Machine Learning Engineer | Data Scientist | Technical Screener2017 - PRESENTToptal and Toptal Clients
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Keras, OpenCV, Pandas, Python 3, SQL, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning, Algorithms, Scikit-learn, TensorFlow, Python, Computer Vision, Deep Neural Networks, Data Science, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Deep Learning, PyTorch, Regression, Regression Modeling, Classification, Neural Networks, Convolutional Neural Networks, XGBoost, Visualization, Recommendation Systems, Image Recognition, Predictive Modeling, CatBoost, Language Models, Linux, OCR, Minimum Viable Product (MVP)
- Interviewed 500 Toptal candidates as a technical screener for the artificial intelligence and data science specializations.
- Worked for more than two years on an NLP project focusing on language models and social media post analysis.
- Developed a computer vision pipeline with a convolutional neural network model for the visual analysis of lab samples.
- Developed a predictive model for chronic disease detection from genomic data using Spark.
- Built predictive models of customer behavior (churn, lifetime, and spending).
- Developed a convolutional neural network model for sound recognition and classification.
- Developed a computer vision/machine learning service for automatic lab sample assessment.
- Architected an automated test assessment tool (computer vision, OCR).
Machine Learning Developer2021 - 2023Trust & Safety Laboratory Inc.
Technologies: Python, Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Deep Neural Networks, CatBoost, Language Models, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Regression, Regression Modeling, Classification, Neural Networks, XGBoost, Visualization, Deep Learning, PyTorch, Linux
- Developed and maintained an NLP model and the pipeline.
- Processed texts from textual databases and reviews.
- Developed language models for semantic text comparison.
- Scraped web articles and social networks for targeted content.
- Developed a model for detecting targeted content in posts.
Data Scientist2020 - 2021Freelance Clients
Technologies: Data Science, Predictive Modeling, Predictive Analytics, Clinical Trials, Genomics, Classification
- Developed a model for detecting early stages of cancer based on genomic data.
- Developed a model for detecting chronic kidney disease based on genomic data.
- Dealt with both small datasets and huge ones using Spark.
Software Development Engineer2017 - 2018Amazon
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Full-stack, Java, Linux
- Developed services for Amazon's global fashion retail program.
- Set up and deployed services for European markets.
- Worked with notifications, email services, and templates.
Research Scholar2015 - 2016Drexel University
Technologies: Pandas, Python 3, Data Science, Java, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning, Algorithms, Python, Classification, Visualization
- Brought in as a visiting scholar at the Department of Computer Science, Database Group.
- Researched mining and modeling rank and preference data.
- Implemented a Java library for handling and mining rank and preference data.
- Published papers on novel approaches to model user preferences.
Research Engineer2012 - 2015INRIA
Technologies: Python 3, Data Science, Java, Machine Learning, Algorithms, MATLAB, Python, C, C++, Classification, Visualization, Linux
- Parallelized machine learning algorithms (SVM, affinity propagation (AP), gradient descent, and more).
- Conducted high-performance computing low-level optimization. Adapted algorithms for a large-memory (8 TB RAM) NUMA architecture, on a low level (in C/C++), with cache processes' awareness, memory block latencies, and process to the core assignment.
- Worked on a semantic web project (RDF, Wikidata mining). Implemented a crawler and category recommender system for Wikipedia.
Assistant Professor2011 - 2012Metropolitan University
Technologies: Java, UML, Web, University Teaching
- Taught at the undergraduate and graduate level, including courses in web systems and applications, distributed systems, and information system design.
- Worked on the development of the university information system and its business process management workflow.
Post-doc Researcher2010 - 2011University of Eastern Piedmont
Technologies: OpenCV, Java, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning, Algorithms, MATLAB, C, C++, Computer Vision, Visualization, Image Recognition
- Worked on a European Space Agency project on using computer vision for Mars Lander navigation.
- Implemented a real-time navigation system in C/C++ with OpenCV. Analyzed the image stream from the camera attached to the bottom of Mars Lander with the task of calculating the position of the lander (coordinates, altitude, attitudes).
- Tracked features in the video. Filtered the output and combined information with other sensors (lidar, inertial measurement unit).
- Modeled Mars surface in Java 3D.
- Built a Mars Lander landing simulator in C/C++ and MATLAB.
Ph.D. Student2006 - 2010University of Turin, Department of Computer Science
Technologies: Data Science, Java, Machine Learning, Algorithms, Weka, Predictive Modeling
- Completed doctoral studies in the field of data mining and machine learning.
- Performed text mining and document classification on local government data (NLP).
- Researched sequential pattern mining, recognizing users by keyboard strokes.
- Developed a log mining model for predicting usage of a grid computing network.
- Contributed to fields of graph analysis and complex systems analysis.
Software Engineer2001 - 2006RCUB
Technologies: Full-stack, SQL, Java, UML, HTML, Web, Databases
- Designed and architected a wide area network monitoring system used in several huge organizations and companies (banks and telecommunications).
- Designed, implemented, and led the team of the hospital information system currently in use in about 75% of the hospitals in Serbia.
- Gained experience in all aspects of the implementation of large information systems, from interviews, specifications, and UML models to database design, back-end business logic, front end, web (including web design), and stand-alone clients.
- Designed, architected, and implemented a government information system, fleet management system, and more.