Verified Expert in Engineering
Nicolas is a BI and data professional with over six years of expertise in Power BI, Tableau, SQL Server, and Azure. Having significant knowledge as a trusted advisor, Nicolas works with customers to provide BI and analytics solutions that meet critical business needs. He worked in various industries and business units, from financial planning and analysis (FP&A) to sales, operations, and IT in the pharma, retail, eCommerce, mortgage, telecommunications, and chemicals industries.
Microsoft Power BI, Azure SQL, Azure Synapse, SQL Server 2017, Oracle, R, RStudio, Python, Jupyter Notebook, Tableau, Business Intelligence (BI), Data Analysis Consultant, Business Intelligence Consultant, Data Analysis, Microsoft SQL Server, Dashboards, BI Reports, Reports, JSON
The most amazing...
...project I've done is an information services dashboard for executive reporting. I built KPIs, resulting in leadership creating adjustable data-driven goals.
Senior IT Associate Consultant
- Built an information services (IS) dashboard for executive and director reporting. Designed key performance indicators (KPIs) for five department areas, resulting in leadership creating data-driven goals for each quarter and fiscal year.
- Created reusable Python PySpark Notebooks that allowed for collecting API data into an Azure Synapse SQL table, allowing for Power BI reporting on an automated basis for various reporting needs and use cases.
- Led new analysts into the organization by providing mentorship, training, and support throughout their onboarding process and ongoing.
SQL Developer and BI Analyst
- Created, maintained, updated, and oversaw more than 85 reports within the Power BI Service platform in the company, divided into seven workbooks with different permissions and over 150 SSRS reports and subscriptions.
- Developed SQL queries and T-SQL stored procedures on our data warehouse and reporting server to generate required data points and calculations for Power BI and SSRS reports.
- Met with business leaders within the company, gathered reporting requirements for each project, and developed, prototyped, tested, and deployed reports according to business needs.
- Updated existing dashboard reports from Excel and PowerPoint into BI Tableau and Spotfire reports.
- Maintained new reports according to changing business needs and updated goals and trends for emerging pharmaceuticals.
- Synchronized with Tableau and Spotfire to create various BI reports for needs across the brands I support.
Business Intelligence Analyst
New Penn Financial, LLC
- Generated, updated, and maintained 320 reports in the Tableau server on a proactive and requested basis, depending on business needs.
- Developed SQL queries to generate required data points and calculations.
- Led and managed business process change projects that calculated how the company measured revenue, ultimately reducing the department’s margin of error compared to the numbers booked by accounting.
Information Services (IS) Dashboard
The client, a telecommunications research and development (R&D) organization, needed an executive and director-level dashboard for all areas of the information services (IS) business unit.
I collected requirements from all IS leadership regarding reporting for business areas, including cybersecurity, operations, talent investment, IS financials, project management, and FP&A.
I collaborated with various teams to find existing data sources or build datasets for reporting. Built automated Power BI reports according to requirements, designed KPIs to help create data-driven goals for each area of interest, and tested and deployed the BI solution.
The project brought visibility to critical components of the business, which increased demand for business intelligence solutions from other business units. I assisted the client with creating an internal data team, establishing processes, and providing leadership and mentorship until the end of the project.
Automation of Excel Reports
Stakeholders used to log into a reporting system where they could select datasets and extract columns and metrics as a CSV file; from there, they would bring this data into Excel and perform manual calculations and lookups to create their desired charts. They used to spend hours each month updating these reports.
They explained the process to me, and I found the database and tables associated with the reporting system and created some SQL queries to pull the raw data and perform some calculations. I was able to automate the analysis while adding some additional BI functionality like slicers, drill-downs, KPI cards, and indicators. Ultimately, the resulting product was a fully automated BI solution that allowed the team to track their inventory management data in real time rather than retroactively at the end of every month. There was no need for manual updates besides additional analysis or enhancements.
Microsoft Power BI, Power Query, Excel 2013, Microsoft Excel, Tableau, Spotfire, Jira
Business Intelligence (BI), Azure DevOps, Dimensional Modeling, ETL, Automation, Data Science
DAX, Data Visualization, Business Intelligence Consultant, Dashboards, BI Reports, Reports, Interactive Dashboards, Data Transformation, Data Reporting, Excel 365, SQL Server 2015, Data Analysis, Data Analytics, Data Analysis Consultant, Data Modeling, Data Warehousing, Analytics, Econometrics, Economics, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Statistics, Calculus, APIs, Data Engineering
SQL, R, Python, SAS
Azure Synapse, Azure, Oracle, RStudio, Jupyter Notebook, Salesforce
Azure SQL, SQL Server 2017, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Teradata, JSON
Master's Degree in Applied Business Analytics
Boston University - Boston, MA, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Economics
Temple University - Philadelphia, PA, USA
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring