PHP Developer in Castleconnell, Ireland
Member since March 6, 2014
Michael is a full-stack developer with thirteen years of experience. He brings a great balance of technical and business expertise to the table. He is experienced with vanilla PHP websites as well as CakePHP and Laravel frameworks. On the front-end, he is experienced with Bootstrap, jQuery, and Vue.js. He's also gained project management experience, leading teams and working directly with clients to build projects from start to finish.
Senior Laravel Developer2017 - PRESENTMclowd
- Implemented a wrapper solution to migrate their existing vanilla PHP code base to Laravel.
- Implemented critical features in the new Practitioner Edition of the software, enabling the company to boost revenue.
- Deployed using Elastic Beanstalk with AWS.
- Worked remotely with a company based in Australia.
Full-stack PHP Developer2016 - PRESENTNZProtein
Technologies: Laravel 5.4, Vue.js, Twitter Bootstrap
- Rebuilt the NZProtein website in Laravel 5.3.
- Built the CSS with Twitter Bootstrap.
Lead Developer2013 - PRESENTAdam Block Design
Technologies: CakePHP, WordPress, Authorize.Net API, PayPal API, Endicia API, Twitter Bootstrap
- Developed multiple websites with CakePHP.
- Integrated various APIs, such as Authorize.Net, PayPal, and Endicia.
- Built an OMS, working with a large database.
- Assisted and worked with WordPress.
- Managed a team of developers and worked directly with a front-end developer.
- Handled the server administration for multiple websites on an Ubuntu Server.
PHP Developer2004 - PRESENTBuilding Tender Services
Technologies: CakePHP 3, Twitter Bootstrap
- Developed the original website back in 2004; it was rebuilt in 2008 using CakePHP.
- Began redeveloping a new release of the website in CakePHP 3 and Twitter Bootstrap.
PHP Developer2004 - PRESENTElive Limited
- Maintained one of the largest online stores in New Zealand, a website built in Vanilla PHP.
- Developed the admin portal in CakePHP.
CakePHP Developer2016 - 2017Nomadic Real Estate (via Toptal)
Technologies: CakePHP 2, Twitter Bootstrap
- Implemented new features for an existing CakePHP 2 application.
- Wrote various unit tests to ensure the code remained stable.
Lead Developer2016 - 2017Babridge (via Toptal)
Technologies: CakePHP 2, Stripe API
- Helped refactor an existing CakePHP 2 code base.
- Wrote various unit tests to ensure the code base remained solid.
- Worked with the Stripe API.
Full-stack PHP Developer2016 - 2017AccountancyFair
Technologies: CakePHP 3, Twitter Bootstrap, Vue.js, HTML, CSS
- Developed using CakePHP 3.
- Implemented and modified a Bootstrap template.
- Used Vue.js on the front-end.
- Implemented the CakeDC search plugin for advanced search.
- Implemented Stripe payment gateway.
- Handled the server administration from start to finish.
PHP Developer2015 - 2016Limerick Hockey Club
Technologies: CakePHP, Stripe API
- Developed a new website for the Limerick Hockey Club.
- Built a membership portal in CakePHP.
- Integrated with Stripe API to collect payments.
- Handled the server administration on an Ubuntu Server.
PHP Developer2014 - 2015Riccardos Italian Restaurant (via Toptal)
Technologies: CakePHP, WordPress, InfusionSoft API
- Developed an ordering platform for online ordering for the restaurant.
- Integrated the website with various third-party applications, including InfusionSoft API.
- Worked with WordPress.
PHP Developer2011 - 2014Ixian
Technologies: PHP, CakePHP
- Developed hundreds of websites for various clients over a three-year period.
- Worked with CakePHP 2.
PHP Developer2013 - 2013Wholesale Directory
- Built a website for Irish Wholesalers in CakePHP.
Lead Developer2013 - 2013CakeDC
Technologies: CakePHP, PHP, MySQL, PostgreSQL, jQuery, Git
- Collaborated with members of the CakePHP core team (CakeDC is the company behind CakePHP).
- Followed strict coding standards, writing object-oriented, reusable code.
- Developed remotely for clients from all over the world.
- Worked alongside Larry E. Masters, the CakePHP founder and James Watts, the CakePHP community manager.
- Learned and shared some of the best CakePHP code with other CakePHP top developers.
Lead Developer2008 - 2010Feisty Sites
- Wrote the first mass marketed Penny Auction script, originally in CakePHP 1.3 and later updating it to CakePHP 2.
- Sold licenses for the software to hundreds of auction owners all around the world.
- Sold the software to a large UK-based software company.
Web Developer2006 - 2007Action Coach
Technologies: Zend Framework, CakePHP, CodeIgniter, PHP
- Worked for an international business coach franchise company led by entrepreneur Brad Sugars.
- Developed company intranet using Zend Framework.
- Maintained over 150 PHP websites.
- Built various database-driven websites.
- Created and maintained newsletter-sending software for a huge mailing list.
- Buggy CakePHP Code: The 6 Most Common Mistakes CakePHP Developers Make (Publication)CakePHP is an amazing PHP framework, but it has a steep learning curve! It requires a good amount of research and training to become an expert. This article describes few bad practices when writing a CakePHP code, and proposes the correct approach to avoid them.
- My CakePHP 3 Review – Still Fresh, Still Hot (Publication)The Cake development team considers CakePHP 3 to be a game changer. With the alpha version of CakePHP 3 now hot out of the oven, this article takes a fresh look at CakePHP as an effective modern framework for PHP development.
FrameworksLaravel, CakePHP, Bootstrap
Libraries/APIsVue.js, Stripe, PayPal API, Authorize.Net, Braintree API, Infusionsoft API, jQuery, Dropbox API, Campaign Monitor API, MailChimp API, LinkedIn API, Amazon API, Facebook API, eBay API
ToolsSublime Text 2, GitHub, Basecamp, Bitbucket, Git, Subversion (SVN), Eclipse IDE, Xibo
ParadigmsAgile Software Development, Scrum
OtherProject Management, Technical Project Management
- Bachelor of Commerce degree in Business Management2003 - 2005University of Auckland - Auckland, New Zealand