Phoenix, AZ, United States
Member since November 16, 2015
Katrina is an innovative user experience and interaction designer with more than a decade of experience in product design for the web, desktop, mobile, and embedded applications. She creatively translates complex problems into elegant, usable solutions that exceed expectations and across devices. She approaches product design with a broad experience, a big picture focus, and a passionate user advocacy.
- Mobile Designer2016 - 2016Cruise Port Navigation, LLC (via Toptal)
Technologies: Sketch, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, iOS, HTML
- Worked with startup team to build and launch an iOS app for cruise travel in Japan. I worked as the UX lead along with a visual designer and developer to understand our users and the challenges they face when take a cruise.
- Researched and understood our target demographic, their mental models, and their current approach to traveling/cruising ensured that we accounted for some of the challenges they face when planning and navigating a different port each day.
- Worked with team and users to create workflows, wireframes, and mock ups of the app UI and interaction design. Collaborated with visual designers, developers, and stakeholders to get designs into production.
- User Experience Designer2015 - 2015General Dynamics
Technologies: Axure, Adobe Photoshop, Keynote, Bootstrap
- Designed an antenna control unit interface, including UX research with users to document scenarios, task flows, and assess validity of future product features and usability of existing products.
- Established a style and pattern library for the development and product teams to use in future enhancements.
- Researched, strategized, and led UX improvements for a public facing website redesign.
- Served as the UX ‘Critical Eye,’ reviewing comps for usability issues, and partnering with web vendors and business units to work through features and concepts.
- Performed content inventory and audits, created information architecture, and overhauled the taxonomy development.
- Senior UX Designer2012 - 2014Pearson Education
Technologies: Adobe Photoshop, Keynote, Bootstrap, Illustrator, WordPress
- Led the interaction design team on a responsive website redesign and mobile community website. We redesigned the strategy and feature definition into information architecture, the site maps, did the sketching and wireframing, visual design, and worked in close collaboration with development and business stakeholders.
- Helped manage content workflow from week to week using a combination of Google Docs, Basecamp, and WordPress integration and helped to plan a community site road map.
- Initiated a customer experience mapping effort that identified gaps in current product onboarding process, this was having a major impact on activation numbers and business goals. New, proactive touch points were quickly implemented in time for the "Back to School" season and the overall mapping process helped define best practices organization wide for all products going forward.
- Facilitated and participated in usability testing for several product platforms in development and for improving user experience of existing platforms.
- Worked closely across business units and partners including NBC Learn to integrate content across software platforms.
- Redesigned a product trial workflow to create a more customized and consistent experience for users and less back-end work for admin. Increased trial user registrations from 146 to 3,890 in over a 10 month span.
- Contributed to the success of Pearson’s Online Learning Exchange that yielded $10 million in revenue over the first two years in the market.
- Marketing and Web Designer2006 - 2012Advanced Audiology
Technologies: HTML, CSS, Photoshop, WordPress
- Planned, developed, and executed a medical website for Audiology Practice with emphasis on website branding, usability, user experience, and search engine optimization strategy.
- Edited and integrated a client news video and patient testimonials into a website to build awareness and credentials.
- Implemented an online appointment scheduling module creating a point of need access for patients and streamlining back office scheduling and accuracy.
- Initialized and promoted the ongoing use of SEO strategies to increase awareness, search ranking, and expand the practice’s online presence.
- Increased internet referrals by 200% within the first year.
- Marketing Strategist and Web Designer, Contract2010 - 2011Kate Culligan Associates
Technologies: HTML, Photoshop, WordPress, Basecamp
- Provided web site, UX, and IA design solutions with emphasis on website differentiation from current market competition and harnessing the power of social networking to communicate with users.
- Created initial user survey research and feedback to assure usability attributes.
- Significant re-positioning, re-branding, and logo development.
- Edited and integrated client social media efforts such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Meetup, and email newsletters into the website to build brand awareness and credibility.
- Created an online social gathering place for clients and prospects to share ideas, network among themselves, and to stay aware of local job opportunities.
- Usability Analyst certificate in User-Centered Design2014 - 2014Human Factors International - Seattle, WA (USA)
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (Marketing)2004 - 2008University of Denver - Denver, CO (USA)
- Usability Analyst CertificateJULY 2014 - PRESENTHuman Factors International