Verified Expert in Engineering
Tolga is a software engineer with 9+ years of experience. He's worked in a startup company for five years as the lead engineer working on every phase of a software project, from requirement gathering and analysis to design, development, testing, and delivery using .NET technologies. For the next two years, he was part of a large and remote scrum team for an enterprise client working with Java technologies and Adobe Experience Manager. Lately, he's been focusing on AWS microservice architectures.
Git, Notepad++, Visual Studio, IntelliJ IDEA, Microsoft Visual Studio, Jira, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Amazon Web Services (AWS)
The most amazing...
...thing I've worked on is an application to optimize cargo routes with a focus on issues around volume capacities, constrained working hours, and area borders.
Geneo Health Technologies
- Designed a desktop-based genomic analysis software with microservice architecture using Elsa Workflows, Amazon DynamoDB, Amazon API Gateway, and Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) for the desktop app.
- Worked on the feasibility analysis of the project. Gathered requirements from the business team of medical and bioinformatic experts and devised architectural approaches to implement the requested software.
- Planned the whole project according to the business requirements. Made strategic decisions to find the gaps in the genomic analysis market and design the software to cover those holes to become successful.
- Implemented multiple CI/CD pipelines to build at least three projects—a WPF desktop app, a Unix-based workflow engine for genomic analysis, and an account service using AWS CodeBuild and AWS CodePipeline.
- Managed a team of junior professionals to create a complex project from scratch. Created all tasks and stories atomically so the team could carry them out without much struggle.
- Worked on preparing both design and graduation documents for government-supported projects.
C# and .NET Cloud Engineer
Deckers - Deckers US
- Worked on re-platforming the client's in-house order management system from their on-premise solution to AWS using event-driven microservice architectures.
- Designed and implemented cloud microservices. Embraced the IaaS approach, created the resources using AWS CloudFormation, and utilized multiple AWS services.
- Worked on support cycles that required monitoring the systems 24/7 and being the first responders in case of an issue.
- Specialized in payment systems and integrations. Implemented four different payment provider integrations while familiarizing myself with over ten.
Senior Software Engineer
- Launched two eCommerce websites for enterprise clients for brands such as L'Ôccitane and Yves Saint Laurent.
- Worked on the initial phases of the Idealz.com project using Salesforce Commerce Cloud (SFCC).
- Adapted to an unfamiliar technology, SFCC, in a short period and helped a team of junior developers successfully launch the projects within the timeline.
eResources (via Toptal)
- Worked as an Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) consultant for ABA.com under the eResources team.
- Analyzed the whole system, documented the existing project, and provided diagrams for the product owners to understand the system. Due to rapid changes within the development team, the project architecture was largely unknown.
- Tracked performance pits, bugs, and design issues and suggested solutions to overcome them. Discovered a crucial design issue causing logins to take more than 100 seconds and provided the correct solution approach.
Senior Web Developer
- Contributed to a Unilever Food Solutions (UFS) project using one of the leading CMS platforms—Adobe Experience Manager (AEM).
- Served as part of the scrum team in Amsterdam for the UFS project, working as a remote developer.
- Implemented the service endpoints, the Spring Data JPA Repository for the data layer, and the Swagger UI for the presentation layer using the Java Spring framework.
- Used AWS technologies, such as API Gateway, CloudSearch, ElastiCache, and S3, to satisfy UFS project requirements.
- Integrated the Facebook login into the UFS platform.
- Integrated the LiveChat Agent App into the back office of the UFS platform.
Lead Software Developer
- Designed a vehicle routing optimization service for a national shipment company. Proposed a novel approach to the traveling salesperson problem, generating a set of capacitated convex hulls, then optimizing the solution with a 3-opt heuristic.
- Led the team working on an enterprise file-sharing solution with desktop, web, and mobile clients.
- Implemented the web service of an enterprise file-sharing solution from scratch using WCF. Optimized the endpoints to support Windows authentication for intranet clients and basic authentication for mobile clients.
- Created the web client of the enterprise file-sharing solution from scratch using .NET MVC.
- Integrated OnlyOffice into the web application of the enterprise file-sharing solution, enabling users to view and edit online documents in real time.
- Designed and developed the desktop application of the enterprise file-sharing solution from scratch, using Windows Forms with CefSharp at the presentation layer.
- Introduced a local synchronization functionality for the desktop application of the enterprise file-sharing solution using WCF duplex bindings.
- Implemented an internal project management system using C# MVC.
- Rolled out a file backup application using WinForms for the desktop application and WCF for the service layer.
- Converted the entire Turkish constitutional law from Microsoft Office documents into a structured database using C#.
Blurring Images in C#
This console application uses a straightforward approach to blur images. By specifying the picture path and window sizes for blurring, users can run the code and generate a new blurred picture. The application does not include production-ready features such as exception handling or performance optimizations. It was developed as a fun, one-night-stand project to create a simple image-blurring application.
Project Management System
It was built for managing Waterfall projects. Projects can be separated into many nested submodules, and each module can be assigned to teams and developers with specific deadlines and milestones. Every project piece also accepted all kinds of documentation to work on. Later on, the solution also integrated announcement and chat modules.
Enterprise File Sharing (SaaS): Fileorbishttp://www.fileorbis.com
The EFS was a SaaS solution marketed to corporate clients. It encompassed web, native iOS, Android mobile, and desktop client applications. Its primary objective was to empower clients to seamlessly integrate and manage their users through LDAP, Active Directory, or our dedicated administrative endpoint.
The EFS provided end users with a plethora of modern features that were a delight to develop. These included selective sync, real-time file synchronization, delta sync, P2P synchronization for local neighbor clients, deduplication, and version history operations.
We developed a convex hull heuristic with capacity and 2-opt and 3-opt optimization algorithms. The heuristic aimed to increase the efficiency of cargo trucks' daily routes. Trucks had volume capacities, constrained working hours, and legally allowed working area borders. We then managed to increase the efficiency by an average of 33% for a relatively large branch in İzmir with three months of historical data. Unfortunately, the project was never launched due to business conflicts.
NeroHealth - Online Exam Platform
Registered branches of the main office could use the platform. Each branch could register new students with the codes provided by the main office. The administrative branches were able to create a variety of tests. The supported test types were regular tests with a time limit for the whole test, memory tests with text or image items to memorize for some time, multiple time-boxed questions for each item, and Likert scale tests. After the tests were created, registered students were given these exams according to the improvement path they bought and their age group. After a certain period upon completing each exam, a higher level test was presented to the student to monitor their improvements.
Enterprise File Sharing (On-premise): Fileorbishttp://www.fileorbis.com
This version was an on-premise solution marketed to corporate clients with their own data centers and file systems. Unlike the SaaS mentioned above, it lacks a desktop application as all the end users were in the intranet and used the existing file system. Integrated with the NTFS and NetApp, the web and mobile applications worked on top of the existing file system, utilizing all existing functionalities, such as permissions and snapshot operations. According to the rules defined by the administrative users, users could share files and folders outside the company via shareable online links. Also, administrative users could see and generate usage and sharing reports for all users, which was a well-received feature by official institutions.
For me, the most fun feature it had was an online document editing tool where users could collaborate on the shared office documents in real time.
Unilever Food Solutionshttps://www.unileverfoodsolutions.co.uk/
We handled the entire development process of UFS, from its back office to the B2B webshop. Leveraging the robust CMS platform Adobe Experience Manager, I played a pivotal role in developing new components and ensuring the smooth operation of existing functionalities as part of the innovative UFS team.
Working on this enterprise-level project, which catered to approximately 50 countries, was a delightful experience.
Web-based Remote Sensing Application
I developed a few filtering and clustering algorithms used in remote sensing satellite images, such as low-pass filters, mean filters, median filters, high-pass filters, Laplacian filters, Sobel filters, unsupervised clustering algorithms, and KMeans clustering. Additionally, I developed a user-friendly library to play with band combinations of a satellite image for this project using GDAL.
SELFSIM: A Discrete-event Simulator for Distributed Self-stabilizing Algorithmshttps://github.com/tolgaevcimen/DistributedSimulator
Distributed algorithms are hard to design and test since they require many distinct processors to work on. Self-stabilizing ones are even harder as the system has to be alive in real time while some processors are born, and some are dying. In order to ease out the development and testing processes of distributed algorithms, I developed a thread-based self-stabilizing distributed simulator. This tool can either be used for developing or testing new algorithms or going through the execution of an algorithm step-by-step for educational purposes. We also published this work as an academic paper at a local conference.
Performance Evaluation of Distributed Self-stabilizing Dominating Set Algorithms in WSNs
Book Chapter: Capacitated Graph Theoretical Algorithms for Energy Efficient WSN and Ad Hoc Networks
ASP.NET MVC, .NET, ASP.NET Web API, Windows Communication Framework (WCF), .NET Core, Spring, Thymeleaf, JPA, Mockito, Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF), Spring Boot, Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF)
Windows Forms (WinForms), LINQ, jQuery DataTables, jQuery Validation, jQuery File Upload, jQuery, Entity Framework, GDAL/OGR, SignalR, REST APIs, Spring REST, Moq
Agile Software Development, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Continuous Delivery (CD), Continuous Integration (CI), Non-CMS Web Development, Unit Testing, Design Patterns, Microservices, REST, DevOps
Web Server (IIS), Web Development, EventBus, APIs, AWS CodePipeline, Messaging, Amazon API Gateway, Amazon CloudSearch, Distributed Systems, RSync, LDAP, Image Processing, Windows Services, Elsa Workflows, Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL), CIO, Writing & Editing, Technical Writing
IntelliJ IDEA, Microsoft Visual Studio, Visual Studio, Notepad++, Git, Dapper, Sightly, RabbitMQ, Apache Maven, Amazon ElastiCache, Adobe Experience Manager (AEM), Plesk, Jira, Bamboo, Salesforce Commerce Cloud (SFCC)
Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2016, AWS Lambda, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Amazon EC2, AWS Elastic Beanstalk, cPanel, Demandware
SQL Server 2012, SQL Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2016, Azure Active Directory, Microsoft SQL Server, NetApp, SQL Server 2010, SQL Server 2014, MongoDB, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Spring Data JPA, MySQL, Amazon DynamoDB
Master's Degree in Distributed Algorithms
Ege University - İzmir, Turkey
Bachelor's Degree in Software Engineering
İzmir University of Economics - İzmir, Turkey