Senior Project Manager and Planning Advisor2018 - 2020Alberta Energy Regulator, Canada
- Simultaneously led multiple cross-functional projects, programs, and portfolios designed to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the 1,200-member organization.
- Worked on various projects including software product development, process optimization, and regulatory instrument design and successfully delivered them resulting in $281 million annual savings to the regulated energy industry.
- Advised executive teams during the design, planning, and implementation of agile transformation. Applied a hybrid approach to managing a program with 40+ people using agile software development and waterfall implementation of government direction.
- Coached the product manager and project team during the development of the software that provides a holistic assessment of multiple data points and supports data-driven decision making (600+ users from multiple departments).
- Worked with executives and domain experts to build product vision and overall roadmap for delivery. Led discovery workshops, backlog grooming, and sprint planning sessions.
- Worked directly with strategy ad operations VPs and directors to align project work with the organizational strategic direction.
- Managed the needs of various internal and external stakeholder groups, including energy companies and associations, different levels of government, members of the public, and indigenous people.
- Designed a systematic approach to planning, monitoring, and reporting. Developed and deployed the performance measurement strategy to monitor progress towards desired outcomes and to inform business decisions.
- Provided strategic advice to the executive team during the creation of a new Innovation business unit.
- Guided this department through the identification of its mission, vision, strategic priorities, and positioning within and outside of the organization.
Product Manager, Continuous Improvement2015 - 2017Alberta Energy Regulator, Canada
- Advised the senior leadership teams on developing high-quality project proposals and prioritizing project work based on its impact and alignment with organizational strategic direction.
- Developed a strategy to integrate continuous improvement mindset for problem-solving and process improvement into day-to-day business activities of the 700-member operations division.
- Participated in the development of the continuous improvement training strategy and delivered targeted training sessions to more than 200 people across 12 regional offices.
- Coached and mentored project managers on the application of Lean Six Sigma methodology, project management, and team management.
- Prepared the project managers for ASQ Lean Six Sigma certification.
- Designed the curriculum and led the group and one-on-one training sessions based on my experience of being the first black-belt certified practitioner in the department.
Project Manager, Continuous Improvement2015 - 2015Alberta Energy Regulator, Canada
- Planned and managed multiple cross-functional process improvement projects that contributed to $224 million in annual savings to the regulated industry. Used lean, Six Sigma, and agile methodologies to fit the problem at hand.
- Worked directly with internal and external customers to deeply understand their pain points, needs, and potential areas for improvement. Focused on workflow design, waste and backlog elimination, defect reduction, and quality improvement.
- Used statistical, analytical, and creative problem-solving approaches to identify root causes of problems and develop appropriate solutions.
- Oversaw the implementation of solutions to ensure timely delivery, change adoption, and sustainment. Project results include streamlined processes, increased process capability & predictability, and improved company credibility.
- Continuously worked on negotiating and building consensus across various internal functions: operations, strategy, regulatory development, law, communications, and IT.
- Utilized various team-building techniques to manage distributed teams (e.g., facilitated daily standups and sprint planning sessions while working on a software solution to automate publication of application notices on the company website).
Business Intelligence Analyst2013 - 2015Alberta Energy Regulator, Canada
- Used data analytics and visualization to depict the business unit’s performance.
- Developed and executed a strategy to enhance the business unit’s data collection, data management, and reporting capabilities (e.g., leveraged Tableau to automate three-level reports to satisfy the needs of executives, managers, & technical experts).
- Gathered system requirements, designed, developed, and rolled out a solution that enabled the integration of data from multiple systems and simultaneous review of files by numerous technical experts.
Researcher2011 - 2015Johnson-Shoyama Graduate School of Public Policy, Canada
- Assessed the effectiveness of existing programs and policies.
- Identified regulatory gaps, and evaluated alternative policy options by using statistics, modeling, forecasting, cost-benefit analysis, and impact assessment methods.
- Worked on the “Economic Integration of the Aboriginal Population in Canada” study and the results of the study were presented at the conference in Amsterdam, Netherlands, and included in “The Economics of Cultural Diversity” publication.