Verified Expert in Engineering
Data Scientist and Developer
Nephtali is a data scientist and quantitative researcher based in Mexico City. A quantum physicist by training, Nephtali has experience in the financial, retail, and consulting industries. He was also a two-time representative of Mexico at the International Olympiad in Informatics (2006 and 2007). A lifelong learner, Nephtali is passionate about the democratization of machine learning and the future of artificial intelligence.
Amazon Web Services (AWS), MATLAB, C, Jupyter Notebook, Python, Google Cloud
The most amazing...
...thing I've built was the laser control system for a quantum technology experiment created for the quantum systems and devices group at the University of Sussex.
- Refactored and modernized the entire Python codebase for four investment strategies based on machine learning techniques.
- Developed and put into production circa 20 new strategies based on different investment rationales, industries, and prediction algorithms, including neural networks, gradient-boosted trees, Hierarchical Risk Parity, and others.
- Put forward a weekly financial analysis newsletter aimed at clients and detailing the market performance for the week, as well as our own investment kits' performance and how they are compared.
- Formed part of the company's investment committee. In charge of communicating all of our performance metrics to management, as well as our immediate and medium-term goals.
Senior Data Scientist
- Developed a pricing model to predict the price of used cars in the Mexican and Brazilian markets.
- Monitored, communicated, and improved the performance of the model and the company while maintaining a constant communication channel with management.
- Developed a price elasticity model aimed at improving the conversion rate of purchases, total revenue, and other business indicators.
- Performed fundamental and general analyses on financial data sets in search of predictive signals for investment in global markets.
- Developed, tested, and maintained close to 120 different algorithmic investment signals.
- Implemented models for sentiment analysis on daily-updated news databases regarding different instruments in global financial markets.
- Explored academic papers and cutting-edge financial research in search of novel techniques and ideas to implement.
- Implemented a machine learning model, from training to production, capable of estimating the probability of default on personal loans for one of the biggest microfinance banks in Latin America.
- Designed and developed machine learning applications to solve specific problems according to the client’s needs.
- Evaluated and maintained the models, using the most appropriate metrics and data visualization techniques.
Doctoral Tutor | Support Worker
University of Sussex
- Provided academic and physical support to students with physical disabilities.
- Served as a teaching assistant for a course on physics methods in finance.
- Generated and implemented ideas for new experiments and research directions at the quantum systems and devices group.
ML Predictor of Tax Evasion for the Mexican Tax Administration Service (SAT)
Logistics and Inventory Placement Classificatorhttps://tinyurl.com/y3byflc5
Deep Learning Teaching Course (Spanish)https://netzun.com/cursos-online/introduccion-deep-learning
Experimental Research, Quantum Computing, Complex Data Analysis, Mathematical Modeling, Physics Simulations, Scientific Computing, Mathematics, Statistical Modeling, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Decision Trees, Neural Networks, Quantitative Finance, Quantitative Analysis, Experimental Design, Data Visualization, Machine Learning, Financial Markets, Investment Funds, Natural Language Processing (NLP), GPT, Deep Learning, Quantitative Modeling, Big Data, Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT)
Jupyter Notebook, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Google Cloud, PostgreSQL
Postgraduate Research in Physics
University of Nottingham | University of Sussex - United Kingdom
Master's Degree in Physics
National Autonomous University of Mexico - Mexico City
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering Physics
Autonomous University of Chihuahua - Chihuahua, Mexico
DS4A | Latin America 2020 (Graduated with Honors)
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring