Verified Expert in Engineering
Phil is a front-end craftsman who builds interfaces that are both functional and a delight to the user. He thrives on working with designers and engineers to build application features and UI systems. Phils has experience developing websites and web applications, as well as managing complex projects on a cross-functional team of creative professors. Most recently, he has been working on design systems at Kajabi and as a side hustle freelancer.
MacOS, GitHub, React, Sass, HTML, CSS, Figma
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on is a freelance project for a tech startup, in which I created screen mockups, built a design system, and developed application features.
Senior User Experience Developer
- Assisted cross-functional teams with implementing a system-wide visual redesign.
- Partnered with product designers and product managers to assess needs and plan development for new aspects of the design system.
- Worked with a team to develop a design system of Rails and React components from the ground up.
User Experience Developer
- Worked with designers and product managers to develop a redesigned company website and user experience.
- Focused on a staff augmentation team for a large technology company to refactor and improve a legacy application.
- Participated in formational team discussions that honed our best practices, processes, and culture.
Applied Information Sciences
- Worked on a US Army Corps of Engineers consulting team to build a recruiting web application.
- Performed as a contractor for the US Department of Defense.
- Mentored junior developers in UI development processes and techniques.
Web Designer and Developer
- Designed and built a new website for the company, including incorporating custom illustrations from a contracted illustrator.
- Created a custom brand for the company, including choosing brand colors, creating a logo and wordmark, and creating branded stationery.
- Worked on a social media startup platform using rapid prototyping and development techniques to create a minimum viable demonstration of the product the client used to pitch to angel investors.
Assistant Professor of Interactive Design
- Created a new specialization and concentration within the design department for a bachelor's degree in interactive design.
- Built the LearnUXD website to house my curriculum, exercises, and resources as a part of my flipped classroom approach to teaching and learning.
Manager | Center for Teaching and Learning
- Managed a small department of creative professionals who helped professors improve instructional methods and materials, including building multimedia and e-learning solutions.
- Contributed to the strategic development of university online learning programs, including master of education, master of business administration, and master of nursing degree programs.
- Built internal web applications to help university professors and my department team members to manage their course content.
Instructional Design Technologist
- Built over 200 microsites using HTML, CSS, PHP, and MySQL in partnership with a graphic design team for university course websites and other instructional resources.
- Consulted with professors to devise effective ways to use technology in support of student-centered learning approaches.
- Completed training in instruction design technology, including learning theories, teaching methods, curriculum design, and evaluation and assessment.
Sage Design Systemhttps://sage.kajabi.com/pages/index
React, jQuery, Handlebars, Node.js, React Router
GitHub, Figma, Photoshop CC, Illustrator CC, InDesign CC, Sketch, Stylelint, PostCSS, Jira, Flash, InVision, RSpec, Notion, SassDoc, GitLab, Trello, Adobe CC, Fireworks, Adobe Dreamweaver
Web UX Design, Rapid Interactive Prototyping, Azure DevOps
Interactive UX, Web Development, User Experience (UX), CSS5, Front-end, Typography, Design Management, Design Systems, Accessibility, Storybook, Print Ads, Design Production, UX Research, Contextual Inquiry, ESLint, Web Components, Product Design, Enzyme, Gatsby, Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS), Content Management Systems (CMS), University Teaching, Graphic Design, React Hooks
Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ember.js, Phoenix, Angular, Next.js, CodeIgniter
Master's Degree in Interactive Design
Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) - Savannah, Georgia, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Graphic Design
Cedarville University - Cedarville, Ohio, USA