Verified Expert in Engineering
Shane is a Java developer with 25 years of experience building enterprise apps and specializes in writing maintainable, extensible, SOLID code. While 95% of Shane's experience is in the Java realm, his passion is full-stack development with Angular. Shane's served in many different roles, including architect, team lead, lead developer, and individual contributor. While Shane doesn't always have to lead a project, his USMC background makes him perfect for lead roles and mentoring.
The most amazing...
...thing I've ever done was mentor my daughter into becoming an Angular/web design guru. Besides that I've also developed an Android/iOS app that leveraged AR.
SRFreed Consulting, LLC
- Started my own consulting business in 2012, worked with several different customers on projects of many different sizes, and served in many different roles to lead or augment existing teams.
- Served as the primary designer and developer on a handheld application deployed to the Google App Store and Apple Store. The application was used to support the sales process by delivering augmented reality-enhanced videos and audiobook to customers.
- Designed and developed a new agent portal. The portal used to provide service and information to over 4,500 agents around the US.
- Served as an enterprise architect consultant on a project for IMC. Responsible for architecting the enterprise services layer for a multi-venue digital platform and integration strategy for newly acquired commercial businesses.
- Directed the development for a company focused on delivering strategic visions for Agile practices. Led a 5-person team in developing tools for organizations wishing to automate their DevOps, CI/CD pipeline, and support and ticketing systems.
- Worked as a senior developer on a dev team to provide guidance on the application architecture in creating a multi-threaded, multi-tiered, message-driven application that listens for JMS messages and performed transaction-driven database updates.
- Consulted with a company to build an online money-lending application. Provided guidance on technologies, services, design patterns, and risks for building the platform. Generated the system architecture design along with phase 1 application documentation.
- Served as an architect and developer to build a multi-tiered microservice-based user administration system to manage local and remote user’s permissions to enterprise applications, while introducing a new development framework for the company.
- Worked as an architect and lead developer in building a complex multi-threaded, multi-tiered, MVC workflow-based application to extract required media and meta data files from customer environments to be processed by reporting and processing engine.
- Acted as the lead developer/team lead of an internal 5-person web development team. Served as a Scrum team member and Scrum Master to create a rich interface-web-based application for executives to view reports on the web or on a mobile device.
Manager of a Web Development Team
- Managed an internal 5-person web development team and was responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Southwire.com website as well as many internal web applications.
- Oversaw the daily activities of four developers while reporting to the vice president of information technology.
- Interacted with business teams to discover web needs and potential solutions.
- Monitored website activity for problems and performance.
- Spearheaded the infrastructure project to upgrade the web infrastructure from RedDot to JBoss Enterprise Portal. Evaluated competing technologies to decide the best fit for organizational needs and created a 10-month project plan to roll EPP into production.
- Provided direction to the organization in procuring and upgrading web trends for website usage analysis.
- Provided UML documentation for application specifications where needed.
- Designed and developed an EDI scheduler import system to import EDI data from a file structure into an Oracle 11 database using Spring, Hibernate, and Java API (Timer Task interface).
Senior Technical Lead | Enterprise Solution Architect
- Served as a solution architect and was responsible for leading 3-to-4 project teams of varying sizes. Provided strategic project guidance and real-life tactical portal solutions while managing company policies, business methodologies, and a technical roadmap.
- Worked as a senior technical lead for medium-sized teams to develop large integrated portal-based desktop solutions. Integrated company products with host systems, web services, desktop applications, and other web applications.
- Responsible for creating the development plans, organizing development tasks, assigning resources, and documentation. Involved with all aspects of the life cycle for application development from POC to A&D and on into production.
- Coordinated the transition plan with customers for post implementation support. Performed code and architecture reviews to evaluate the quality and consistency of the team’s designs and code.
Senior Application Developer
- Involved with the full lifecycle of application development, focused mainly on problem domain analysis, analysis and design, and implementation.
- Delegated development responsibilities, assigned project tasks, and generated the architectural documentation for the application design.
- Designed a 3-tier application utilizing J2EE technologies such as JSPs, Servlets, and EJBs. (Session and Entity used both CMP and BMP for object persistence).
- Designed and implemented transactional-based components to interact with Verisign for processing credit card payments and to interact with a legacy accounting system.
- Led integration efforts with legacy systems and monitored and provided customer liaison services.
- Managed customer requirements and technical interactions to maintain project expectations and scope.
- Designed the database structure for a web-based management system, part inventory, and user management.
- Created the integration strategy and components for leveraging an existing Oracle inventory database with a web-based application, providing real-time inventory updating.
Senior Application Developer
The Ross Group
- Served as a team lead of a 5-man team in the design of a Struts-based application with a handheld .NET device to track customer service data.
- Worked within the full lifecycle of application development, focused mainly on customer requirements, problem domain analysis, analysis and design, and implementation.
- Delegated development tasks and generated documentation for external and internal design specifications.
- Performed code peer reviews to evaluate the quality and consistency of the team’s code.
- Designed a 3-tier application utilizing Java technologies such as Struts and Tiles for the presentation layer, leveraging ActionServlets, ActionForms, DynaActionForms, Struts plug-ins, and the Struts Validator Framework to meet application needs.
- Designed and built a custom business services layer and a custom-built DAO layer providing services to the application layer.
- Designed and implemented a multithreaded scheduling system responsible for the execution and maintenance of processes related to the core application components.
- Integrated service data with legacy systems using web services to provide up-to-date information to custom-built CRM applications.
- Designed and built an interface for legacy systems to import data using DB2 stored procedures.
- Designed and built a report-querying interface that allowed customers to query service data and view the results in a PDF format.
Central Connecticut State University
- Taught network servicing and network administration with Windows NT to college students working towards an associate's degree in network technology.
- Helped students focus specifically on analyzing networking needs, selecting the appropriate network equipment and topology, designing cable plant for network, protocol analysis and troubleshooting, administration, and servicing techniques.
- Mentored select students working towards Microsoft Certified System Engineer certification.
Web Master | Senior Web Developer
Delta Air Lines
- Served in two different roles at Delta Technology, moving from webmaster to senior web developer. Recognized as an SME for Java-based web development and web server technology by peers.
- Involved with the full lifecycle of application development, focused mainly on design and implementation using RUP and Rational Rose for use case analysis and design. Created an object model using UML diagrams to support development efforts.
- Performed in both lead and support roles on analysis and design teams, development teams, implementation teams, and support teams.
- Developed web applications using the base JDK (1.1 and 1.2), JSP, JavaBeans, Servlets, Tibco Rendezvous Services, and the full breadth of J2EE technologies, including JDBC, JNDI, and RMI.
- Leveraged JDBC services to connect to Oracle, SQL, and DB2 Databases.
- Worked as one of three webmasters that maintained 26 web-based applications for 75,000 employees around the world.
- Provided consulting to web application teams during the development cycle concerning: application design patterns, monitoring of applications currently in production, and load testing applications going into production from SI.
- Oversaw the initial planning, design, and deployment of remote websites and coordinated web activities with external clients.
- Developed and enforced written standards, guidelines, and conventions for intranet websites.
- Evaluated tools and applications for web design and development.
- Developed a data-driven web application, allowing users to input information into a MS Access database.
- Created complex reports that analyzed several categories using ODBC and SQL.
- Designed the network infrastructure using Windows NT technology for client-server communication.
United States Marine Corps
- Served as a platoon sergeant for the Headquarters Platoon, 8th Marines, USMC.
- Designed and administered a company training database.
- Served as the 0352 infantry squad leader and platoon sergeant at Camp Lejeune, NC.
Living Benefits Explained
Spring Boot, Hibernate, Spring JDBC, Angular, Unity, Spring, Spring Microservice, Bootstrap, Spring Batch, AngularJS, Spring AOP, Ext JS, Jakarta Server Pages (JSP), Apache Camel, Unity3D, Spring MVC, Spring IoC
Node.js, REST APIs, DevExtreme, JMS, JDBC, SAX
GitLab, Atlassian, Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS), RabbitMQ, JDeveloper, TIBCO Rendezvous, Microsoft Access, Servlet, Xalan, IntelliJ IDEA
Enterprise Application Architecture, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), REST, Microservices, Continuous Integration (CI), Spring Aspect-oriented Programming (AOP)
Amazon Web Services (AWS), AWS Lambda, Firebase, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Cloud Native, Apache Kafka, Docker, Kubernetes, Windows, Jakarta EE, NetBeans, Oracle, JBoss, JBoss EAP, Mule ESB, Android, iOS, Apple, JEE
MySQL, Databases, Microsoft SQL Server, JSON, PostgreSQL, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Elasticsearch, Amazon DynamoDB, Redis, NoSQL, Datadog, Cassandra
Software Troubleshooting, Technical Leadership, Complex Problem Solving, Back-end, Distributed Systems, Algorithms, SOAP, Front-end Development, Data Feeds, APIs, RESTful Services, WebSockets, HTTP, Computer Science, Information & Communications Technology (ICT), Message-driven Bean (MDB), Verisign, Networks, Enterprise, Ajax, UDDI, Leadership, Token-Ring Network, Team Mentoring, Enterprise Java Beans (EJB), Teamwork, Communication, Hibernate 3, Web Services, DOM, Xerces, AWS DevOps
Certification in Information Technology
Clayton College and State University - McDonough, GA, United States
Certification in Computer Science
University of West Georgia - Carrolton, GA, United States
Sun Certified Java Architect
Sun Certified Java Developer
Sun Certified Web Component Developer
Sun Certified Java Programmer
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
Microsoft Certified Professional + Internet
Microsoft Certified Professional