management, Front-end Development, APIs, eCommerce, WordPress Themes
Agile, Functional Programming, Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Computer Information Systems
Cedarville University - Cedarville, OH
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring