Verified Expert in Engineering
Tom is a senior front-end engineer with 7+ years of experience at remote-first US companies. He's a self-taught web developer with a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering. His achievements include increasing build speed by 83% and reducing front-end bundle size by 20% over the years of maintenance. Tom is an open-source contributor, fixing code and updating documentation, and a unidirectional data-flow advocator with recent XState experience.
React, Babel, Webpack, Next.js, Single-page Applications (SPA), REST, XState, SWC, HTML5, CSS3
The most amazing...
...project I've contributed to are the open-source projects that have brought about notable improvements and for which I received positive feedback.
Individual Front-end Consultant
- Improved the efficiency of the stockholders’ daily workflows drastically.
- Crafted a Next.js single-page application from 0 to 1 with smooth navigations and great UX.
- Shipped React-powered single-page applications from their user stories.
- Reviewed the front-end architecture and suggested insightful action plans.
- Migrated to the modern React components from the Backbone.js controllers.
- Upgraded the asset build toolchain to webpack/CommonJS from RequireJS/AMD.
- Testimonial: "Tom could work with vague requirements." – Client.
Senior Front-end Engineer (Contractor)
- Used GitHub issues and PRs and extensive code reviews. Communications were done on GitHub issues and Slack DMs and could work with vague requirements.
- Impressed stockholders and users with the new system, greatly improved their daily workflow efficiency, and reduced wasted time.
- Engineered the admin interface for the food delivery dashboard UI.
- Worked closely with designers and product owners to deliver features within Agile sprints.
- Rewrote the whole single-paged codebase with batman.js from the previous AngularJS one.
- Created email templates from scratch with mockups from designers.
- Brainstormed the product with two co-founders and defined MVP with UX in mind.
- Engineered the matching system between the college coaches and the high school students.
- Involved in the DevOps process with daily deployments on Heroku.
I configured auto deployment to Vercel and set up Next.js Static Generation with this project.
React, REST APIs, jQuery
Webpack, Babel, PostCSS
Functional Reactive Programming, Functional Programming, REST
Single-page Applications (SPA), Electrical Engineering, Chakra UI, XState, APIs, User Interface (UI), User Experience (UX), Application State Management, Internationalization, Styled-components, SWC
Next.js, Redux, Ruby on Rails 3, Bootstrap
Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering
National Taiwan University - Taipei, Taiwan
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring