Verified Expert in Engineering
Ruy is a dedicated full-stack developer with a wealth of experience accumulated over nearly 20 years of web development. He has strong technical chops, a keen eye for UX, and dedication to quality and results. With his expert communication skills, he ensures everyone on the team is on the same page. Along with his experience and competences, Ruy is committed to achieving consistent, top-notch results that directly impact his clients' bottom line.
The most amazing...
...thing I've helped build is a search platform called REW, one of Canada's largest online real estate marketplaces, with more than a million page views per day.
Owner | Full-stack Web Development Consultant
- Developed both greenfield and brownfield web applications for multiple clients, including Real Estate Wire (REW.ca), Gastown Labs, Sharezen, and HabitStack.
- Delivered projects on time with reliable estimates, always meeting or exceeding client requirements.
- Provided guidance and feedback on UX design for optimum user workflows.
- Delivered code with utmost attention to detail and quality, ensuring its long-term maintainability and extensibility.
- Ensured solid test coverage and quality of all systems' critical paths.
- Upgraded systems from Ruby on Rails 3 up to Ruby on Rails 6.
- Designed and architected end-to-end systems, maintained them, and added new features over time for multiple clients.
Instructor | Consultant
TamTon Training, Inc.
- Developed the original training materials for the CodeCore Developer Bootcamp, one of the pioneering web development boot camps in Vancouver. Held lessons for the first cohort of CodeCore students.
Senior Ruby Developer
- Collaborated on a multi-tenant B2B cloud-based web application for enterprise application provisioning, interfacing with Android and iOS devices, which was later acquired by BMC.
- Contributed to back-end and front-end development in an Agile environment.
- Reviewed code and championed best practices in test-driven development.
- Liaised and coordinated activities with the offshore team.
- Sought out areas for improvement beyond assigned tasks.
- Promoted the importance of a team-building mindset and creating a healthy work-life balance.
- Contributed to several phases of the design, development, and implementation of a breakthrough web application framework in Ruby, focusing on scalability, modularity, and rapid application development.
- Maintained and expanded one of the most successful online website builders with integrated shopping carts on the market, with over 20,000 paying customers.
- Contributed to design decisions, system optimization, and third-party integrations such as payment gateways, drop shippers, and online auction services.
- Implemented a version control system across the team, providing ongoing mentoring and support for all team members.
- Designed and implemented an in-house content management system for Ericsson Mexico as part of a local initiative to approach media companies and distribute their content via SMS as a hosted service.
- Established a relationship with clients for the CMS, delivered on-site demonstrations to clients, and created proposals.
- Coordinated the integration with a third-party provider to offer music recognition services in Latin America.
- Developed the first value-added services for Telcel, the largest cell phone carrier in Mexico and Latin America, with more than 30 million customers.
- Developed and maintained a broad set of WAP and SMS applications and the carrier's value-added services portal.
- Supported the platform's growth to host the same services for many other cell phone carriers in Latin America.
Real Estate Search Platform REWhttps://www.rew.ca
I was on this project from the beginning when REW brought the platform's development in-house, where I initially joined another consultant to develop the front end. Later, once the front end caught up with the back end, I continued delivering both front and back end functionalities, expanding the feature set over the years. I helped the company grow its internal team, participating in interviewing, mentoring, and detailed code-review, ensuring high code quality. I continued providing input into architectural decisions and guidance in developing new features and adding new verticals to the platform. I was often in charge of developing time-sensitive or complex features, confident that the output would meet or exceed expectations.
The existing codebase was inherited from the original developers when the new owner acquired the app. I supported the owner in transitioning the app from a self-hosted solution to a cloud-based PaaS, allowing for lower ownership costs with a limited workforce. I upgraded the application from Ruby on Rails 3 to Ruby on Rails 5, added paid tiers to the service via Stripe, updated the front end to be more mobile-friendly, and provided technical support.
I developed this app as a side project to try out different technologies, practice new techniques, explore new gems, and as a general playground to keep skills honed. Despite not being marketed at all, Splitsee has garnered more than 800 active users besides my friends and family.
Ruby on Rails (RoR), Bootstrap 3, Jasmine, Adobe Flex, Jakarta Server Pages (JSP), AngularJS, Ember.js
jQuery, Google Maps API, Handlebars, Ruby on Rails API, REST APIs, Vue, Vuex, Stripe API, Authorize.net, MooTools, Mandrill API, Pusher
RSpec, Git, Solr, Vim Text Editor, Trello, Jira, Adobe ColdFusion, Perforce, Subversion (SVN), Apache Tomcat
Object-oriented Programming (OOP), SMACSS, Agile
Heroku, Ubuntu Linux, Ubuntu, Oracle
Web Development, Web App Development, Ajax, APIs, PayPal, SMS, Google Fusion Tables, Cloudinary, Wireless Application Protocol (WAP), Engineering, Expense Management
PostgreSQL, MySQL, PostGIS, Redis, MongoDB, Sphinx Search Engine
Bachelor of Science Degree in Electronic Engineering
Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey (ITESM) - Mexico City
Sun Certified Programmer