Verified Expert in Engineering
DevOps Engineer and Developer
Michelle is passionate about scaling projects and prototyping and starting projects quickly. She uses automation, process streamlining, and lean methodologies to get easy and consistent results quickly. Michelle has a background as a web developer and systems/DevOps engineer and a total of 18 years of professional experience in companies ranging from 10 to over 100 thousand employees.
Git, Atom, Python, Linux
The most amazing...
...automation I've created is a provisioning tool for Amazon to save 1,600 hours of manual engineering work in the first six months.
Senior DevOps Engineer
Client Under NDA
- Created Greenfield platform for mixed load with AWS and on-prem.
- Co-led the project observability, service mesh, and continuous integration.
- Collaborated as a part of the senior engineers' committee to help guide the team's technical direction.
- Created network architecture changes to create private subnets and restrict access to the minimum required operation.
- Redesigned security groups to restrict access to minimum required.
- Added minimum permissions AWS SSO (single sign-on) group permissions.
- Implemented AWS RDS database access via temporary IAM credentials.
- Added secure access to the company's infrastructure via managed VPN and SSH bastion host for the BI system.
- Migrated Kubernetes from Heroku to Amazon EKS as part of my role.
- Deployed a Ruby on Rails service in a Heroku backward compatible way and auxiliary services to Kubernetes using CircleCI and TeamCity.
- Automated an AWS infrastructure with Terraform and implemented automation with Python and Shell.
Senior DevOps Engineer
Schibsted Media Group
- Bootstrapped the observability team in Schibsted, taking over services from previous owners, defining operational procedures, and making initial service automations.
- Created the onboarding procedure for the observability team and onboarded and mentored eight DevOps and SRE engineers.
- Created automated provisioning for the metrics system to AWS accounts and Kubernetes namespaces. This kept us from making snowflakes in over 300 accounts and namespaces. Afterward, it was abstracted and reutilized for ten services by three teams.
- Designed and implemented a high-availability multi-AWS region metrics and alarming system.
- Built an AWS cost allocation and optimization platform.
- Improved the Schibsted AWS account bootstrapping process.
- Enabled the search engineering team and Subito in Italy, helping the teams onboard the standard Schibsted platform services, architecture, technical advice, and mentoring.
Senior Software Engineer
- Improved load speed of slow pages up to 90% and 50% on average (Q4 shopping season availability).
Systems Engineer II - Network Monitoring
- Automated a provisioning tool for an SNMP monitoring system. It saved approximately eight hours of manual engineer work per install with about 200 installations scheduled in the following six months and used also for base lining manually provisioned installs. The system was designed to do everything from partitioning the disk, bootstrapping the system, and installing the deployment system client to post install validation and updating dashboards after the new install. It supports remote hands mode for high security networks—GovCloud for the US Department of Defense and AWS Secret region for the US Central Intelligence Agency.
- Streamlined tools for provisioning and managing the SNMP monitoring system.
- Built new, improved, and aggregated metrics and dashboards for SNMP monitoring system health.
- Provisioned tool support for deployment using remote hands in high-security networks—ITAR (US Department of Defense) and private customer cloud networks (Central Intelligence Agency).
- Built a system for managing discovery of network devices—daily rediscovery, priority (re)discovery, and device credentials rotation.
- Performance tested and optimized a new SNMP monitoring system.
- Communicated with third-party vendors of the SNMP monitoring system—technical and management.
Systems Engineer — Computing Systems Infrastructure
- Developed data-center operations metrics and tools.
- Owned an internal AWS dashboard for infrastructure teams.
- Upgraded Amazon retail DNS, excluding Route 53, software, improving automation, and executing key upgrades.
Lead Web Developer and System Administrator
- Enabled fully automated provisioning of new customer websites in order to allow the marketing of a free product edition that requires no manual work at all.
- Automated bandwidth accounting and quota cut offs or bandwidth surcharge depending on package.
- Worked as part of a team, implemented the API calls and back end but not the UI.
Automated Provisioning for a Metrics Platform in AWS and Kubernetes
Deployment Automation for SNMP Monitoring System
The tool was also used for base lining manually provisioned installs. It was designed to do everything from partitioning the disk, bootstrapping the system, and installing the deployment system client to post-install validation and updating dashboards after the new install. It supports remote hands mode for high-security networks, including GovCloud for the US Department of Defense and AWS Secret for the US Central Intelligence Agency.
Network Device Discovery Manager
Automated Provisioning of New Customer Websites
NGINX, Apache, AWS CloudFormation, Amazon CloudFront CDN, Subversion (SVN), CVS, Git, Atom, Amazon EKS, Amazon Elastic Container Registry (ECR), Grafana, Vagrant, Perforce, Terraform, CircleCI, TeamCity, AWS IAM, VPN, Vault, Logging
DevOps, Scrum, Kanban, Model View Presenter (MVP), Continuous Deployment, Automation, Continuous Delivery (CD), Continuous Integration (CI)
Linux, Ubuntu Linux, Debian Linux, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Docker, Amazon EC2, AWS Lambda, Kubernetes, Heroku, Xen
MySQL, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Memcached, CouchDB, Amazon DynamoDB, Datadog, MongoDB, PostgreSQL
AWS DevOps, System Administration, Task Automation, Amazon Route 53, DNS, Lean Development, Systems Engineering, Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Payment Gateways, Web Security, Security Groups, Tekton, Loki, Prometheus
CFEngine, Jinja, Flask, Django
Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering
Rusenski Universitet - Ruse, Bulgaria
Zend Certified Engineer PHP5