Verified Expert in Engineering
Linux, Unix, Vim Text Editor, Tmux, Shell, Bash, Scripting, Python, Python 3
The most amazing...
...thing I've developed is a lightweight R2 CAS-compliant phone system with a prototype that passed compliance tests live on the Siemens building PABX in Brussels.
Macquarie Cloud Services
- Created an API that managed and cached multiple sessions for the Zerto API to return backup and failover instance information to customers.
- Wrote a manager to consume multiple RabbitMQ queues using multiple Pulsar topics to replicate events in an alternative database.
- Updated the manager later to meet new requirements and rationalize updates into a single Pulsar queue for efficiency.
- Maintained a variety of Python Django REST framework (DRF) APIs using other Azure APIs to meet emerging requirements and deployed production updates into Kubernetes clusters using Jenkins and the kubectl Kubernetes client.
Python Middleware Developer
- Developed a media bookmarks system scalable to millions of customers, working as part of the set-top box DRF API and storing media and percentage-watched information in Redis using hash and zset data types.
- Created and operated the media playlist management batch tool for retrieving, storing, and updating playlists in AWS using Boto3 API. The tool parsed and updated playlists to find and fix versioning corrections.
- Fulfilled DevOps duties, monitoring and supporting the media browsing, streaming, and billing API for performance and availability for 700,000 customer set-top boxes using OpsGenie and Grafana.
DevOps Tools Consultant
- Migrated Jira and Confluence to remote-hosted services involving large secure file transfers.
- Addressed Windows and Linux platform change issues, working around XML export application failures and supporting changes from sAMAccountName to email addresses.
- Deconstructed 18-gigabyte Jira XML exports into 27 individual archives using a semi-automated approach to workaround application limitations and applied Jira macro repair to relink new instances.
- Edited XML files to fix the Atlassian bug discovered in flight.
- Installed three nodes to Jira Data Center on AWS Linux using a command-line interface (CLI) for AWS to support later automation and Nginx load balancing to manage sticky sessions.
- Managed multiple Atlassian stack upgrades and migrations, handling large secure remote transfers, performance and proxy routing issues, an Okta SAML set up, database collation corrections, an LDAP connection over VPN, and an AD FS SSO.
Developer and Intranet Manager
The Scots College
- Oversaw and maintained the school's intranet and software through a difficult transitional period, including implementing additional systems in Python and PHP and maintaining complex SQL template reports handling highly abstracted database schemas.
- Implemented an online contractual agreements system integrating with the school management system web authentication, handling dozens of agreement texts and accruing over 50,000 recorded legal agreements over four years.
- Initiated and conducted a new school management software selection process as part of the Student Management System Rollout project, managing the requirements, selection process, installation, and data migration.
- Managed junior programmers in an intern program and promoted business process management initiatives in the College.
- Incrementally developed data storage systems to meet business restrictions and emerging requirements, evolving through packed column data and culminating in a file-based NoSQL store, implemented in C and out-performing the corporate Oracle provision.
- Achieved successful collaborative outcomes for business process tracking by implementing online tools for the APAC region, with some used globally, including an acquisitions tracking application and an i18n survey tool to replace SurveyMonkey.
- Commended personally by the Global Director of Workplace Resources division.
Various Programming Contracts
- Developed a Windows application to manage the user data migration across different versions of MS Windows and built file handling routines to accept international multi-byte charset filenames, including CJK, while also directing a junior programmer.
- Built a PHP PDF document renderer to closely replicate the HTML reporting display of a large risk management web application.
- Worked under time pressure, rapidly assimilating proprietary API and data structures and producing results from day one.
- Converted a Perl CGI security application to mod_perl and updated features to drive the ipchains firewall.
- Configured the Apache web server and provided supporting documentation, completing tasks above expectations and ahead of schedule.
Zerto Service to Cache and Multiple Zerto Enquiries Management
The API managed the numerous failure scenarios possible within the nested sessions using a compact looping algorithm. This ensured that sufficient retries were attempted without wasting network resources with unnecessary requests.
Errors that were expected as part of the handshake, such as 401s on sub-session expiry, were properly masked and refreshed by the algorithm, providing a clean and simple wrapper for the infrastructure management software within a single compact service. The caching of sessions was also used and shared across hosts where possible to minimize response delays and network usage.
REST Framework for the Rapid Development of Single-page Web Apps
This framework was used to create multiple web applications globally and regionally for managing corporate real-estate, teams, and other purposes.
Real-time C Application for R2 CAS Telephone Standard Implementation
I successfully completed a live demonstration of the prototype to confirm standards compliance in Brussels on the Siemens building telephone PABX.
Vim Text Editor, Shell, Tmux, RabbitMQ, Jenkins, Jira, Bitbucket, Boto 3, Grafana, GitLab, Confluence, Atlassian Suite, Apache Tomcat, Adobe ColdFusion, SunOS
Software Engineering, Scripting, Team Management, Learning, Analysis, Strategy, Apache Pulsar, HashiCorp Vault, Opsgenie, Scrum Master, IIS, Zerto
Django REST Framework, Django, Windows PowerShell
Django ORM, Tk
Linux, Unix, CentOS, Kubernetes, Oracle, Windows
MySQL, PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server, JSON, Redis, CouchDB, IBM Db2, IBM Informix, Ingres
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
University of Essex - Colchester, Essex, England
Certified Scrum Master
Certificate IV Project Management
Upskilled Pty Ltd (accredited by the Australian Qualifications Framework)
Clifton StrengthsFinder 2
Certificate IV in Leadership and Management
North Coast Institute
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring