- Full-stack Web DeveloperpPresence (Contract)2017 - 2017
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, Node.js, OAuth2, PostgreSQL
- Developed numerous prototypes in Node.js and Rails for testing/proving a personal data container concept.
- Built JSON APIs in Node.js for consumption by 3rd party platforms.
- Used OAuth 2.0 to authenticate across multiple services.
- Created a backlog of user stories and provided estimates for development work.
- Designed regression/integration tests for important parts of codebase that had already been written.
- Full-stack DeveloperBarclays (Contract)2017 - 2017
Technologies: Node.js, Angular, Mongo, Cucumber
- Created a prototype in Node.js/Angular for a new internal HR management tool.
- Guided remote developers in India on how to provide integration tests.
- Scoped user stories and provided remote developers with test requirements.
- Provided demonstrations of prototype to internal stakeholders.
- Created documentation for other members of the team so that they could easily integrate with and work on the project.
- Lead Back-end DeveloperNews UK (Contract)2016 - 2017
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, Amazon AWS, Urban Airship
- Led back-end development for Sun Goals football app as part of migration to an HTTPS JSON API backend.
- Provided mentoring and pairing for junior Rails developer, using remote screen sharing.
- Contributed to creation and grooming of user stories for sprint backlogs.
- Documented back-end endpoints, usage, and permissions details for app developers.
- Oversaw deployment to production of back-end using News UK's internal system.
- Full-stack Web DeveloperEastMeetEast (Contract)2016 - 2016
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, CoffeeScript, Sinatra, Fast Artificial Neural Network
- Created a novel "scam detector" service using Machine Learning (Neural Network) that learned as more data was collected.
- Added valuable new features for increasing uptake/conversions.
- Successfully communicated and discussed ideas remotely across multiple timezones.
- Senior Full-stack Web DeveloperNew Bamboo (now Thoughtbot London)2008 - 2015
- Created popular open source Ruby library Dragonfly, for on-demand image resizing, 1.5 million downloads, http://markevans.github.io/dragonfly.
- Developed projects for many clients including Vodafone, Intel, Disney, Channel 5, News UK, Amnesty, Which?, Spabreaks, Hounslow council, Brojure, JobsGoPublic, many more.
- Provided evaluations and estimates of work for potential new clients.
- Facilitated and contributed to user story workshops to scope out project requirements from the beginning, and in retrospective meetings to constantly improve the development process.
- Met with clients weekly to demo work done, groom the project backlog and plan subsequent work.
- Mentored and guided junior developers to ease them into projects.
- Full-stack Web DeveloperWide Area Communications2007 - 2008
- Designed and developed Indesign importer tool, saving Spectator Magazine many hours of work weekly.
- Developed Apollo Magazine website.
- Ran weekly reports for Dennis Publishing using SQL.
- Research ScientistBAE Systems2003 - 2006
Technologies: C++, Matlab, Latex2e
- Developed blob tracking software using C++.
- Built C++ utility libraries used by other researchers in the department (of 45).
- Led research project investigating Simultaneous Localization and Mapping technology for robotic systems, using Bayesian methods.
- Saved Airbus many thousands of pounds yearly developing a magnetic aircraft wing screw system.
- Gained an advanced C++ qualification.