Tom is a senior front-end engineer with 7+ years of experience at remote-first US companies. He's a self-taught web developer with a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering. His achievements include increasing build speed by 83% and reducing front-end bundle size by 20% over the years of maintenance. Tom is an open-source contributor, fixing code and updating documentation, and a unidirectional data-flow advocator with recent XState experience.
React, Babel, Webpack, Next.js, Single-page Applications (SPA), REST, XState, SWC, HTML5, CSS3
The most amazing...
...project I've contributed to are the open-source projects that have brought about notable improvements and for which I received positive feedback.
Individual Front-end Consultant
- Improved the efficiency of the stockholders’ daily workflows drastically.
- Crafted a Next.js single-page application from 0 to 1 with smooth navigations and great UX.
- Shipped React-powered single-page applications from their user stories.
- Reviewed the front-end architecture and suggested insightful action plans.
- Migrated to the modern React components from the Backbone.js controllers.
- Upgraded the asset build toolchain to webpack/CommonJS from RequireJS/AMD.
- Testimonial: "Tom could work with vague requirements." – Client.
Senior Front-end Engineer (Contractor)
- Used GitHub issues and PRs and extensive code reviews. Communications were done on GitHub issues and Slack DMs and could work with vague requirements.
- Impressed stockholders and users with the new system, greatly improved their daily workflow efficiency, and reduced wasted time.
- Engineered the admin interface for the food delivery dashboard UI.
- Worked closely with designers and product owners to deliver features within Agile sprints.
- Rewrote the whole single-paged codebase with batman.js from the previous AngularJS one.
- Created email templates from scratch with mockups from designers.
- Brainstormed the product with two co-founders and defined MVP with UX in mind.
- Engineered the matching system between the college coaches and the high school students.
- Involved in the DevOps process with daily deployments on Heroku.
I configured auto deployment to Vercel and set up Next.js Static Generation with this project.
React, REST APIs, jQuery
Webpack, Babel, PostCSS
Functional Reactive Programming, Functional Programming, REST
Single-page Applications (SPA), Electrical Engineering, Chakra UI, XState, APIs, User Interface (UI), User Experience (UX), Application State Management, Internationalization, Styled-components, SWC
Next.js, Redux, Ruby on Rails 3, Bootstrap
Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering
National Taiwan University - Taipei, Taiwan