Rodrigo is a software engineer, specializing in Android, Kotlin, Java, PHP, APIs, Bash, and databases. With over a decade of experience, he has led many teams, managed entire full-stack development projects, and excelled as a collaborative individual contributor. Rodrigo is a focused, organized, and productive developer, backed by a computer science degree from Buenos Aires University.
ExperienceJava - 13 yearsWeb - 10 yearsBash - 10 yearsHibernate - 8 yearsAndroid - 6 yearsAPI Design - 5 yearsProject Management - 5 yearsKotlin - 3 years
Trello, Slack, GitHub, MacOS, Blockchain, Crypto
The most amazing...
...app I developed is the official companion Android app for Moment mobile lenses. It ranked top-five in the camera app category on Google Play for three years.
NSExtensions (via Toptal)
- Built a cloud-based, serverless solution, from scratch, based on Google Cloud Run and Firebase functions as the main architecture for the shipping solution the company is building.
- Developed a React PWA app to consume the services provided by the architecture mentioned above. Deployed in production for their main corporate client.
- Set up environments to handle corporate clients and a mass consumption app to be released soon.
- Developed a simple back office for data analysis based on React-admin.
Senior Full-stack Engineer Consultant
Digital Creators Pty Ltd
- Developed an app for a fitness startup focused on people with disabilities using Django, PostgreSQL, and React.
- Built a Node.js and Web3 React app for a fintech startup promoting sponsorship of low-income countries' sportsmen through NFTs.
- Created a health-related app via Firebase, Node.js, and React Native.
Senior Full-stack Engineer Consultant
Life Skills Group
- Performed code audit to create an improvement plan focused on reusability.
- Set up an npm repository linked to their git codebase to share libs internally. Used npm scripts to make the process of lib sharing easier for the developers.
- Made a full redesign of their main database to support the current company growth, including functional analysis, database schemas design, and tips for implementation.
- Applied general Git.js and software engineering best practices, providing consultancy when requested.
Principal Software Engineer
- Worked on Android projects for one of Australia's leading health insurance providers.
- Integrated with a company team to help the main developer transition to another project and helped build a new team.
- Tackled main screen tech-debt refactoring, app stabilization (from an approximate 94% crash-free session rate to over 99.6%), biometrics login, PDF claiming, and digital payments (Braintree integration and NFC EFTPOS device communications).
Android Lead Engineer
- Built the Moment Android photography app to make the most out of Moment's adaptable lenses. I built the base level from scratch as the sole developer.
- Forged a team of remote developers across the globe, collaborating remotely on the product features. At the peak time, we were four developers across three time zones.
- Developed live image processing features, such as histogram, waveform, video bitrate setup, anamorphic de-squeezing, focus peaking, highlight clipping, shadow clipping, FPS, bitrate, and resolution configs based on device capabilities.
Senior Android Developer
- Implemented Firebase as the main tracking tool for crashes, allowing us to gather production information to fix complex, device-specific bugs.
- Maintained the application while developing the architecture for the app redesign and helped the company set up a team.
- Managed and implemented a security code compliance project on the underlying technology for VISA mobile payments.
- Contributed to the development, codebase maintenance, and improvements for Australia's number one Android betting app—the agency's most important client.
- Developed an Android smartwatch and companion app, from scratch, for fall and seizure detection.
- Oversaw a quality assurance process, thereby increasing code coverage from 0% to 50%.
Android Head Developer
- Extracted newspaper information from the app and moved it into a back-end API service.
- Converted the app layout function from static to dynamic in order to resize layouts automatically when adding, removing, and updating newspaper content.
- Developed features such as content sharing, newspaper sortings per category based on users, and back-end selections.
- Set up and configured GitHub for code management and designed policies for the developers to come.
Senior Software Engineer
- Connected SIGRES, a ship residual and waste management system, to an Oracle database, using Hibernate, before going live on Argentina's national maritime ports.
- Configured dependency injection, using Spring, and introduced the first tests to the project. Established a TDD process, enabling developers to continue improving on this.
- Implemented an AFIP system integration for the Argentine Taxation Office, enabling login in with special privileges.
- Assisted with building a support area to handle all the projects related to legacy support and establish best practices to tackle them.
- Built an internal team of developers willing to tackle this.
- Documented processes for onboarding, conflict resolution, project documentation, and Agile project tracking.
- Implemented Scrum processes, incorporating the client into team meetings and discussions, which resulted in a very successful engagement.
- Incorporated showcases for clients as a way to demonstrate completed work prior to conducting retrospectives.
- Unified the project information in Jira as a single point of failure (SPOF) for the project.
Senior Java Developer
- Created a graph to visualize time of day and drinks inputs for ENDWI, an alcohol consumption tracking app endorsed by the Texas government in the United States.
- Developed a Play Framework web back-end application for GSM geolocation used by Colombian post nets.
- Tracked and fixed bugs, using Jira as a reporting tool.
- Helped organize a remote team for YPF, a petrol company and Odea's main client, covering the main product for gas and petrol delivery tracking.
- Played a key role in the analysis, design, and development of the GasTracker system to identify the origins of gas for sale. Provided infrastructure consulting and configuration management.
- Conducted pulse meetings to manage projects related to maintenance, upgrades, and architectural improvements.
- Accomplished a long-overdue points migration (v2 to v3) over the MercadoPago (LATAM payments solution) platform, using PL/SQL scripts running at night, monitoring results every morning, and tweaking the process as needed.
- Implemented a search algorithm based on query matches against a category tree, using a weight-algorithm solution for the MercadoClics platform.
- Assisted with the company's transition from Waterfall to Agile project management methodologies.
- Managed web-based projects, end-to-end, communicating directly with clients.
- Developed an open-source PHP component for a CakePHP framework to add language translations to websites easily (managed from the back end).
- Advanced rapidly to working on PHP production projects for clients after starting with zero PHP experience.
- Conducted unit tests to improve coverage of the front-end web system while working as a trainee through my university internship program.
- Joined the back-end team and developed tree structure-based solutions for complex performance problems.
- Used the same tree-based solution for generating reports in CSV format.
DSLR Professional Camera App for Androidhttps://www.shopmoment.com/
• Designed and built a fully Android native Camera2 API Kotlin app, from scratch, with core camera and video functionalities, such as flash modes, timers, ISO and shutter speed, white balance, and focus.
• Built a team of remote developers across the globe to tackle real-time image processing.
• Incorporated complex features like histograms, photographer analytics, and focus peaking, using low-level RenderScript and OpenGL code embedded in the app.
Android Apps for On-demand Valet Parking Servicehttps://drop.car/
We built a Java app using a shared Gradle module with all the core functionality to maximize code sharing, thereby building both apps in the same project.
The application was a success for these reasons:
1. We successfully build an MVP showing the location tracking for both apps and the core "valet request" functionality.
2. From there, based on the proposed architecture, we could quickly grow by adding more functionalities, always sharing as much code as possible.
3. All the core functionalities were fully tested only once, guaranteeing the quality of the trunk of the app.
4. We left the main architecture clearly documented for future tech leads to improve it after I left.
Web App MVP to Reverse Engineer
I reverse engineered the state government site to extract the information the architect needed and developed a small Django Python web app to automate the reports as an MVP. This was a short freelance engagement that gave her what she needed for her business.
Spring, Hibernate, CakePHP 2, OAuth 2, Spring Boot, Android SDK, Flask, Laravel, Next.js, MUI (Material UI), RenderScript, Apache Struts 2, Play, JSF, Django, CakePHP, Apache Struts, Django REST Framework, Flutter
React, Node.js, Retrofit, REST APIs, Stripe, Square API, Stripe API, OpenGL, Camera2 API, Django ORM, RxJava
Git, Android Studio, Subversion (SVN), Jenkins, CircleCI, Apache, Visual Studio, GitHub, Slack, Trello, Jira, GIS, GitLab, GitLab CI/CD
Agile, Microservices, REST, Web Architecture, Back-end Architecture, Continuous Integration (CI), Mobile Development, Testing, Unit Testing, Requirements Analysis, UX Design, Database Design, Stress Testing, Microservices Architecture, UI Design, Scrum, DevOps
Android, Firebase, Linux, Mobile, Buildkite, Twilio, MacOS, Drupal, Oracle, Web, iOS, Django CMS, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Docker, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Blockchain
MySQL, JSON, Databases, PostgreSQL, Oracle PL/SQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle Cloud, Redis, MongoDB
Security, Project Management, Web Design
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
University of Buenos Aires - Buenos Aires, Argentina