Niels is a seasoned software architect and entrepreneur with over fifteen years of experience. He's a generalist with strong communication and business skills who speaks the language of customers as well as techies. He has extensive experience as a product architect in B2B hi-tech software as well as B2C web and mobile software. Niels enjoys designing and implementing simple solutions to complex problems.
React, Git, CSS3, HTML5, iOS, Swift
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on is BookWidgets, a platform for teachers that allows them to generate their own interactive HTML5 apps for the classroom in minutes.
- Headed up the engineering team of 20+ software engineers and data scientists.
- Built an IoT solution for the smart energy grid domain.
- Led complex technical projects, from ideation and inception to implementation and delivery.
- Liaised with customers as a primary point of contact.
Senior Software Engineer
- Worked on various projects, including native iOS apps, React Native apps, and web apps.
- Conceptualized, architected, and implemented a SaaS platform for teachers. Our platform lets any teacher, regardless of technical skill level, quickly put together interactive lesson materials for iPads, Chromebooks, and PC.
- Implemented a native iOS app, 40+ HTML5 applications, a web server, and an admin web app.
- Architected to scale to millions of users, using Google App Engine, Google Compute Engine, Google Cloud Storage, and more.
- Handled marketing and customer communication as well as technical pre-sales support.
- Led a team of five, including software developers, sales and marketing specialists to go from scratch to a 6-figure annual revenue.
- Architected the merging of three competing products into one overarching solution.
- Worked with customers and R&D teams around the world to learn the different technologies and define the integrated solutions.
- Provided the R&D that ensured that our #1 customer moved over quickly and flawlessly.
Product Architect and Engineering Manager
- Managed a software team distributed over three sites in Europe and the USA.
- Defined new products and worked with the marketing department, translating high-level market and customer needs into highly technical products.
- Handled technical due diligence when performing acquisitions.
Principal Software Engineer
- Designed and implemented electronic design automation products, mainly written in C++.
- Wrote complex, large-scale software systems in C++ for Linux and Windows platform.
- Created and designed authoring tools, debug tools, and analysis tools.
- Created a framework for high-speed simulations of sophisticated electronic systems like smartphones and digital cameras.
- Contributed to the whole process, from ideation, customer validation, and technical design to implementation and testing.
I architected and implemented large parts of the solution, and later became responsible for marketing and growth.
React Native App for Law Enforcement
I was one of the R&D architects of this product suite, and the technical lead for a distributed team of engineers.
Federated Authentication for a Google App Engine App
This was implemented using Firebase UI.
Work Flow Software and Mobile App for a Law Firm
Also, it includes a mobile app for clients to communicate with their lawyer, track the status of their case, upload documents, and more. The app was built from scratch using React Native.
The software solution was integrated with various other systems via APIs such as Clio and Twilio.
Qt, React Native, ARKit, Redux, Django REST Framework
React, Node.js, jQuery, Twilio API, Clio API, React DnD, Firebase iOS SDK, Firebase Web SDK, jQuery UI
Trello, Slack, Auto Layout, Xcode, Interface Builder, Git, Adobe Photoshop
Mobile Web Design, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Object-oriented Design (OOD), Agile Software Development, Test-driven Development (TDD), Concurrent Programming
Android, Linux, iOS, Google App Engine, MacOS, Eclipse, Firebase, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Windows
JSON, NoSQL, MongoDB, MySQL, SQLite
Full-stack, Mobile Web, Apps, APIs, Startups, Software Architecture, Team Leadership, Business, Web Services, Communication, Software, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Regression, Deep Neural Networks, Convolutional Neural Networks, Recurrent Neural Networks (RNN), Sagas, Computer Science, AVFoundation, Federated Sign-in, Google BigQuery, User Interface (UI), Sales, User Experience (UX)
Project Management, Marketing
Master's Degree in Computer Science
Catholic University of Louvain (KULeuven) - Leuven, Belgium
React Native Academy
Deep Learning Foundation Nanodegree