Verified Expert in Engineering
System Architecture Developer
An expert in web, mobile, back end, and AI system architecture, Simon is truly a well-rounded full-stack engineer. Passionate about healthcare and data engineering, his ten years of experience in the field allow him to work efficiently and deliver high-quality code. He is the chief technology officer (CTO) at HOP TECH; Simon is responsible for building a digital health platform that leverages the power of AI and IoT to help autistic people, fight COVID-19, prevent diabetes, and more.
Google Docs, G Suite, Visual Studio, JetBrains, GitLab, Linux, Windows
The most amazing...
...system I've built is a digital therapeutics platform that leverages the power of AI and IoT wearables to better understand the neurology of autistic people.
Lead Full-stack Developer
- Used React to develop the front end of a modern, opinionated BI tool to track KPIs of businesses that use different SaaS to power their operations.
- Architected and built an integration engine for over 30 SaaS products.
- Developed the back end of the platform using Next.js and Node.js.
- Acted as fractional CTO. Provided technical expertise and advice on software development and software stack.
- Developed, customized, and maintained their React Native app that teaches people how to surf. One of the most notable tasks was developing a video player plugin for their app.
- Maintained and customized the WordPress site for their e-learning platform.
Expert Xamarin Developer
Milliman, Inc. -- Employee Benefits Admin Practice
- Developed and maintained a Xamarin iOS and Android app that wraps a web browser, adds authentication, and provides additional options.
- Developed high-functionality custom renderers for the Android and iOS WebView with enhanced cookie management, file download, and tab management.
- Revamped the app's UI and UX to match the client's website design.
- Completed over 50 new features and bug fixes per year on a 10 h/week contract.
Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
- Managed a team of eight developers and interacted with stakeholders daily to design and build a system that uses data to help autistic people and their caregivers.
- Created a cross-platform mobile app displaying a remote-controlled avatar over WebSockets and Bluetooth. The 3D animated avatar can be a fully personalized character with a voice and outfit for each user.
- Developed and maintained Angular web applications for dashboarding, content management, and data exploration. Optimized application performance to display the millions of collected data with wearable devices.
- Built and designed a cross-platform app that collects sensitive health-related data from a smartwatch and combines it with the user's profile and history to predict current anxiety levels and autistic meltdowns.
- Implemented OAuth2 and OpenID authentication for both mobile and web, ABAC authorization, and the complete client and server logging system on the Node.js back end. Secured all communications using HTTPS.
Tahoe Donner Assocation
- Developed a Xamarin Android binding library around the Square SDK for Android.
- Made an exact replica of the Square SDK Android sample application in Xamarin Android.
- Provided documentation on integrating the binding library for the Square SDK into the client's application.
- Created a Gradle script to download all the dependency files (AAR and JAR) for any Android package.
CTO | Solutions Architect
- Designed the architecture of a modern HR back-office system, accounting for diverse stakeholder needs, various user profiles, SaaS integrations, and extensive requirements.
- Wrote a comprehensive technical vision document detailing the system's architecture.
- Negotiated with vendors to secure the best pricing for solutions.
Software Back-end Architect
- Designed the back-end architecture for a dating app (like Hinge or Tinder) that allows members to filter the suggested profiles with a variety of parameters like geolocation (e.g., members within 50km of me), height, age range, etc.
- Reengineered the existing back end to overcome the limitations of Google Cloud Firestore for queries with a scalable Node.js/Postgres set of services that run on Google Cloud Platform.
- Provided structure to the team's project management process by setting up in a few hours a project management tool (Open Project) and introduced them to the Agile methodology, user stories, and story point estimations.
- Provided cost estimates for the back-end infrastructure on Google Cloud and Firebase that covered usage by 1 thousand, 100 thousand, and 1 million users.
Creative Advanced Technologies (via Toptal)
- Performed requirements elicitation and research to design the architecture and lead a team of developers responsible for the development of a COVID-19 contact tracing application for an entire country in the Middle East (30 million users).
- Came up with clever solutions to complex problems such as distributing new data every hour to millions of active users while avoiding peak loads or keeping users anonymous while still allowing them to access their COVID-19 test results with the app.
- Delivered the high-level architectural design of the entire platform, including a vision document, a high-level system diagram, the user stories, and the initial mobile application's UI prototype.
- Designed key low-level architectural components of the platform, delivering an in-depth architectural overview document, the mobile application architecture diagram, several sequence diagrams, and the system's data structures.
- Produced job descriptions for the rest of the development team, including back-end developers, iOS and Android developers, and DevOps engineers. Also helped the client screen the candidates during the interview process.
ERP Customization Specialist
- Wrote scripts for users of the ERP to query databases, perform data validation, and implemented custom business flows. We used unit testing, acceptance testing, and peer reviews for quality assurance.
- Spoke directly to the clients to document their needs and figure out how NetSuite could be configured and customized to fulfill those needs.
- Collaborated with the lead developers to improve and document the development process.
- Developed a recipe recommendation algorithm that ultimately used caching and database optimizations to improve performance.
- Revamped the user profile page, making it responsive, with a cleaner UI and added a “recommended recipes” widget that I created.
Analytics Software Developer
- Designed and implemented the system's new architecture.
- Developed software that could analyze and transform data retrieved from different types of sensors used in cement factories and produce one-pager reports for management.
- Created an app that could run on Windows 95 and be operated by factory workers to extract the data recorded by cement factory sensors.
Wearable Data Collection App | Xamarin
Built using Xamarin, Angular, Node.js, Bluetooth, and MySQL.
Avatar App for People with Autism | Xamarin
Built using Xamarin, Node.js, iOS SceneKit, WebSockets. It runs on iOS and Android.
MMS Foundation Website | WordPresshttp://www.fondationmms.org/
Built using PHP, WordPress, CPanel, GoDaddy, and Paypal.
Contact Tracing App | Architectural Designhttps://docs.google.com/document/d/1Yn6o_ViaMTOLtT9emPvuFTT0Lhd2e4lan21To7-kea4/edit?usp=sharing
Covid-19 Population Questionnaire | Angular
3D Models Management App | Angular
HOP-Child Technologies Website | WordPress
Video Labeling App | AngularJS
Criminal Attorney Office Website | WordPress
Express.js, .NET, Angular, Jasmine, Next.js, OAuth 2, iOS SceneKit, Apache Spark, ASP.NET, Bootstrap, Tailwind CSS, React Native
Node.js, Chai, REST APIs, jQuery, React, Protobuf, Kepler.gl, OpenID, Doctrine
Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Xamarin, Android, iOS, Docker, Windows, Linux, Amazon Web Services (AWS), WordPress, Azure, Vercel, Buddy
MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, NoSQL, Cloud Firestore, Redis
Back-end, Mobile Apps, CTO, Architecture, Technical Leadership, Software Architecture, System Design, System Architecture, Technical Documentation, APIs, Cloud, Dash, Cost Estimation, Bluetooth, Symphony, Data-level Security, NetSuite, Leadership, Software Engineering, Square, Back-office System Development
Visual Studio App Center, GitLab, JetBrains, Visual Studio, G Suite, Google Docs, Microsoft Access, Microsoft Word, MinGW, VMware, GitLab CI/CD, Gradle
Test-driven Development (TDD), Behavior-driven Development (BDD), MEAN Stack, RESTful Development, Testing, REST, ABAC, E2E Testing, Continuous Deployment, Continuous Integration (CI), Scrum
Bachelor's Degree in Software Engineering
(ETS) École De Technologie Supérieure - Montreal, Canada
Certified Node.js Application Developer
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring