Muhammed Zain Sajjad
Verified Expert in Engineering
Zain is a creative and self-driven full-stack engineer with 8+ years of experience developing and maintaining apps used by millions of people. He focuses on the front end and has ample experience in writing and architecting large-scale, well-tested, and maintained apps. His favorite tools for building scalable apps are TypeScript, Node.js, React, and React Native. Zain has worked with startups and enterprises and managed teams of smart developers to produce out-of-the-box results.
React, React Native, Node.js, MySQL, TypeScript, Mobile Apps, Redux, REST APIs, Team Leadership, Jest
The most amazing...
...things I've developed are libraries used in apps of several commercial banks used by millions and websites with millions of daily page views.
Node.js/React Native Developer
- Developed a Tiktok-style mobile app for recruitment in the restaurant and lifestyle industry.
- Built the back end using Node.js and MySQL and the mobile app using React Native.
- Completed the launch of the MVP from the idea infancy phase.
Back-end Tech Lead
- Architected and developed a system to manage and track 1000+ devices simultaneously. The system can handle thousands of requests in parallel and scale on demand.
- Delivered state-of-the-art scalable back end to support thousands of requests coming from GPS, MDVR, and other IoT devices.
- Managed a team of 10+ developers with a keen focus on architectural improvement and automation to continuously increase the team's productivity. Established learning and growth-oriented cultures in the team for higher retention and better synergy.
- Involved in planning product direction with stakeholders based on industry trends and client requirements.
- Worked closely with sales and pre-sales to understand customers' pain points and plan product paths accordingly.
- Collaborated with other C-level stakeholders in product to develop company roadmap and translate business decisions into technical requirements.
Senior Technical Consultant and Architect
EFU Life Assurance
- Architected and developed apps for customers to manage their policies and interact with services.
- Worked closely with business and sales teams to create products that drive results for the organization in terms of retention and new customer acquisition.
- Oversaw the app growth from an idea to thousands of active users and millions of interactions per month.
- Integrated wearable and health tracking libraries in-app to increase user engagement.
- Developed loyalty and rewards app and management system to distribute vouchers and rewards to users.
Head of Product
Peekaboo Guru | FetchSky
- Played a pivotal role on the team that brought this idea to life, starting from the first day of the development journey until today, when we have millions of active users.
- Focused on automation and a streamlined CI/CD across our product suite. We worked closely with the QA team to move all our testing to Detox and Cypress. In combination, these increased team productivity and product quality.
- Designed and built the architecture with a major focus on code reusability across different modules of the product suite. We developed practices and constraints that enabled the codebase to scale easily for a large number of developers.
- Architected and developed Peekaboo Connect for mobile and a web SDK powering experiences in apps of several commercial banks in Pakistan along with mobile wallets and telecoms. Developed the mobile SDK using React Native and shipped it via S3.
- Included many mobile machine learning features in our products and developed Guru Eyes, which mimicked geolocated augmented reality using trigonometric formulas and animations.
Back-end Tech Lead
Straight Up Studios
- Completed the discovery phase of a new multimedia platform that allows users to watch streams from multiple angles simultaneously.
- Designed a microservices-based architecture for product scalability and quality, focusing on high availability, especially during critical hours of huge traffic.
- Delivered a project plan for three phases of the product to get cost and effort estimations.
- Documented and clarified the client's requirements to translate them into a system architecture.
- Predicted the expected budget for cloud infrastructure based on the number of users as the system scaled.
- Presented the product development plan to all stakeholders at the end of the discovery phase.
Senior React Native Developer
- Established a CI/CD pipeline that enabled publishing iOS and web apps simultaneously using GitHub Actions and fastlane. Saved hundreds of hours of developers' time, resulting in significant improvement in the team's productivity.
- Established a release management flow with automated changelog generation using GitHub Actions, release-it, and changelog tools.
- Established commit practices in the team for a more readable commit history using commitlint and Husky.
- Developed a TikTok-style feed of posts using an optimized implementation of the feed.
- Built TypeScript patterns for the team to ensure scalability in the codebase.
Senior Front-end Engineer
- Migrated legacy codebase to TypeScript, increasing the productivity of developers in the team by many folds.
- Participated in upgrading a major app from old architecture to a more scalable architecture based on MobX and server-side rendering.
- Migrated from Enzyme to React Testing Library for writing more scalable behavior-driven tests.
- Maintained docs related to patterns in TypeScript for the current and future team members' learning.
Front-end Tech Lead
- Architected and developed mobile app, web app, and marketing website with scalability and automation as core principles that resulted in the completion of product scope in record time.
- Collaborated with marketing and business teams to integrate tools to analyze user behaviors that helped grow the user base from thousands to over a million.
- Managed to increase the conversion rate of the new app from 20% to 65%.
- Developed on-demand Next.js page regeneration using Redis and Vercel APIs to produce the most optimized static site.
- Created back-end portal with in-depth analysis for business and partners using Recharts and Ant Design.
- Integrated in-app web view for food delivery websites using encrypted and secure post-messaging-based communication between host and web.
- Implemented local payment gateways and Checkout.com for transactions.
- Streamlined automation across the teams for fast delivery and product scalability.
Associate Software Engineer
- Served on the team that worked on products for Best Buy, S.P. Richards, Ingram Micro, and other eCommerce giants of North America.
- Built an analytics portal using Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana.
- Developed plugins for eCommerce websites to integrate our rich content on their websites.
I was part of the team from the very beginning and saw the idea grow into a product used by millions. Led the front-end team that developed a B2C application and website serving millions of users.
Upgrade to TypeScripthttps://www.freenome.com/
I acted as a senior software engineer on the UI team and worked on the upgrade of all UI libraries and applications to TypeScript. The established TypeScript practices and patterns increased the team's productivity. I also planned and upgraded old apps to the new architecture.
Markeza - The Real Estate Search and Scoring Platform
• Developed a scoring engine that sourced data from 10s of APIs
• ElasticSearch based search engine calculating scores on run time using custom code blocks
• Architected a scalable front-end for performance and scalability
• Adopted the micro frontends architecture for faster delivery of financial calculators and analytical dashboards with hundreds of calculations.
Real App | Senior Front-end Engineerhttps://real.app/
I worked as a senior software engineer in the social media team. I developed a TikTok-style feed of posts using an optimized implementation of the feed. I also built TypeScript patterns for the team to ensure scalability in the codebase. I established commit practices in the team for a more readable commit history. Tools used included commitlint and husky.
I established a release management flow with automated changelog generation. Tools used: GitHub Actions, release-it, and a changelog.
I established a CI/CD pipeline that enabled publishing app iOS and web apps simultaneously. I used GitHub Actions and Fastlane.
EFU Life PlanIThttps://apps.apple.com/pk/app/efu-life-planit/id1007214538
The app integrates all the tools required by marketing to monitor the app's usage. End users can use the app to calculate benefits, monitor fund performance, and request legal documents.
As the lead developer, I managed the team for writing middleware and apps that can scale to many users and have more features.
Tech Blogger | LogRockethttps://blog.logrocket.com/author/zainsajjad/
Tech Blogger | ButterCMShttps://buttercms.com/blog/author/zain-sajjad/
Tech Blogger | Semaphorehttps://semaphoreci.com/author/zain
EFU Life Wellness App
I worked as an architect and tech lead to deliver the product from its ideation phase. I designed a scalable architecture on the back end to serve millions of users and optimized the mobile app to deliver a pleasant aesthetics and state-of-the-art experience.
I was the architect and tech lead responsible for building the front end with React Native. We leveraged RN to create a plug-able SDK for mobile apps using advanced features of RN, explicitly developed for large-scale apps like Facebook.
React Native, Next.js, NestJS, Swagger, Cypress, Jest, Ant Design, Express.js, Tailwind CSS, Jakarta Server Pages (JSP), Material UI, Redux, React VR, Flutter
React, Node.js, REST APIs, React Redux, LocalStorage, React-Intl, React Testing Library, Recharts, MobX, Google AdSense, Redux-Saga, D3.js, React Navigation
Google Analytics, Facebook Pixel, Webpack, JSX, Fastlane, GitLab CI/CD, Jira, GitHub, RabbitMQ, Prisma, Logstash, Kibana, Viro Media
REST, Best Practices, Agile, Automated Testing, Testing, Microservices, Automation, Scalable Application, Requirements Analysis, CQRS, Mobile Development, Scrum, Responsive Web Design (RWD), Unit Testing, DevOps, E2E Testing
Firebase, Blogger, Vercel, Mobile, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Android, iOS, Apache Kafka, Apple Watch, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), AWS IoT
Redis, MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Firebase Realtime Database, Elasticsearch, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Cloud Firestore
Writing & Editing, Team Management, CI/CD Pipelines, Teamwork, Software Architecture, APIs, Team Leadership, React Query, User Interface (UI), User Experience (UX), Analytics, RTL, Technical Writing, Redux RTK, Architecture, Software Design, Web Development, Leadership, Scalable Architecture, Full-stack, Technical Leadership, Front-end, Front-end Architecture, Front-end Development, App Store Acceptance Process, Payment APIs, Payment Gateways, Push Notifications, Location Tracking, Geolocation, Detox, Engineering Management, Product Management, Software Consulting, Local Notifications, Enzyme, Storybook, Design Systems, CTO, Google BigQuery, Google AdMob, Software Development, Computer Graphics, Mobile Apps, Microfrontends, Data Visualization, Charts, GitHub Actions, Google Fit, Wearables, System Architecture, Blogging, Content Writing, UI Testing, Deployment, Redux Toolkit, WebAssembly, Styled-components, Firebase ML Kit, Computer Vision, Pose Estimation, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning, RTK Query, React Native Bridge, SDKs, System Design, Minimum Viable Product (MVP), Videos, Startups, Lean Startups, AI Content Creation
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
University of Karachi - Karachi, Pakistan
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring