Verified Expert in Engineering
Progressive Web Applications (PWA) Developer
Rens is a full-stack developer with over a decade of experience leading teams, designing complex systems, and communicating effectively. He also has a background in psychological research and statistics. Having worked for corporate clients, in academics, and for startups, Rens has a deep understanding of various stakeholders while maintaining a young, creative mindset. He was named one of the most promising tech talents according to TNW.
JetBrains, Linux, MacOS, Git
The most amazing...
...thing I've built is a live industrial tracking-and-tracing system that integrates automatic vehicle identification, weighing software and PLC communication.
- Developed various applications; using Node.js, Laravel, Vue.js/React, SSR, Tailwind CSS, and Heroku or Amazon Web Services.
- Produced metrics on student matching procedures by analyzing big data in R—generating an effectiveness report.
- Rapidly prototyped ideas for new apps, including dashboards, chatbots, and voice interfaces.
- Worked on brand activations for large clients, including IKEA, Rituals, and HEMA.
- Helped to hire candidates for clients by developing exercises for technical interviews and assessing candidates on multiple relevant skills.
- Managed a scalable Docker stack on Amazon Web Services with PHP, MySQL, MongoDB, and Redis.
- Built APIs with OAuth implementations and also integrating Algolia search and Stripe payment processing.
- Created reactive web components with Vue.js and React which increased reusability.
- Led the front-end development of a content management system using Backbone.js and developed a corresponding Android app.
- Reduced image-loading time by up to 50% by implementing server-side image processing which led to a smoother user experience.
- Developed various front-end widgets, including a 3D map view that uses Mapbox GL to provide a flight journey through photos taken throughout the world.
- Detected methods of transport by utilizing geolocation data retrieved from native Android and iOS apps.
- Visualized real-time data on a per-user dashboard which enabled data-driven business decisions.
- Completely redesigned and rebuilt a website that provides traffic information and route planning, much like Google Maps.
University of Amsterdam
- Simulated a parameter estimation for linear ballistic accumulator (LBA) models.
- Wrote an article that was published in the British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology.
- Developed an LTI integration that provides a way by which Qualtrics surveys can be included in a Coursera course for the purpose of A/B testing.
Brainpact Industrial Automation
- Developed logistic solutions using .NET and automatic vehicle identification technology which resulted in better-facilitated stock auditing.
- Automated industrial traffic lights by optimizing weighing software and PLC communication layers.
- Built an ASP.NET maintenance management system with a C# back-end that allows planning recurrent jobs, order placement, and facility management.
• Collaborated on software projects with product design and backend aspects.
• Developed, released, and maintained web applications.
• Manage individual project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables.
"Rens was the key figure in a team of developers that built our system from scratch. While he mainly handled front-end, it's obvious that he has vast experience in all key areas of software development. Rens kept the entire team organized and focused and ultimately we built a very reliable system. If you're looking for a senior professional to lead on the development of your next complex software project, speak to Rens."
- Ahmed Al Akber, CEO, Hello Chef
Kubernetes and Docker Swarm with CI/CD
Technologies: React, Plotly, Grafana
Pac-Man, Flappy Bird, and Doodle Jump
Technologies: Canvas, Vue.js, Hammer.js, Howler.js, EaselJS, Amazon Web Services
Forget the Fishhttps://growapp.today
With the Grow app, people can make time-lapse animations of the environment through seasons and years, by regularly taking pictures with your smartphone from the same location. These pictures are used to help scientists who investigate the effect of climate change on nature.
Technologies: React, WebRTC, Onion Skinning
Real-time Waiting List and Dashboardhttps://ugohq.com/
Technologies: Vue.js, SSR, Nuxt.js, Tailwind CSS, WebSockets, Heroku
Vue SSR, Tailwind CSS, Nuxt.js, Bootstrap, Redux, Laravel, Express.js, Koa, .NET, PixiJS, React Native
Node.js, jQuery, Vue, React, Vuex, Chart.js, React Redux, Socket.IO, Reselect, Immutable.js, Backbone.js, Google Cloud API, Redux-Saga
PostCSS, Docker Swarm, Docker Compose, Webpack, CircleCI, SPSS, Git, Mongoose, Plotly, Grafana, JetBrains, GIS, Vagrant
Reactive Programming, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Concurrent Programming, Functional Programming, DevOps
Windows, MacOS, Docker, Android, Linux, Amazon Web Services (AWS), AWS Lambda, Kubernetes, WordPress, Heroku, iOS, Firebase
MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, MongoDB, NoSQL, Redis, Memcached
Responsive Design, Progressive Web Applications (PWA), Data Visualization, Data Analysis, Architecture, Payment Gateways, WebSockets, Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI), PLC, Server-side Rendering (SSR), Voice UI Design, Machine Learning, Serverless
Master of Science (MSc) Degree in Behavioral Data Science
University of Amsterdam - Amsterdam, Netherlands
Bachelor of Science (BSc) Degree in Psychological Methods
University of Amsterdam - Amsterdam, Netherlands