Necati Demir, PhD
Verified Expert in Engineering
Machine Learning Developer
Necati is a computer scientist with 17 years of experience in the private industry, focusing on DevOps and machine learning. He is also an AWS Certified Solutions Architect and AWS Certified Machine Learning Specialist with a PhD in computer engineering. He has led teams and driven infrastructural and architectural decisions for the last ten years. Necati also takes an active role in the implementation and design phases of the infrastructure, architecture, and process.
Bash, Git, Python, Linux, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Go
The most amazing...
...project I've done is an end-to-end CI/CD pipeline with GitHub Actions and Amazon EKS for a fintech startup.
Software Engineer & Architect | DevOps
- Built an end-to-end CI/CD pipeline with GitHub Actions and Amazon EKS.
- Functioned as a DevOps and software architect for an end-to-end data pipeline.
- Re-architectured the existing data pipeline and managed the migration process.
- Designed and implemented the system for executing long-running tasks on Amazon ECS.
- Contributed on technical and non-technical levels as a hands-on startup CTO.
- Played a technical and active role in the product's development. Designed the architecture, took responsibility for the back-end development, and took on DevOps responsibilities to build CI/CD.
- Performed the non-technical role of shaping the product vision, including alignment for product-market fit experiments. Built a high-quality software development cycle and used Kanban methodology to deliver the product.
- Applied methodologies that dramatically decreased the number of bugs in production and increased the net promoter scores (NPS).
Chief AI Officer
- Implemented machine learning methods to minimize the digital ad cost.
- Used Spark for item recommendation and clustering customers based on historical purchase data.
- Designed the architecture to run experimental ML methods.
Hermes İletişim & VAS Telekom
- Managed a team of software developers.
- Worked closely with managers to understand the requirements and translated them into a technical language that software developers can understand.
- Implemented the initial phase of REST APIs. Handed them over to the team and ensured that software development went right.
- Implemented the initial phase of the web application, which uses REST APIs, handed it to the team, and ensured that software development went right.
- Implemented back-end services that use Asterisk.
- Provided Linux-based solutions: Supported Linux servers and provided VoIP-based solutions using Asterisk.
- Developed for Remotee, which is a desktop sharing solution. I implemented the network infrastructure with UDP hole punching.
- Led the development of MultiPC, a thinstation based on custom Linux applications and Linux kernel. This project needs deep Linux knowledge to create a Linux distribution from scratch.
- Managed Linux servers, installing and managing Linux web and mail servers for Hermes İletişim and its customers.
System Support and Software Developer Specialist
- Developed real-time log monitoring for web cache, web filter, and firewall modules. Used C++ on the server side in Java for the client side since the server side of the Labris Family is written in C++.
CI/CD Pipeline with GitHub Actions and Amazon EKS
I used GitHub Actions to run Python tests, build Docker images, and push the images to the AWS container registry. I also used Terraform to create the AWS infrastructure and Kubernetes and Helm for deployment.
End-to-end Data Pipeline DevOps and Architecture
I worked as a back-end developer implementing the API with Python and MongoDB and as a DevOps engineer implementing the CI/CD system with GitLab, Helm, Kubernetes, and Docker. I also managed a team of back- and front-end developers using the Kanban methodology.
This project's most significant accomplishment is the DevOps part, which dramatically improved the product's fate. After the changes, the product's NPS changed from negative scores to between 90-100, and the average number of bugs decreased from 300 in production to less than 10. The details of the DevOps cycle that I designed and implemented can be found here: https://gist.github.com/ndemir/48caa5399f1bfe38bd6939f5d32f2c96
Linux System Admistration and Distributed High Available Architectural Design
• Took a role as a back-end developer
• Handled the implementation of API (Java, MySQL)
• Contributed to the implementation of the voice call and IVR systems (FreeSWITCH, Asterisk)
• Worked on the implementation of bulk email systems
• Took the role of a system administrator and built a cluster of email servers to handle load balancing (HAProxy, Postfix)
• Managed a team of back-end and front-end developers
Data Pipeline Re-architecture
I refactored the existing codebase to make it compatible with the new architecture. I also implemented the Terraform components to spin up the Step and Lambda Functions.
Module Design and Implementation for Long-running Tasks Execution on Amazon ECS
I led a team of developers and DevOps engineers. I designed the software architecture, defined the standardization, and did the initial implementation. I also took the role of a DevOps engineer and wrote Terraform and converted those to Amazon ECS tasks.
Node.js, Scikit-learn, Pandas
Bitbucket, GitHub, IPython Notebook, IPython, Shell, Git, Terraform, Amazon EKS, Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE), PyCharm, Asterisk, GNU Toolchain, Azure Machine Learning, Helm, GitLab CI/CD, FreeSWITCH, Postfix, AWS Step Functions, Jenkins, Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS)
Ubuntu Linux, Linux, Kubernetes, Web, Docker, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Amazon Web Services (AWS), Amazon EC2, AWS Lambda, Visual Studio Code (VS Code)
MySQL, Data Pipelines, Redis, Amazon Aurora
Software Development, APIs, Back-end Development, Web Scraping, CI/CD Pipelines, Scripting Languages, Engineering, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning, Data Mining, CTO, People Management, Architecture, Startups, Cloud Platforms, Software Architecture, Technical Leadership, AWS DevOps, Bayesian Statistics, Planning, Applications, Full-stack, Team Management, HAProxy, Load Balancers, Solution Architecture, High Availability Disaster Recovery (HADR), Networking, Scalability, Amazon RDS, ECS, Lambda Functions
Scrapy, Web2py, Web.py, Flask, Spark
Data Science, DevOps, Automation, ETL, Management
PhD in Computer Engineering
Dokuz Eylül University - İzmir
Master of Science Degree in Computer Engineering
Dokuz Eylül University - İzmir
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering
Çanakkale On Sekiz Mart Universiy - Çanakkale
AWS Certified Machine Learning – Specialty
AWS Certified Solutions Architect
Amazon Web Services
AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner
Amazon Web Services