Machine Learning Engineer, Data Scientist, and Technical Screener2017 - PRESENTToptal and Toptal Clients
Technologies: Python, TensorFlow, Scikit-learn, OpenCV
- Interviewed more than 200 Toptal candidates as a technical screener for artificial intelligence and data science specializations.
- Developed a convolutional neural network model for sound recognition and classification.
- Developed a neural network model for visual analysis of lab samples.
- Created predictive modeling of chronic diseases from genomic data using Spark.
- Developed predictive models of customer behavior (churn, lifetime, and spending).
Software Development Engineer2017 - 2018Amazon
- Developed services for global fashion retail.
Research Scholar2015 - 2016Drexel University
Technologies: Java, Python, Machine Learning
- Brought in as a visiting scholar at the Department of Computer Science, Database Group.
- Researched mining and modeling rank and preference data.
- Implemented a Java library for handling and mining rank and preference data.
- Published papers on novel approaches to model user preferences.
Research Engineer2012 - 2015INRIA
Technologies: Java, C/C++, Python, MATLAB
- Parallelized machine learning algorithms (SVM, affinity propagation, neural networks, etc.).
- Conducted high-performance computing on low level. Adapted algorithms for a large-memory (8 TB RAM) NUMA architecture, on a low level (in C/C++), with the awareness of cache processes, memory blocks latencies, and exact control over the assignment of threads to cores.
- Worked on a semantic web project (RDF, Wikidata mining). Implemented a crawler and category recommender system for Wikipedia.
- Managed big data and ETL processes.
Assistant Professor2011 - 2012Metropolitan University
Technologies: Java, Web, UML
- Taught at the undergraduate and graduate level, including courses in web systems and applications, distributed systems, and information system design.
- Worked on development of the university information system and its business process management workflow.
Post-doc Researcher2010 - 2011University of Eastern Piedmont
Technologies: Java, C/C++, MATLAB
- Worked on a European Space Agency project on using computer vision for Mars Lander navigation.
- Implemented a real-time navigation system in C/C++ with OpenCV. Analyzed the image stream from the camera attached to the bottom of Mars Lander with the task of calculating the position of the lander (coordinates, altitude, attitudes).
- Tracked features in the video. Filtered the output and combined information with other sensors (lidar, inertial measurement unit).
- Modeled the Mars surface in Java 3D.
- Built a Mars Lander landing simulator in C/C++ and MATLAB.
Ph.D. Student2006 - 2010University of Turin, Department of Computer Science
Technologies: Java, Weka
- Completed doctoral studies in the field of data mining and machine learning.
- Performed text mining and document classification on local government data (NLP).
- Researched sequential pattern mining; recognizing users by keyboard strokes.
- Developed a log mining model for predicting usage of a grid computing network.
- Contributed to fields of graph analysis and complex systems analysis.
Software Engineer2001 - 2006RCUB
Technologies: Java, Web stack, UML
- Designed and architected a wide area network monitoring system, used in several huge organizations and companies (banks and telecommunications).
- Designed, implemented, and led the team of the hospital information system currently in use in about 75% of the hospitals in Serbia.
- Gained experience in all aspects of the implementation of large information systems, from interviews, specifications, and UML model to database design, back-end business logic, front end, web (including web design), and stand-alone clients.
- Worked on a government information system, fleet management system, and more.