Verified Expert in Engineering
Gareth has nearly two decades of 3D, games, and VR development experience at all levels of the stack and on a number of platforms (including AAA console games). He has been programming 3D, VR, and games engine since the 1990's—from R&D on sophisticated rendering techniques down to low-level driver development.
Ubuntu Linux, Clang, CMake, Visual Studio, Windows
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on was the ray-tracing PowerVR GPUs that I developed at Imagination Technologies—these fundamentally changed the way GPUs work.
Lead Software Design Engineer
- Developed OpenRL—a ray-tracing API based on OpenGL ES. It's a version of OpenGL that incorporates raytracing; it required low-level C++ development on all areas of the stack from the low-level driver upwards; a link to more information is provided in my portfolio.
- Developed the compiler using LLVM. I gained extensive experience developing shader compilers using the Low-Level Virtual Machine framework, including developing in the LLVM source code itself.
- Implemented ray-tracing techniques on desktop GPUs. It required in-depth general purpose GPU programming on a variety of APIs including OpenCL, CUDA, and DirectX.
- Worked with the PowerVR architecture team to produce a set of GLES extensions for ray-tracing.
- Researched and implemented sophisticated rendering techniques using the PowerVR ray tracing hardware.
- Integrated ray-tracing into the Unity 3D engine. It required extensive low-level Unity development. The work formed the centerpiece of PowerVR's presentations at GDC in 2014 and 2016; YouTube links can be found in my portfolio.
- Evangelized PowerVR ray-tracing technology by presenting at GDC in 2014 and 2016, publishing a chapter in GPU Pro 6; a link to more information is provided in my portfolio.
Lead Engine Programmer
- Worked as an engine programmer for Enemy Territory: Quake Wars for PS3 (released Summer 2008).
- Led the engine programming on X-Men: The Official Game (released in May 2006).
- Developed extensively tools using 3DS Max and Maya.
- Built high-performance game engines in C++ for Xbox 360 games consoles.
- Created high performance game engines in C++ for PS3 games consoles.
- Developed the Virtual Mummy project with the British Museum. Produced an interactive volume rendering of a 3,000-year-old Egyptian mummy from CAT scan. The project was written in C using OpenGL Volumizer.
- Worked with CTN and the United Kingdom Department of Trade and Industry to produce the Future Focus immersive 3D application. Based on OpenGL powered by an SGI Onyx visual supercomputer.
- Taught courses in OpenGL at SGI's UK headquarters.
Hybrid Raytracing Demo and Presentation: GDC 2014http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020688/Practical-Techniques-for-Ray-Tracing
Apartment Scene Demo: GDC 2016https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxE2SYDHFtQ
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars (PS3)http://www.mobygames.com/game/ps3/enemy-territory-quake-wars
X-Men The Official Gamehttp://www.mobygames.com/game/xbox360/x-men-the-official-game
Reign of Fire (GameCube)http://www.mobygames.com/game/gamecube/reign-of-fire
GPU Pro 6: Hybrid Ray-Tracing on a PowerVR GPUhttps://www.crcpress.com/GPU-Pro-6-Advanced-Rendering-Techniques/Engel/p/book/9781482264616
GPU Zen: Profiling and Optimizing WebGL Applications Using Google Chrome
Virtual Mummy Projecthttp://3d-nurds.blogspot.com/2015/01/virtual-mummies.html
Imagination Technologies | OpenRL
Imagination Technologies | Integration of Ray-tracing into a Unity 3D Enginehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxE2SYDHFtQ
Imagination Technologies | Evangelization of PowerVR Ray-tracing Technology
Unity3D, Unity, Unreal Engine, Flask
WebGL, OpenGL ES, OpenGL, DirectX, Android OpenGL, Vulkan
Microsoft Visual Studio, CMake, Android NDK, 3ds Max, Visual Studio, Maya, Xcode, Make
GPGPU, Data Science
Android, NVIDIA CUDA, Windows, Ubuntu Linux
Augmented Reality (AR), OpenCL/GPU, 3D, LLVM, Mixed Reality (MR), Mixed Reality Developer, Virtual Reality (VR), Clang, Graphics Processing Unit (GPU), Volume Rendering, Optimization, Multithreading
Master of Engineering Degree in Computer Science
University of Manchester - Manchester, UK