Verified Expert in Engineering
Code Architecture Developer
Tim is a senior software architect/engineer generalist. He has built the technology stack for multiple startups from the ground up. He also has experience rescuing projects and turning train wrecks into successful launches. He has worked in many domains, including retail, banking, internet of things, high-performance servers, machine learning, gamification, and scalable application server design. He has worked with cloud servers from Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud, and Azure.
TypeScript, Databases, Git, Redis, PostgreSQL, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Node.js
The most amazing...
...jobs I've completed involve rewriting thousands of lines of code in a barely-working system, producing a more robust architecture without breaking the system.
- Helped many clients create custom technology stacks tailored to their exact business requirements. Rescued clients from code disasters that were preventing their businesses from thriving.
- Designed an API that enables companies to integrate a client's technology without extensive technical support requirements, saving them hundreds of thousands of dollars per year in support requests.
- Developed a back end for an IoT project with an architecture designed to save the client thousands of dollars per month in hosting costs, bringing their infrastructure expenses down to a point where their business plan could be profitable.
- Created a complex sales management process automation tool for a large multinational corporation that will save them time and money in their sales allocation process.
- Developed a cross-platform Android/iOS game that was downloaded more than a million times and collected a cumulative 4.4 star rating.
- Converted an iOS game (NinJump) to Android for Backflip Studios.
- Created a cross-platform game engine that was used in three games and licensed to be used in a non-game project.
- Created three cross-platform iOS/Android mobile applications using Ionic/Cordova, Bluetooth LE libraries, and Angular.
- Fixed bugs and improved performance in an existing Polymer-based application.
- Mentored staff in Ionic, Cordova, Angular, and Node.js programming and source control practices.
- Repaired the code in an IoT Arduino-based project to fix its logic to work reliably with the mobile application I developed.
- Created a simple API using Python/Flask to support several of the Ionic/Cordova applications I developed.
- Led a development team to rebuild the core technology for SKIP from the ground up.
- Created a cross-platform iOS/Android app, an optimized full-stack server infrastructure, a robust connection to a point-of-sale system, and a custom-designed hardware product.
- Hired and managed the teams involved for all of the components, and I designed the architecture to be resilient and to minimize long term costs.
- Mentored new developers, and reviewed code for quality and security.
- Advised the CEO on how the technology could best be leveraged to bring the product to market as quickly as possible.
Software Development Engineer III
- Led the development of an Android client for Amazon’s service AppStream.
- Refactored the example code to share most of the code across all supported platforms, and simplified the example to enable easier adoption/modification by the customer.
- Helped create an AppStream Unity plug-in so that AppStream could be used in a Unity-based game.
- Helped restructure the project documentation to enable the user's guide to cross-reference links to the reference materials.
- Worked with WebRTC technology to stream video from servers to web clients.
- Provided direct help to AppStream clients in working with Android integration of their products.
- Developed tools used by the entire team to improve source control workflow and whole-project versioning (using Git).
- Developed software to run in a Linux-based camera that could stream video to a mobile application using STUN/TURN/ICE firewall piercing.
- Led development on an embedded device using Android as its OS and an Arduino as a watchdog and to interface with peripherals.
- Worked directly with multiple clients as their primary point of contact.
IoT High Volume Data Collection Back End
When I was hired, the current infrastructure was buckling under a minimal load; the company hadn't even scaled up to full capacity and it was already failing. I reworked the architecture to be such that their server costs would be low, which was critical to support their market price point, saving them thousands of dollars per month compared to the approach they first asked me to use. This cost savings enabled their business model to be profitable.
The design also relied as much as possible on managed services, so that their ongoing IT expenses were minimized.
Internal Sales Process Automation Software
The project was a challenge because no one person at the company understood all aspects of the sales process. We understood this going in, and I created a very flexible design that was able to change quickly as new requirements were uncovered from the clients.
The sales process rules were also quite complex. An organic process that had evolved over the years, it was adapted well to humans but not as well to digital logic. After we worked out a consistent algorithm the computer could apply reliably, the resulting algorithm enforced three dimensions of constraints (time, sales hierarchy levels, and sales people) for every item in their catalog. The design was well tested and extensively covered by tests to ensure it behaved as they required.
The truth is that a process that seems simple to the humans who follow it may not be as simple when coded into software. Part of my expertise is in distilling such an algorithm down to its component parts and ensuring it will scale and evolve along with your project and user requirements.
As the product has a free tier, it was imperative that the incremental cost-per-user was as low as possible. I designed and implemented the core architecture in such a way as to minimize their ongoing server costs while allowing it to be easily extended by adding additional features that would add value that some customers would be willing to pay for.
The system we created was able to run at an extremely low cost per user ($0.012/user/month), enabling the company to scale quickly and charge reasonable rates to premium users.
Express.js, Tailwind CSS, React Native, Next.js, OAuth 2, Android SDK, Ionic, Flask, Angular, iPhone SDK
Node.js, Socket.IO, REST APIs, DirectX, OpenGL, React, Babylon.js, Three.js, Cache API, OpenGL ES, Android OpenGL
Android NDK, Git, NPM, Prisma, Terraform, TURN (Traversal Using Relay Around NAT)
API Architecture, Cross-platform, Web Architecture, REST, Desktop App Development, Microservices, Microservices Architecture, Lambda Architecture, ETL
Amazon Web Services (AWS), AWS Lambda, Kubernetes, Azure, Android, Docker, Linux, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Embedded Linux, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), iOS, Bluetooth LE, Arduino, Firebase
PostgreSQL, Redis Cache, Redis, Databases, Relational Databases, Google Cloud, MongoDB, MySQL, Amazon DynamoDB
Technical Leadership, Cloud Services, Code Architecture, Mobile Apps, Software Consulting, Code Auditing, Infrastructure, Games, Game Development, 2D Games, 3D Games, Game Design, Back-end, Caching, APIs, Architecture, 3D Graphics, 3D, Technical Consulting, Technical Architecture, Bluetooth, Video Streaming, Streaming Data, AWS Cloud Architecture, Cloud Architecture, CTO, Mobile Analytics, Scaling, Hardware Drivers, Technical Product Management, Serverless, Containerization, Leadership, Embedded Systems, Project Planning, Internet of Things (IoT), Cordova, STUN, ICE, Game Tools Development