Verified Expert in Engineering
Stuart is a Microsoft certified software developer, lead, and architect with over 20 years of experience, primarily developing on the Azure cloud. In recent years, he has specialized in enterprise integration and back-end projects, where he tackles problems of scale, performance, and security. Stuart always keeps his skills up to date and is currently ranked inside the top 0.2% of Stack Overflow.
SQL, Azure, .NET, C#, Architecture, Azure DevOps, Technical Writing, Azure Cosmos DB, Azure Service Bus, Apache Kafka
The most amazing...
...thing that I've realized is that although I've delivered over 100 systems into production during my career, there is always something new to learn.
Owner and Technical Consultant
- Consulted for an Anglo-Dutch oil major company to assist in designing and integrating a large-scale commodities trading system using the Azure Data Factory.
- Provided long-term consulting to a US-based startup to build an Azure-based microservices enterprise.
- Assisted new customers strategically on their customer experience and support journey, including integrations with Stripe and Zendesk.
- Assisted Hexagon Metrology with Azure and .NET best practices on a migration project to Azure and CosmosDB.
- Assisted Ubisoft/i3D performance hosting with a high volume, low latency, event-driven architecture to manage and scale large fleets of game servers distributed globally using the actor model.
- Was part of an elite team at NewDay, delivering an innovative financial microservice enterprise into the Azure cloud.
- Assisted with an automated, AI-assisted business process mapping with building learning management and certified training course for their groundbreaking product, using Northpass and iorad.
- Developed training manuals, end user guides, and compliance documentation for a Texas-based home healthcare and visitation system to obtain their EVV certification.
- Worked as part of an elite team building a low latency transactional API and service bus microservice enterprise for NewDay, in the financial/credit industry.
- Provided consulting to the architect at Petroineos Trading Limited to move a batch-driven, on-premises enterprise into a cloud-based, real-time, event-driven analytics platform.
- Created a custom Windows educational game, Compublox Brain Games. The application was written in C# and used either an MS Access (home edition) or SQL Express (franchise version) database.
- Contributed to various projects, including WCF Web Services, an actor and model agency website, and numerous class libraries and components for larger systems.
- Built a prototype advertising and billboard management system for scheduling, monitoring, and distributing media and data content to a large restaurant chain.
Chief Technical Officer | Architect | Team Lead
Galena Hill Systems, LLC
- Assisted in advising the company founder with building a prototype as a part-time freelancer, conducted remote sales presentations to raise seed funding, and then took on the responsibility of CTO and architect to get the product to market.
- Oversaw all standards and DevOps processes on a toolset that included Jira, Confluence, Azure DevOps for CI/CD, and management of NuGet package artifacts.
- Used NUnit and Moq for unit testing and Selenium and Specflow for automated UI testing.
- Integrated the system with the Stripe payment API, where subscriptions and products can be purchased, promotion discounts are run, and subscription upgrades can be prorated.
- Broke up components into reusable and scalable microservices and NuGet packages so that the enterprise could quickly adapt to ever-changing requirements and increasing load.
- Designed and provisioned a ZenDesk support and Zendesk guide knowledge base system for the completed SaaS product, including context-aware help integration into Zendesk articles. Additional training was provided on this product to key customers.
Team Lead | Senior Contractor
Sporting Solutions (Sporting Index Group)
- Led an agile team of engineers and delivered seven real-time sports trading systems into production under tight deadlines without compromising quality. All systems were built to scale elastically and tested to handle large spikes in load.
- Helped establish a culture of continually automating self-diagnosis and failover of systems to keep ownership costs low, with real-time monitoring on Splunk. The few latent residual issues were addressed via root cause analysis and log diagnosis.
- Used the test-first approach to delivery, automating the testing of the systems with NUnit, Specflow, and Selenium.
- Conducted technical interviews for new developer candidates, assisted London management with the growth strategy in Cape Town, nurtured and mentored the development teams, and furthered a culture of continual skills growth in the teams.
Senior .NET Contractor
Old Mutual, PLC
- Contributed to the architecture and delivery of the online tax-free savings account product. Under tight deadlines, both back-end integration and front-end functionality were delivered for internet users to interact with various calculations.
- Used NUnit and Neoload to conduct load testing of back-end APIs and introduced Selenium to the team to ensure the browser's functionality and compatibility testing.
Senior Software Engineering Contractor
Dynamic Visual Technologies, Pty., Ltd.
- Conducted technical interviews for .NET positions within DVT and for the talent exchange, DVT's recruitment subsidiary.
- Served as the architect and lead developer on the vehicle tracking system integration between MUA's systems and the NetStar and Tracker vehicle tracking companies, using .Net 4, SQL 2008, WCF, and EF 4.3.
- Customized SharePoint to enable an automated claims and policy document processing workflow as well as build a lightweight service bus across MSMQ.
- Acted as the senior consultant and lead developer on the 2013 maintenance release of a risk modeling tool on behalf of BSG for a London-based reinsurance company.
- Assisted as a developer with the addition of new features to a .NET Nuke 4 system.
Contract Senior Developer, Retail BPM Team
- Served as a consultant developer on the retail IT business process management team, delivering integration and line of business services for the business across a wide stack of commercial and open-source technologies.
- Integrated Siebel CRM and Oracle line of business systems to bespoke SOA services using RabbitMQ, Protobuf, and caching with Riak.
- Participated in migrating the existing .NET and Java microservices to Scala.
Biztalk Integration Specialist, Contract .NET Developer
Woolworths, Pty., Ltd.
- Integrated custom Woolworths' systems to suppliers' purchase order management systems.
- Led a small .NET team on Woolworths' EDI processing application, which assesses and validates all trade invoices presented by suppliers to Woolworths.
- Advised the Woolworths chief architect on application and integration matters.
- Assisted with the training of junior developers and also assisted in bringing new technologies into their development stack.
Business Edge Systems, Pty., Ltd.
- Redeveloped a legacy medical aid system written in ATK on the IBM Universe DBMS into a contemporary Microsoft .NET 3.0 Smart Client application for Anglo Platinum.
- Mentored a team to assist in adapting from legacy procedural database coding to modern object-orientated design, including training sessions for .NET and C#.
- Automated Smart Client deployment using the MS Smart Client Application Block and ClickOnce installation.
Rand Mutual Assurance Limited
- Ensured that IT systems were aligned with RMA’s strategy and, conversely, that systems were positioned to enable growth in RMA’s business.
- Led a small team of three developers involved in the design and roll-out of CompDiv, an employer accident/disease/IOD claims submission system. The system integrates with RMA’s claims system.
- Implemented an effective, low-cost imaging and scanning solution in Sharepoint for documents (VS 2005, C#). The solution included automated barcode recognition, WebDAV, and indexing metadata via the SharePoint Web Services and CAML.
Software Engineer | Architect
Software Futures Pty Ltd
- Served as the lead developer and architect of the Investec Dividends loyalty program for Investec Private Bank, with integration to an AS/400 transaction system and a proprietary CRM System.
- Served as the lead architect on a system that processes workman's compensation insurance claims for the South African mining sector. The system was built using an ASP Classic Web UI and a tiered COM-based back end on top of an SQL Server database.
- Built additional workflow, client portal, and medical assessment modules to extend the core functionality.
- Integrated the claims system with five other systems using Microsoft BizTalk Server.
- Managed a team of up to 15 developers in delivering the claims and medical insurance systems.
Software Development Engineer
Absolute Systems Pty Ltd
- Worked on a variety of projects including the delivery of ATM banking software, proof of concept work with biometric devices and smart cards, and central management of remote coupon printing devices.
Anglo American Corporation
- Built software to support the instrument and allow geoscientists to access data generated by the instrument.
- Developed software including an EM-absorption spectrum visualization package, and data processing software for the airborne scanner.
Arene.io | Financial Accounting Certified by the Ethereum Blockchainhttps://arene.io
My StackOverflow Profilehttps://stackoverflow.com/users/314291/
My GitHub Profilehttps://github.com/nonnb
XSL, C#, SQL, XSLT, T-SQL (Transact-SQL), XML, HTML, XSD, C++, Visual Basic, Scala, Java, Solidity
.NET, .NET 4, NUnit, Windows Communication Framework (WCF), Entity Framework Core, ASP.NET, MVC Razor, Selenium, SpecFlow, ASP, ASP.NET Web Forms, gRPC
Moq, Stripe, Salesforce API, Entity Framework, Web API 2, Protobuf, LINQ, Microsoft Foundation Class Library (MFC), TPL, Apache HttpClient
RabbitMQ, Git, Jira, NuGet, Autofac, Ninject, Microsoft Visual C++, SAP Remote Function Call (RFC), Jenkins, StructureMap, TeamCity
REST, Continuous Integration (CI), Web Architecture, Microservices, Azure DevOps, Continuous Delivery (CD)
Microsoft SQL Server, Azure SQL, Aerospike, SQL Server 2017, Azure Blobs, Azure Table Storage, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Azure Cosmos DB, Web Forms, Riak, NoSQL, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Redshift
SOLID Principles, Architecture, Performance, Technical Writing, Knowledge Bases, API Design, Service, BizTalk 2010, Azure Service Bus, BizTalk, Mentorship, CTO, XML Web Services, COM, SOAP, WebDAV, Workflow, Reporting, Siebel, GRID, Workbench, QuickBooks Online, Azure Data Factory, Integration, Intuit QuickBooks, Octopus Deploy, Software Development, Engineering
Oracle, Microsoft, Azure, Windows, Linux, SharePoint, IBM WebSphere, Blockchain, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Apache Kafka, Ethereum, Zendesk
Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering, Light Current
University of the Witwatersrand - Johannesburg, South Africa
Microsoft Certified Azure Developer
Functional Program Design in Scala
EPFL (École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne)
Functional Programming Principles in Scala
EPFL (École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne)
MCSD (Web Applications 4.5)
MCTS - Microsoft Biztalk Server 2010
MCPD (Web Developer 4)