Verified Expert in Engineering
Mark has over two decades of experience as a team leader and an individual contributor in results-driven, highly adaptive environments. He is adept at defining technical vision and business strategy and developing products and solutions that deliver immediate value for companies. He is a proven communicator and team builder and an expert in the modern technologies and frameworks used in full-stack, back-end, and embedded development environments.
The most amazing...
...thing I've built is a home automation solution combining low-cost custom devices, cloud back end, and mobile management apps into a single end-to-end solution.
Vice President of Engineering
- Managed a team of over 30 data architects and software engineers in the US and India to develop SaaS AI/ML analytics platforms and data warehouse and data lake solutions for the EVERSANA ACTICS portfolio.
- Grew the data and analytics business revenue by 193% YoY and grew EBITDA from negative to over $5 million from 2020 to 2021. Exceeded 2021 revenue targets by over 7%.
- Developed software architecture for public cloud apps on AWS and Azure. Provided technical leadership to teams that develop data models, security frameworks, and application architectures to enable the delivery of data and AI/ML-driven analytics.
- Designed, implemented, and deployed the PRDICT predictive analytics platform for a Fortune 500 client. PRDICT delivers an intuitive interface for customers to run ML-driven predictive models for brand trends.
- Implemented software engineering best practices and agile transformations, including standardized SCM and tooling, CI/CD and test automation, database configuration management, and infrastructure as code.
- Developed engineering talent within the D&A team. Held regular software engineering training sessions, and ramped up junior engineers in the US and India through architecture deep dives, pair programming, and design and code reviews.
Vice President of Product
- Defined product strategy and roadmap for the Mavenir Business Monetization Platform. Managed sales and operations teams in the US and LATAM to sell and deploy the MBMP into carrier networks and operationalize chatbot and data rewards campaigns.
- Worked with engineering and product teams to define features and execute development plans. Integrated product management and engineering processes into Mavenir, reducing OpEx and improving the scalability of the product development lifecycle.
- Managed P&L for the monetization business, including sales forecast and funnel, bookings, billings, and operational expenses. Implemented a strategy that grew revenue from $3 million in FY 2018 to $7.5 million in FY 2019 and $14 million in FY 2020.
Vice President of Firmware Engineering
- Managed a team of 12 software engineers, manufacturing testers, and field testers in the US and India, developing embedded device software for the Dynamics portfolio of battery-powered payment cards.
- Grew engineering team capacity through new hires and by implementing best practices. Met or exceeded all goals for employee retention and engagement and focused on professional development for the engineering team as a low-cost force multiplier.
- Acted as a principal software architect for the card portfolio. Designed and implemented embedded and application software for the cards, cloud applications, and manufacturing systems.
- Collaborated with hardware, magnetics, and manufacturing teams to create and execute hardware and firmware roadmaps, including ASIC requirements, design, and verification.
Vice President of Software Engineering
Green Edge Technologies
- Managed a team of six US-based engineers and 12 contract engineers in Vietnam, developing embedded device software, Android UI software, and AWS-based distributed management software for the EDGEHome home automation solution.
- Acted as product owner for the EDGEhome system software, with final responsibility to create and execute the product roadmap for the EDGEhome home automation portfolio.
- Met with builders, developers, electricians, and city inspectors to evangelize and market the portfolio and ensure end-user interests were reflected in product requirements and architecture.
- Implemented agile software methodology, repeatable build practices, and automated test frameworks for embedded firmware and cloud software products.
- Designed, implemented, and tested software for low-cost consumer devices as part of the EDGEhome solution. Wrote software for device discovery and provisioning, message routing, firmware upload, software image management, and message encryption.
As the head of software engineering, I had the final responsibility to create and execute the software product roadmap for the EDGEhome home automation portfolio. I designed, implemented, and tested the device software, including modules for device discovery and provisioning, message routing, firmware upload, software image management, message encryption, and device authentication. In addition, I implemented Agile software methodology, repeatable build practices, and automated test frameworks across all of the various code bases we used.
.NET, ASP.NET Core MVC, Django, Blazor, .NET Core, Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), Cypress, Selenium, Redux, Next.js
Git, JSX, GitHub, Confluence, Figma
Windows, AWS Lambda, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Linux, Oracle, Docker, Raspberry Pi, Azure, Android, Mapbox
Databases, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Neo4j, Elasticsearch
Distributed Systems, Full-stack, Back-end, Embedded Systems, SaaS, Leadership, Full-stack Development, Charts, Front-end, APIs, Optimization, Telecom Equipment & Solutions, API Integration, Architecture, Software Design, Legacy Code, Legacy Software, Integration, Microcontrollers, Mathematics, SOLID Principles, Web Development, Technical Leadership, Responsive Web Apps, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, MSP430, Minimum Viable Product (MVP), Microsoft Azure, Healthcare & Insurance, Mobile Advertising, Smart Homes, Fintech, Technical Writing, Writing & Editing, Progressive Web Applications (PWA), Migration, CI/CD Pipelines, Hardware Drivers, Data Analysis, 5G, Low Code, Bitcoin, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Localization, Yocto, QA Automation, Hardware, GPT, Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT)
ETL, Microservices, Low-code Development
Master's Degree in Computer Science
DePaul University - Chicago, IL, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University - Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University - Pittsburgh, PA, USA