Stephen Harris Davidson
DevOps and Quality Assurance (QA) Developer
Stephen is a software engineer with nearly a decade of experience who specializes in all things test automation and infrastructure. He has varied experience from startups to banks and everything in between. His past work includes web applications, content sites, audio/visual testing, and on the soft side: coaching, mentoring, and leading quality initiatives. Stephen has a passion for increasing quality throughout the entire software delivery pipeline from development to delivery.
ExperienceDevOps - 11 yearsTest Automation - 8 yearsQuality Assurance (QA) - 8 yearsAutomated UI Testing - 8 yearsBehavior-driven Development (BDD) - 8 yearsNode.js - 5 yearsAPI Testing - 4 yearsPerformance Testing - 2 years
Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Linux, Windows, MacOS, Terminal
The most amazing...
...thing I have developed was an audio/visual testing harness for grading meeting quality.
Senior Cloud Engineer
- Led the platform migration from Azure DevOps to GitHub Actions.
- Led the migration of the existing infrastructure as code (IaC) using Terraform.
- Operationalized team infrastructure by implementing monitoring, reliability measures, and redundancy to Azure and Kubernetes infrastructure.
- Containerized all team applications using Docker and introduced local environments.
- Created Helm charts, customized templates, and other tools for cleaner management of the Kubernetes infrastructure.
- Reduced the amount of bot traffic the public-facing APIs experienced by 30% using Akamai.
Team Lead, Engineering Excellence
Shippo, via Toptal
- Led a team of four engineers to achieve an engineering excellence roadmap by providing technical specifications and scope and working with individual engineers to unblock their work.
- Architected a test automation framework using Playwright and a CI/CD pipeline using CircleCI.
- Provided cross-team coaching on best testing practices in both manual and automated testing.
- Reduced deployment cycle time by leveraging improvements in CI/CD and quality gates.
Back-end QA and Developer
Human Factors, LLC
- Bootstrapped and architected end-to-end and unit testing integration for the entire back-end API built using NestJS.
- Containerized the API and updated the CI/CD pipeline using AWS pipelines.
- Led QA initiatives and coached developers on best practices.
- Developed several pieces of the API, including Redis caching and user authentication and verification flows.
- Bootstrapped UI testing automation using Cypress.io.
- Created a visual regression suite using Playwright that tested 250 pages in under one minute.
- Added unit and component tests to the main React repository.
- Managed all manual testing processes, including defect management, test planning, and test execution.
- Architected a UI test automation suite using Cypress.io.
- Architected a CI/CD pipeline using a hybrid Azure/AWS solution, including serverless Lambdas to execute tests.
- Set the test direction for the team by implementing a test strategy and tooling.
Performance Testing Specialist
- Implemented performance tests to simulate traffic of 7000 requests per second against AWS infrastructure and validated results.
- Created a comparison of different routing technologies, specifically Node.js vs. Rust, using performance tooling.
- Successfully deployed and tested routing containers to Kubernetes Cluster to handle 7000 requests per second. This included autoscaling and performance tuning.
Senior Business Tester
- Constructed the entire test lifecycle for three projects, including planning, execution, and reporting.
- Implemented integration tests using Postman to demonstrate vendor system capability to integrate with the client system.
- Oversaw allocation of testing resources throughout the project lifecycle and coordinated all testing tasks using Jira and HP Quality Center.
Engineering Lead, Quality
- Led a team of six quality engineers by providing technical direction, career growth opportunities, and training.
- Commercialized existing Java test automation framework to sell billable hours to customers.
- Introduced quality gates using GitLab CI for the Angular/Protractor test automation suite.
Software Development Engineer in Test
- Implemented system tests for a business-critical Rails application.
- Engineered automated testing tools for high-traffic and volume Drupal applications.
- Coached developers on best testing strategies and code quality methods.
- Produced and maintained end-to-end testing for custom Salesforce applications.
- Bootstrapped and maintained end-to-end testing for the Drupal application.
Test Automation Lead
- Architected test automation for the July and Sunday React web applications.
- Coached developers, product owners, and other test automation engineers on test automation best practices in all levels of testing: manual, unit, component, integration, and end to end.
- Set quality metrics and goals for teams in terms of test coverage and test tool implementation.
- Implemented test automation daily using behavior-driven development tools like Mocha and Cucumber and Node.js.
Senior Software Engineer in Test
- Coached developers on Agile testing and testing best practices, both manual and automated.
- Implemented QA Jenkins jobs to run test automation on various platforms, such as Mac, Windows, and Linux.
- Led quality assurance initiatives such as bug-hunting parties, testing demos, and Agile testing presentations.
- Took full ownership of the operational quality assurance process, including test strategy, test case management, and defect management.
Senior Software Engineer in Test
- Managed all of the QA aspects for the Go2meeting Free team.
- Implemented logging metrics and visualization for our infrastructure.
- Created and maintained an automation test framework for the Go2meeting Free in a Python/BDD stack.
Software Developer in Test
- Maintained test automation in a Ruby framework for Rackspace.com.
- Built a Python test automation framework for Rackspace.com using Selenium and Python.
- Built custom testing tools for developers to assist in day-to-day activities.
- Maintained DevOps for Rackspace.com that the quality assurance team uses.
Redmine Zendesk Updaterhttps://www.redmine.org/plugins/redmine_zendesk_ticket_updater
Selenium, Protractor, TestCafe, Angular, Electron, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Cypress, NestJS
Node.js, REST APIs, WebRTC, React, Puppeteer
Mocha, Git, GitLab CI/CD, GitLab, RSpec, Jenkins, Jira, Terraform, Amazon EKS, Pytest, WebdriverIO, Subversion (SVN), HP Quality Center (QC), Postman, Visual Studio App Center, TestFlight, Apache JMeter, Terminal, Apache Maven, Prisma
Test Automation, Behavior-driven Development (BDD), Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Development (CD), DevOps, Agile, Kanban, REST, Microservices, Unit Testing, ETL, Azure DevOps, Serverless Architecture
Docker, Kubernetes, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Azure, AWS Lambda, OpenStack, MacOS, Windows, Linux, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Oracle
API Testing, Automated UI Testing, Quality Assurance (QA), Integration Testing, Infrastructure as Code (IaC), CI/CD Pipelines, Content Management Systems (CMS), Containers, Performance Testing, QA Leadership, AWS Certified Solution Architect, Cloud Security, Security Testing, K6, Test Management, Test Planning, Test Analysis, Test Case Execution, Test Reporting, Cloud Architecture, Cloud Migration, Machine Learning Operations (MLOps), GitOps, Computer Science, QA Automation, APIs, Autoscaling, Machine Learning, Load Balancers
Datadog, Redis, MySQL
Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science
College of Charleston - Charleston, SC, USA
Certified Kubernetes Application Developer
AWS Solutions Architect Professional
Amazon Web Services
Advanced Level Test Manager (CTAL-TM)
Certified Tester Foundation Level (CTFL)