Scala Developer in London, United Kingdom
Member since October 22, 2015
CTO and CEO2012 - PRESENTSciabarra.com ltd
Technologies: Scala, Akka, Spark, Linux, Docker, WebCenterSites, WebLogic
- Designed and implemented the AgileSites framework for OWCS in Scala.
- Developed AgileBuilder which is a Devops solution for OWCS in Docker.
- Coordinated projects using AgileSites and AgileBuilder.
- Provided mentoring, training support, and development for a developing team who was working with AgileSites in Telmore, Denmark.
- Designed the OWCS based architecture for a large Italian bank, using Akka as a connector for the different parts.
- Analyzed logs coming from a website through Kafka with Spark.
Founder, Owner, and Developer2009 - 2012Sciabarra srl
Technologies: Java, Fatwire, Alfresco
- Provided web site development in Fatwire for Birmingham Services, UK.
- Developed from scratch a website in Alfresco for Sage.
- Provided Fatwire consulting for a variety of customers worldwide.
- Implemented a proxy-cache for faster access to remote document in Alfresco.
- Designed and implemented a framework for rendering of websites using XML content.
Development Director2008 - 2009Mobix ltd
Technologies: Java, Linux
- Reimplemented the back-end solution which reduced costs by 80%.
- Recruited and managed a team of developers.
- Designed and implemented the new version of the front-end using GWT.
- Coordinated the development of a mobile app.
- Provided Linux system administration and moved everything to a cloud.
Java Consultant2006 - 2007Freelance
Technologies: Java, GWT, Spring, Swing, JavaME
- Helped develop with Clotho a data entry system for billing information in GWT.
- Created the SOA component for PecHandler which enabled them to interface a front-end to IMAP and LDAP back-ends.
- Aided in the development of TrackSal which is a Swing based workflow engine.
- Developed for CinemaChoice, an interactive mobile app for cinema preferences. The early mobile application was done in JavaME.
- Provided LDAP development and administration for a large SMS dispatching application.
Java and J2EE Consultant2006 - 2006Unione Fiduciaria
Technologies: Java, JSF, Spring, Tomcat
- Provided Java and Spring training for a of team developers.
- Designed the JSF and Hibernate architecture.
- Implemented hands-on coding of the prototype.
- Administrated the Linux servers.
CTO2000 - 2005ePrometeus
Technologies: Java, Linux
- Managed a team of up to 8 people, as a technical leader.
- Provided the architecture design and performance optimization for Rikorda Portal, an eCommerce site for printing digital images.
- Helped to develop IberoBroker which is a translator broker to connect Sabre's Global Distribution System with the Iberostar's Mirto. (Iberostar is the largest Spanish tour operator, and Sabre is the oldest online travel reservation system.).
- Worked on implementing a portal called Piuprezzi for the Milan Chamber of Commerce where it distributed price lists for various goods.
- Designed epNuke and epShop which are early portal and eCommerce implementations.
Java and Linux Trainer1996 - 2000Freelance
Technologies: Java, Linux
- Created and implemented a training course on Java for nearly 100 customers in Italy.
- Developed and implemented a training course on the Linux operating system for almost 50 customers all around Italy.
- Wrote nearly 100 articles on the programming language Java for a variety of Italian magazines.
- Worked as a consultant for Java and Linux related projects.
- AgileSites (Development)http://www.agilesites.org
This is a framework for Agile development with Oracle WebCenter Sites
- Video Blog on Scala (Development)http://michele.sciabarra.com
This is a video blog on various Scala topics.
- Linux and Web Programming Book (Other amazing things)https://books.google.it/books?isbn=8838641773
This is his book on Linux and web programming, written in 1999 describing the LAMP stack before the acronym was invented.
- Scaling Scala: How to Dockerize Using Kubernetes (Publication)Are you a Scala developer hoping to scale your application in the cloud? If so, meet Kubernetes, a cluster manager for Docker applications. Developed by Google, it's the latest in new open source tools making major waves. In this article, Toptal Freelance Software Engineer Michele Sciabarra guides us through a step-by-step tutorial on how to take a generic Scala application and implement Kubernetes and Docker to launch multiple instances of the application.
- Developing for the Cloud in the Cloud: BigData Development with Docker in AWS (Publication)More and more people are moving their work from desktop applications to the cloud using an equivalent online web application. However, this has unfortunately not been true for software development IDEs. Although there have been some attempts to provide an online IDE, they have not come anywhere close to traditional IDEs. In this article, Toptal Freelance Software Engineer Michele Sciabarra guides us on how to build a cloud-based development environment for Scala and big data applications, with the help of Docker in Amazon AWS.
FrameworksAkka, Apache Spark, Play Framework, Spring, Hadoop
ToolsSBT, Apache Tomcat, IntelliJ, Ansible, Maven
ParadigmsREST, Agile Software Development, Functional Programming
PlatformsDocker, WebCenter, Linux, Oracle
OtherOracle WebLogic Application Server, Bitcoin
Libraries/APIsScala.js, spray, Puppet.js
- Master's degree in Computer Science1990 - 1995University of Pisa - Pisa