Travis Vander Hoop
Verified Expert in Engineering
The most amazing...
...thing I've developed was my old side project, RemoteRetro.org, a web app for conducting Agile retrospectives used by hundreds of companies across the globe.
Consulting Software Developer
- Established a Node/React/AWS-S3 application focused on compliant and secure file sharing in the legal space.
- Built out secure generation and usage of pre-signed AWS S3 URLs for a full suite of secure file management functionality.
- Built out comprehensive authorization rules to ensure files were only accessible to the appropriate parties.
- Managed all infrastructure setup using Timescale's cloud offering, Gigalixir for server hosting, AWS CloudFront as an asset CDN, and Cloudflare for DNS, page rules, and DDoS protection.
- Set up all CI/CD with GitHub Actions and Gigalixir, writing tests across all levels of the stack and testing pyramid.
Consulting Elixir Developer
The Estée Lauder Companies
- Worked across the organization to introduce reverse-proxying to an Elixir Phoenix application such that it could be used across 800+ domains for sensible dual-pathing of legacy features.
- Optimized our builds in GitHub actions, slicing over 1 minute (over 30%) off of every build by optimizing ExUnit/Wallaby tests and removing numerous compilation bottlenecks.
- Groomed work and collaborated across numerous teams to ensure that the goal of the work was understood and had clearly defined success metrics.
Consulting Software Developer
- Identified solutions for Google search indexing failures on more than 150,000 product pages.
- Detected and groomed numerous front-end optimizations for the organization's front-end team.
- Identified no-code optimizations in the client's existing AWS CloudFront setup.
Principal Software Developer
- Led a team of five developers in optimizing Peloton's web performance, taking their homepage's seventy-fifth percentile LCP from 10.5 seconds down to 3.5 seconds in just three months.
- Started a personalization team from scratch, leading the implementation of a no-code solution for releasing Optimizely multivariate tests with custom Contentful-managed content.
- Built out a new Web Performance Optimization service offering for Stride.
Lead Software Developer
- Led and scaled a team of 11 developers in remediating 3,000+ accessibility violations on OnePeloton.com (React/TypeScript/styled-components).
- Developed a 4-day training program in extreme programming that is delivered to every new Strider.
- Led a team of four to develop an internal Rails, Vue, and PostgreSQL project to manage sales ingestion staffing.
- Built out numerous pages and features in React on warbyparker.com.
Senior Software Developer
- Led the redesign of Elysium Health's subscription billing pipeline in Ruby.
- Contributed to developing numerous Node.js platform libraries and React component libraries at Shutterstock.
- Began the development of RemoteRetro.org as a small professional development project, eventually scaling it to service hundreds of businesses across the globe.
- Led a team of four engineers developing a Node.js/Angular app at a major media company. It visualized Nielsen actuals against data science estimates using D3.js and aided in the submission of hundreds of millions of dollars in ad sales annually.
- Developed numerous full-stack features in Ruby on Rails and React at Plated.
- Built out a handful of Node.js microservices at NBC.
Web Development Instructor
- Helped launch the careers of over 80 graduate web developers.
- Developed "battle room," an instructional OSS Ruby gem.
Web Content Manager
- Maintained the back end of the MoralEyes website using the Shopify and WordPress CMSs, including changing templates' HTML and CSS to align with our branding.
- Managed the content of all social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Pinterest.
- Composed, edited, and proofread all aspects of Moraleyes.com.
Redux, Express.js, Jest, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Phoenix, Cypress, AngularJS, Tailwind CSS, Next.js
React, Node.js, REST APIs, React Redux, Vue, Recharts, D3.js
Web Performance Optimization (WPO), Scrum, Test-driven Development (TDD), Web App Design, Behavior-driven Development (BDD), REST, Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
MacOS, Heroku, Contentful, Shopify, WordPress, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Team Leadership, Full-stack, Front-end, eCommerce, Web Applications, Flux Architecture, Leadership, Web Development, Agile Delivery, Engineering, Core Web Vitals, User Interface (UI), Integration Testing, Full-stack Development, Writing & Editing, Public Speaking, Responsive Web Apps, APIs, Back-end, Edtech, CI/CD Pipelines, Documentation, Charts, User Experience (UX), Content Management Systems (CMS), Architecture, Web Services, Semantic UI, Cloudinary, Data Visualization, Dashboards, Graphs, Copywriting, Hootsuite, Ruby Gems, WebSockets, Google Search Console, Google SEO, Fashion, Webhooks, SEO Tools, Phoenix LiveView, Timescale, Time Series, Cloudflare, DNS, Vite, Vitest
PostgreSQL, MySQL, Amazon S3 (AWS S3)
Bachelor's Degree in Creative Writing
University of Wisconsin - Madison, WI, United States