Pavel is a full-stack Rails and React developer with 15 years of experience. He has a significant background in startups, including a social marketing platform that sold at a $17 million valuation. Pavel also built the largest data science competition platform in Africa and has work featured on slate.com. He has a strong sense of responsibility for the products he builds and a passion for humane interfaces.
Tmux, OS X
The most amazing...
...thing I've built is Zindi, Africa's largest data science competition platform and community.
- Worked closely with the founders to design and build Africa's largest data science competition platform.
- Implemented a CI system with automated testing, deployment, test environment setup, centralized logging, and error reporting.
- Built a Ruby on Rails API back end, deployed on AWS and Azure, with autoscaling and an independent polyglot background jobs pipeline.
- Developed a React front end with a complex data layer, deployed as a Node.js app with server-side rendering and as a static fallback version auto-balanced by AWS Route 53.
Full-stack Rails and React Developer
Tecstone Granite USA, Ltd.
- Built a browser-based 3D editor for creating granite monuments using WebGL.
- Defined the requirements and architecture in a new and unexplored field.
- Developed the version that supports live editing, including changing materials and engravings and importing from the company's catalog.
- Developed an internal platform for an urban planning company that utilizes statistical analysis, built with Ruby on Rails and React.
- Inherited an outdated Ruby on Rails codebase, optimized it, and added a React front end.
- Implemented a data pipeline to support comprehensive data calculations and visualizations.
- Co-founded a company with two friends to create an environmentally-aware messaging and notes app. For example, users could send messages that would only be received on a sunny afternoon when their friends were outside.
- Built the back end using Ruby and Apache Kafka to provide message storage and processing.
- Developed a React web app, a React Native app, and a Facebook Messenger bot as different interfaces with the messenger.
Votecastr (with Slate.com)
- Built a website and widget in collaboration with slate.com to track, model, and publish real-time 2016 presidential election results.
- Developed a Ruby on Rails API that connected all services and data processing pipelines, enabling rapid adjustment of prediction models.
- Created an administrative interface to collect and validate poll data quickly.
- Developed a real-time map widget embedded on slate.com using D3.js.
- Created an app to process and present vast amounts of data in a readable way. The data was hundreds of gigabytes of historical information with predictions for the future, delivered weekly in CSV format.
- Selected Google BigQuery for data storage, which provided linear query time, and created a pipeline to automatically update the data whenever new files were added to an Amazon S3 bucket.
- Built a Ruby on Rails back end with two-factor authentication for a data API and user management panel.
- Created a front end with React and heavy use of D3.js.
- Served as the CTO of this social marketing platform after joining the company as a contractor and architecting and building the platform.
- Built a Ruby on Rails app with an Angular front end, multiple APIs, and embeddable widgets. Led an internal team, including hiring and mentorship.
- Played a pivotal role in the company's sale a few years later at a $17 million valuation.
- Founded and ran a web consultancy specializing in early-stage startups.
- Consulted with multiple clients, including habr.com with 13 million MAU and rutube.ru with 20 million MAU.
- Worked with the founders from inception, making prototypes, building the MVP, hiring, and transferring a project to an in-house team.
Redux, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Tailwind CSS, React Native, Next.js, ClojureScript
D3.js, Node.js, React, REST APIs, FlowType.JS, WebGL, Three.js
Git, Figma, BuildFire
Web Performance Optimization (WPO), DevOps, Functional Programming, Data Science
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Azure, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Docker, Jupyter Notebook, Apache Kafka, Mobile, Firebase, Android, iOS
MySQL, PostgreSQL, NoSQL, MongoDB, BigTable
Data Visualization, Software Engineering, Architecture, System Design, Full-stack, API Design, API Integration, Documentation, WebSockets, Back-end, APIs, Integration, Technical Architecture, Front-end, Startups, Progressive Web Applications (PWA), Machine Learning, Data Analysis, Storybook, Scraping, Leadership
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
Saint Petersburg State University of Information Technologies, Mechanics, and Optics - Saint Petersburg, Russia