Senior DevOps Engineer2016 - 2019Schibsted Media Group
Technologies: Automation, DevOps, Linux, AWS, Python
- Bootstrapped the observability team in Schibsted, taking over services from previous owners, defining operational procedures, and making initial service automations.
- Created the onboarding procedure for the observability team and onboarded and mentored eight engineers (devops and SRE) to the team.
- Created automated provisioning for the metrics system to AWS accounts and Kubernetes namespaces which requires only three steps to be executed. This kept us from creating potential snowflakes in over 300 accounts and namespaces. Afterwards, it was abstracted and re-utilized for 10 services by three teams.
- Designed and implemented a high-availability multi-AWS region metrics and alarming system.
- Built an AWS cost allocation and optimization platform.
- Improved the Schibsted AWS account bootstrapping process.
- Enabled the search engineering team and Subito (Italy), helping the teams onboard the common Schibsted platform services, architecture, technical advice, and mentoring.
Senior Software Engineer2015 - 2016GetFinancing
Technologies: Python, MongoDB, CouchDB, Django
- Improved load speed of slow pages up to 90% and 50% on average (Q4 shopping season availability).
Systems Engineer II - Network Monitoring2012 - 2014Amazon.com
Technologies: Automation, DevOps, Systems Engineering, Python
- Automated a provisioning tool for an SNMP monitoring system. It saved approximately eight hours of manual engineer work per install with about 200 installations scheduled in the following six months and used also for base lining manually provisioned installs. The system was designed to do everything from partitioning the disk, bootstrapping the system, and installing the deployment system client to post install validation and updating dashboards after the new install. It supports remote hands mode for high security networks—GovCloud for the US Department of Defense and AWS Secret region for the US Central Intelligence Agency.
- Streamlined tools for provisioning and managing the SNMP monitoring system.
- Built new, improved, and aggregated metrics and dashboards for SNMP monitoring system health.
- Provisioned tool support for deployment using remote hands in high-security networks—ITAR (US Department of Defense) and private customer cloud networks (Central Intelligence Agency).
- Built a system for managing discovery of network devices—daily rediscovery, priority (re)discovery, and device credentials rotation.
- Performance tested and optimized a new SNMP monitoring system.
- Communicated with third-party vendors of the SNMP monitoring system—technical and management.
Systems Engineer - Computing Systems Infrastructure2011 - 2012Amazon.com
Technologies: DevOps, System Engineering, Perl, Python, MySQL
- Developed datacenter operations metrics and tools.
- Owned an internal Amazon Web Services dashboard.
- Upgraded Amazon retail DNS (excluding Route 53) software, improving automation and executing key upgrades.
Lead Web Developer and System Administrator2002 - 2010Make-a-Store
Technologies: PHP, Perl, MySQL, Apache, Nginx, Memcached
- Enabled fully automated provisioning of new customer websites in order to allow the marketing of a free product edition that requires no manual work at all.
- Automated bandwidth accounting and quota cut offs or bandwidth surcharge depending on package.
- Worked as part of a team, implemented the API calls and back end but not the UI.