Bratislava, Bratislava Region, Slovakia
Toptal Member Since
May 26, 2015
Martin is a full-stack developer who believes in clean, idiomatic, and well-tested code behind great user interfaces. He loves developing software that enables innovation and makes a positive impact on people's lives.
Martin is available for hireHire Martin
Buzzfeed Product Labs (via Toptal)
React, Node.js, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby
React, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby
Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby
ExperienceRuby - 8 yearsRuby on Rails (RoR) - 8 yearsPostgreSQL - 6 yearsReact - 3 yearsTypeScript - 1 yearReact Native - 1 year
The most amazing...
...thing I've coded is my own operating system kernel.
2017 - 2018
Buzzfeed Product Labs (via Toptal)
- Developed affiliate software connecting thousands of Shopify merchants with BuzzFeed editors.
- Worked both on-site in New York and remotely with a great team distributed across three continents.
Technologies: React, Node.js, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby
2016 - 2017
- Developed applications for selling online courses on programming, design, and other digital abilities.
- Implemented new features and improved old code in legacy applications.
- Developed new applications striving for high coding standards from the beginning.
- Provided advice on technical issues and mentored junior developers.
Technologies: React, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby
2015 - 2016
- Worked on a back-end API for mobile apps.
- Had to respond to ever-changing requirements while maintaining backwards compatibility of APIs.
- Integrated data from back-end services provided by the client.
- Worked in an international environment on a team of more than 20 people.
Technologies: Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby
2013 - 2015
- Worked on a CRM system with multiple user roles and complex data export features.
- Worked on a few smaller projects (client projects, prototypes of startup ideas).
- Worked on an IoT project involving indoor localization, processing 1000s events/second and visualizing analytical data.
- Developed algorithms for indoor localization using iBeacons (geometry and machine learning).
- Focused on back-end development on a team of 5 people.
Technologies: Ruby on Rails (RoR)
2009 - 2013
- Designed multiple small web sites on Drupal.
- Worked on an educational web app for a multi-level marketing network with complex business logic.
- Worked on an e-shop with extensive data import and export features.
- Worked on an app to visualize Slovak laws for an NGO.
- Worked as a freelance web developer with clients, designers and other developers.
Technologies: Ruby on Rails (RoR), PHP
The first and probably the only wedding website builder in Slovakia. I developed the back-end using Ruby on Rails and a co-founder handled the front-end. We put too many features into our MVP and some users ended up having problems we would never imagine, but over 300 couples created their websites using our service.
Website that aggregates daily menus of student canteens in Bratislava with almost 5,000 unique visitors/month. I learned a lot about the importance of marketing and SEO on this project.
Website aggregating and visualizing statistics about Internet domains in Slovakia. The application also used to crawl all the Slovak domains and analyze which frameworks and libraries power them. I did some worldwide statistics by using a sample of 3 million domains. This was my first Rails project.
Researching ways of collecting and storing user data in an application to organize scientific papers. I developed many useful features to internal university projects like integration with external services (Mendeley) or natural language processing APIs.
The application aims to help schools with poor Internet connectivity get better access to the web. It works as a multi-platform proxy server that caches and preloads web sites. I built a Ruby testing framework for the proxy server and developed multiple features such as local network synchronization or automatic updates.
This project focused on implementing scrapers of public data in Slovakia and researching ways of integrating them. I implemented scrapers for government websites in Ruby and a framework for experiments with machine learning in Java. Later, we provided the software to an organization watching transparency in Slovakia.
Ruby, TypeScript, GraphQL, PHP, CoffeeScript, ECMAScript (ES6), SCSS
Ruby on Rails (RoR), React Native, Bootstrap, Sinatra
jQuery, React, MobX, Stripe, Node.js
Git, Expo.io, Capistrano
Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Test-driven Development (TDD), Scrum, Functional Programming
Heroku, Linux, MacOS, Docker, Firebase
PostgreSQL, MongoDB, MySQL, Elasticsearch, Redis
Apollo, Browser Plugins
2009 - 2014
Master's Degree in Software Engineering
Slovak University of Technology - Bratislava, Slovakia