Verified Expert in Engineering
The most amazing...
...tool I single-handedly wrote is an open-source platform used by the majority of time banks in Barcelona and some abroad.
Senior Software Engineer
- Improved the architecture of the payments domain by introducing DTOs, protocols, and dependency injection patterns.
- Performed several investigations about outstanding and far-reaching bugs.
- Introduced automated code quality improvements across the whole system.
- Mentored several developers on Python and Django internals.
- Held the tech leadership of the Talent-Post-Hire team.
- Wrote an internal library for secure and authenticable server-to-server communication.
- Participated in the build of the internal on-call rotation management app and the related chatbot.
- Assisted the team with substantial improvements in code quality and processes.
- Introduced advanced interactive tools for the back office that shortened the overhead of manual intervention on client onboarding.
- Wrote a generic bulk import framework that resulted in a drastic error reduction in all CSV import and handling activities.
- Wrote a component-based printed document framework to standardize all produced PDFs into a consistently designed form.
- Architected the new Kantox SPA front end. Started the initiative and built a team around it to replace the previous client interface.
- Wrote an in-house extensible framework to build internal back office interfaces.
- Created the first Elixir and Phoenix project in the company (a real-time payment management system), taking it from design to full production in two months.
- Led the payments team, increasing velocity and reducing incidents related to the team´s work.
- Mentored several engineers, which have since become team and QA leads.
- Presented several times in the Barcelona Elixir meetup, raising awareness of the technology across the company and outside of it, leading to additional hires.
- Developed the entire system in its first version after joining the startup when no code was written yet, including integrations with payment systems, interaction with the distribution platforms, and the multilanguage public pages.
- Integrated with a third-party ERP to manage item prices and invoices.
- Created a royalty aggregation system to simplify the writers' experience.
- Created internal automated tools and established processes to optimize books in epub format. It included image format changing and optimization, automatic chapterization, and the introduction of semantic CSS in place of manually applied styles.
- Switched the bank integration for payments to a secure, encrypted one across all company systems.
- Created a landing site container app that would reduce the time to build a new landing site for a publisher by 70% and the cost of hosting them by 90%.
- Prepared the system to be integrated with German and English book catalogue systems and book distributors.
Senior Software Engineer
- Created a stand-alone educational grant management system for Nigerian education NGOs.
- Developed a microservice that allowed to convert any document format to any other in order for the main LMS to export material. It was made as a Node.js API commanding the Pandoc tool.
- Participated in the construction of the Avallain Unity architecture.
- Took a project written by a third-party agency that came to a complete stall, rebuilt it on a goo architectural basis, and released a faster and more user-responsive platform in two months.
- Wrote several chatbots to gain platform visibility across users of other temporal hosting networks (CouchSurfing, Craigslist, and others).
- Wrote web scrapers to import data from other networks such as Airbnb and HomeExchange.
- Mentored team members completely new to Ruby and Rails to being senior engineers.
Senior Engineer Architect
- Wrote a synchronization framework that could represent any type of content, files, and documents consistently to the user, enabling local synchronization.
- Wrote plugins of said frameworks ranging from documents uploaded in Salesforce to photos in a Facebook account to files stored in Google Drive or Box.net.
- Designed the access control system at the core of the Ftopia product.
- Brought the full beQbe project from idea to production in a few months.
- Mentored a whole team of completely new developers to the technologies involved.
- Managed stakeholders' expectations and provided innovative ideas to achieve the original vision.
- Created a hybrid Django/Flash content management system to arbitrary place pre-roll, mid-roll, and post-roll in variable-length videos.
- Created a video player with visual scrub when there was no such thing yet in the market. This part of the product was one of the major selling points of the whole platform.
Gestores 1880 SL
- Created a front-end in-app windowing system with lazy module loading to scale up the tools offered to the clients.
- Participated in defining the domain models and their implementation as entities and related classes.
- Wrote all the custom annotations used to inject behavior in DAOs, entities, servlets, and services.
- Established a high availability strategy for core pieces of the platform.
- Wrote the client part of a driver for label printers that could send data directly from the flash application to a locally attached printer.
Kantox New Client UI and APIhttp://www.kantox.com
Among the major features of the new application, there was a totally overhauled user experience, a responsive web that would optimize the amount of data shown depending on the user device (not just reflow the content), a theming system so clients could have their own branding for their users, and better organization of content. All table rows were expandable, providing more contextual insights without losing the global view with completely customizable user dashboards.
Aside from starting the initiative and leading a hybrid team of developers and getting it to production, I designed a brand new API layer that ended up simplifying the authorization and serialization needs of the back end.
I was CTO and lead developer at the company. Besides choosing the technology to develop it - Ruby on Rails and AngularJS - I mentored the whole team introducing them to said technologies (their background ranged from Java to IBM RPG to PHP) and brought the platform to life in less than half a year.
The platform included creative solutions like an out-of-band server-sent event system and a layout builder.
Architecture for Ftopia apphttps://ftopia.com
With a team of several distributed developers, we recreated an entirely new UX based on more modern technologies (Vanilla JS to Angular, Rails 2 to Rails 4) that could compete with the major players in the file-sharing market.
Among the features that I have personally added to the project, there are:
• an advanced access control system that could easily transfer across the three execution environments (back end, front end and native desktop app).
• a tree-pruning and rebuilding system to present the user with a consistent view when they were given access to several document trees.
Ruby on Rails (RoR), Django, Ruby on Rails 5, Ruby on Rails 4, Ember.js, Angular, Django REST Framework, AngularJS, Twisted, OSMF, Adobe Flex, Hibernate, JSON Web Tokens (JWT), Phoenix, Ruby on Rails 3
JSON, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Relational Databases, NoSQL, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), MongoDB, Redis, Redis Cache, Elasticsearch
Spanish, APIs, CTO, Team Leadership, Applied Mathematics, Mathematical Logic, Abstract Algebra, Architecture, Slackbot, Pjax, Message Bus, Spree Commerce, Payment APIs, EPUB, Amazon RDS
React, Node.js, jQuery, REST APIs, Stripe API, AMF, Slack API, Redis Queue
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Heroku, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), JBoss, JEE, Oracle, Amazon EC2, Docker
Flash, Adobe AIR, Slack, ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ, Turbo
HIPAA Compliance, Aspect-oriented Programming, REST, Microservices
Master's Degree in Mathematics
Università Statale di Pisa - Pisa, Italy
Master's Degree in Sciences
Scuola Normale Superiore - Pisa, Italy