Verified Expert in Engineering
Kent has been an independent specialist Drupal web developer since 2008, becoming highly competent in both front-end visuals and back-end coding. Kent has skills covering the entire web development cycle, including systems analysis, web design, and server configuration—making him a valuable member of any web development team. His language and communication skills are very well developed.
Drupal, LAMP, MacOS, CSS
The most amazing...
...gadget I've made involved a religious charity selling letters, words, and paragraphs from a Hebrew version of the Torah as a fundraiser.
Senior Drupal Developer
- Created a Drupal website from scratch involving granulated custom access rules for viewing and adding content.
- Worked on a business association site involving complex license applications and purchases.
- Oversaw a web developer cadet's training and knowledge transfer into a permanent developer role in a government department.
- Created and modified an app built in Elm that obtains data from a 3rd-party auto API and displays it according to the user search on the website.
- Integrated the Elm app with a Drupal back end to enable users to save vehicles in personal garages and purchase products from the store.
- Used Drupal migration scripts to obtain and update data from a 3rd-party auto API and an eCommerce API to be displayed on the website.
- Worked as part of a team to migrate websites to Drupal 8.
- Maintained Drupal 6 and 7 websites for large retail companies.
- Created a complex Solr search for a retail business group.
Passing Phase Web Development
- Remotely developed websites for clients in Europe and North America using Drupal.
- Built custom Drupal modules, including some modules that have contributed back to the community.
- Developed custom theme templates and rendered designs provided from PSDs into highly visual and interactive websites.
- Interfaced with third-party applications using REST and cURL.
- Implemented eCommerce using Ubercart and Drupal Commerce. Implemented PayPal, Authorize.Net, DPS, and Realex payment gateways.
- Implemented continuous integration through Travis CI and third-party deployment tools such as Envoyer.io.
- Created responsive designs using breakpoints, media queries, and CSS compilers such as Sass and Less.
- Optimized sites for search engines and social media by using meta tags including title, description, Open Graph, Twitter, and others.
- Developed complex website searches using Apache Solr.
- Managed projects through all stages, from analysis to development and deployment, refining the specifications with clients before code implementation and communicating directly with clients.
Senior Drupal Developer
- Helped develop customer incident reporting form at www.police.govt.nz/use-105.
- Provided in-depth work on all aspects of web forms.
- Did extensive work with REST APIs from one Drupal website to another.
Tulane University, LA
- Created new content types and pages to display new content.
- Themed new pages using SASS and following designs provided in Photoshop.
- Used paragraphs and dynamic content systems to provide flexibility for CMS users creating the pages.
New Zealand Alpine Club
- Created a new website from scratch using Drupal 9, Drush, and Sass.
- Used a layout builder to create a number of grid pages and themed them for all device widths.
- Refined images to display optimally in retina screen devices.
- Created a new website from scratch in Drupal 8 from supplied designs.
- Installed and configured a complex Solr search using facets and keyword input with Ajax response.
- Developed a responsive image display using srcsets and picture elements.
- Imported data from spreadsheets into Drupal nodes.
- Implemented mobile and desktop designs and tested across all device widths.
- Implemented accessibility to WCAG 2.1 compliance sitewide.
- Created three websites with a team for an enterprise client.
- Performed DevOps using Travis CI in a continuous integration tool.
- Implemented REST calls using Drupal core and contributed modules.
- Created custom modules in Drupal 8 to carry out specific requirements.
- Maintained the code and practices according to Drupal standards and contributed back to the community.
- Managed Docker pods inside a Kubernetes cluster for site deployment.
- Developed several Solr search blocks with complex filters.
- Created a dynamic content management system involving paragraphs and field collections to overcome Drupal theme template pitfalls and enable the client to create their own dynamic site layout.
- Led a team of three back-end and four front-end developers to implement project requirements.
Lead Web Developer
- Created an install profile for Member Association sites using a type of third-party software, Association Anywhere (AA).
- Maintained multiple AA website installs.
- Built and maintained suite of custom modules.
- Worked on front-end styling, full-width images, and responsive design.
- Oversaw junior and front-end developers.
- Advised business owners on the best approach.
BLUNT Umbrellas NZ
- Built an eCommerce site for Blunt (Bluntumbrellas.com/nz) using layer sliders, background videos, image sliders, and embedded views.
- Created an initial build of a peer-to-peer lending platform LendMe (Lendme.co.nz) using Drupal Forms API and jQuery.
- Performed maintenance on multiple client websites.
Senior Web Developer
- Participated in a build of Assessment Resource Banks' (ARBS) website (Arbs.nzcer.org.nz).
- Worked in a team of eight developers.
- Used Git feature branches.
- Attended regular standups as part of the Agile development process.
- Consulted with other team members about the best approach.
In 2015, I rebuilt the Drupal 6 website with a new responsive theme operating on mobile, tablet, and desktop varieties, using a design supplied by Rareview that uses Modernizr for image resizing.
The site is a fully responsive graphical site with images stretching full width on all devices. The pages were created enabling the client to add any of the above components to the site by themselves via the back-end.
The site has been spun off into multiple subsites corresponding with different countries using different languages.
Chorus Consumer Websitehttp://chorus.co.nz
Chorus Service Provider Websitehttps://sp.chorus.co.nz/
Assessment Resource Banks
Features of the website include a fully responsive theme, a number of search options, available from the home page and use of isotope masonry tiles for display of information. A module created for this site was contributed back to Drupal. This module, called Tag-it using a third party jQuery plugin, creates a "chosen" style functionality for text fields.
There is no link for this website since the content is not available outside New Zealand.
American Society of Consultant Pharmicists
Each conference is controlled by a single content type making it easy to set up a conference. When browsing a conference, session variables hold information about the current conference so that all information displayed relates only to that conference. The result is a dynamic-and-lightweight means of managing multiple ongoing conferences.
Features of this site include the following:
• An install profile to create a standard association website from which customizations can be made dependent on the client.
• A full-width image slider on the home page that is responsive and loads smaller images for smaller devices.
• An Apache Solr search.
• A microsite system that enables a number of subpages for an event.
American Trial Lawyers Associationhttps://www.actl.com/
Features of this site include:
• An Apache Solr search including congruent exact and partial searches.
Building Owners and Managers Association of Greater Los Angeleshttps://www.bomagla.org/
Views Reference Contributed Module
Heart of the Cityhttps://heartofthecity.co.nz/dining
Drupal Commerce, Bootstrap, Codeception
jQuery, Drupal Modules, PayPal API, Google AdSense, jQuery Plugins, Authorize.net, Social APIs
Microsoft Word, Git, Google Analytics, Apache Solr, PhpStorm, Apache, Jira, Microsoft Excel, Solr, Varnish, Parallels Plesk Panel, Basecamp, Bitbucket, GitHub, VirtualBox, Grunt, Adobe Photoshop, Fireworks, Ansible, Travis CI, Webpack
Drupal, Drupal 8, Drupal 6, Drupal 7, LAMP, Windows XP, WordPress, MacOS, Kubernetes, Pantheon, cPanel, Windows, Linux
eCommerce, Content Management Systems (CMS), Communication, Writing & Editing, Zen Cart, Software Development, Wamp, Audio, Ubercart, Image Manipulation, Ajax, Business Analysis, Third-party Libraries, Migration, Drupal 9, Drupal Layout Builder, Accessibility, Server Administration, Videos, Elm Architecture, PHP 8
Responsive Development, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Agile, REST, DevOps
Bachelor's Degree in Psychology
Massey University - Palmerston North, New Zealand
Certificate in Business Computing in Computer Engineering
HB Polytechnic - Auckland, New Zealand