Swift Developer in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
iOS Developer2017 - 2017Melodia (via Toptal)
Technologies: Swift, Spotify
- Developed a music playing app in Swift.
- Closely matched designs and desired animations.
- Utilized Spotify SDK.
- Implemented Now Playing functionality.
- Implemented custom collection views.
- Implemented an equivalent to iOS11's drag and drop within the app, before it was a thing.
CTO2007 - 2016Fluid Pixel, Ltd.
Technologies: Swift, Objective-C, Ruby on Rails
- Built up a business with a turnover of over half a million dollars.
- Oversaw the release of over 50 apps across all mobile platforms.
- Developed and released over 12 apps personally.
- Pioneered the development of real-time 360 video on mobile.
- Participated in two Apple WWDC events.
- Gingersnap (Development)http://gingersnap.tv
Gingersnap is an iOS app aimed at connecting grandparents and children through personalized stories, play, activities, and adventure.
I was the lead on the development of two apps, one for grandchildren and one for grandparents.
- Jardine Motors (Development)
Jardine Motors is an interactive sales tool that car dealerships use to up-sell insurance packages on car sales with a 3D showroom car highlighting the benefits of each package to the customer. The iPad app integrates with a sophisticated tracking system so each sales rep can be tracked on sales and performance, as well as fully complying with regulated insurance laws.
- Tax Apps (Development)http://www.taxapps.co.uk
These apps formed a tax information platform for a forward-thinking accounting firm that saw a need in the market for a customizable app that could be individually branded and resold to tax firms around the world. The app features news feeds, push notifications, tax calculators, car expense tracking, multiple currencies, and contact support, all updatable from a web server in real time for a fully flexible platform.
I've managed the development of both the iOS and Android apps and developed the iOS app over the past 2 years.
- Playlists.net (Development)http://playlists.net
This is a curated music playlist service that integrates into Spotify to manage and identify popular playlists. Since working on the rewrite of the iOS app and managing the Android App rewrite, the company has since been sold to Warner Brothers.
- Hidden Newcastle (Development)https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/hidden-newcastle/id514253004?mt=8
Hidden Newcastle is a location-based guide that allows users to explore the strange and forgotten stories of Newcastle’s past. Using region triggers and notifications to alert users to interesting stories nearby, Hidden Newcastle inspires users to explore the city.
The app uncovers the real people who once lived and worked in the city of Newcastle upon Tyne through video, audio, images, and text.
- WLKR (Development)
A Bluetooth beacon and location-based art installation.
Through exploration into identity and community, the group curated 12 questions that were chosen for their ability to evoke meaningful responses. These questions were then used to interview people in Walker, where each individual answer was recorded and stored as an online hidden video. The questions themselves were immortalized as metal plaques, each designed by one of the students on the project. The questions and corresponding answers were linked together by an invisible bond, traceable only by the accompanying WLKR app.
- Next Metro (Development)https://itunes.apple.com/ar/app/next-metro/id1027721895?l=en&mt=8
A collection of offline metro timetables for iOS and Apple Watch.
- Squash Score Referee (Development)https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/squash-score-referee/id1093833787?ls=1&ct=fpstudiosWeb&mt=8
An easy and quick app for scoring squash games. Keep track of games and server sides, see graphs, and share results. Available for iPhone and iPad devices.
FrameworksCore Location, WatchKit, ARKit, iOS SceneKit, Core Data, Core Bluetooth, Unity3D, Ruby on Rails (RoR)
ToolsXcode, Sketch, Apple Push Notifications, Crashlytics, Tower, Fastlane, Adobe Photoshop, Xcode Playgrounds
PlatformsApple Watch, Firebase, iOS, Apple TV, Heroku, Parse, Mixpanel
StorageJSON, PostgreSQL, AWS S3
Libraries/APIsSpriteKit, Twitter API, Twitter iOS SDK, Facebook iOS SDK, Fabric, CocoaPods
ParadigmsAgile Software Development
- Fellowship in Entrepreneurship2008 - 2008Kauffman Institution - Kansas
- Master's degree with Distinction in Computer Animation2004 - 2006Teesside University - Middlesbrough
- Bachelor's degree with first-class honors in Computer Animation2001 - 2004Teesside University - Middlesbrough