Verified Expert in Engineering
BI Architect and Developer
In his 17 years in IT, Josip went from developer, startup owner, DWH architect to manager. Mainly focusing on the financial industry, he was part of large reporting and decision support systems from initial design to production, leading development teams to deliver great products that are still in production today. He has advanced knowledge of project management (both waterfall and agile), the entire SQL Server stack, Oracle, Snowflake, dbt, Airlflow, Python, Tableau, and PowerBI.
SQL Server Management Studio, Tableau, Microsoft Power BI, RStudio, Snowflake, Data Build Tool (dbt), Python, Apache Airflow
The most amazing...
...thing I've done was to take over a team of senior data warehouse experts, formed a team of outstanding individuals, and managed to provide the results needed.
Lead BI Architect | Team Lead
Erste Group IT
- Led a team responsible for creating a data framework, an abstraction layer for a semantic interface, and reporting using business terminology. Owned personal responsibility for the data reporting engine creation in PowerBI and Tableau.
- Used PowerBI and Tableau to create reports and reported on architectures that allowed business users to effectively query DWH data without knowing implementation details.
- Established data visualization best practices, depending on data type and business area. Also designed multiple template reports that show a unified approach to group reporting.
- Led proof-of-concept activities for testing new technologies and development methodologies.
- Held multiple education and demonstration events for internal IT and business users to show what can be done using these tools.
Senior Business Intelligence Analyst
Addiko Bank AG
- Analyzed and documented business requests, leading a team of internal and external consultants.
- Developed the implementation strategy and BI architecture based on SQL Server technology stack.
- Managed and executed IT projects and successfully led a team of consultants.
- Conducted hands-on development of important and more complex database modules.
- Held education sessions for internal company employees.
- Deployed new features to production and effectively fulfilled the role of a release manager.
Senior BI Consultant
- Developed ETL and reporting solutions for Philip Morris, mostly focusing on data warehouse architecture design and reporting dataset optimizations.
- Worked on the development of ETL and reporting solutions for Porsche Leasing, mostly focusing on data warehouse architecture design and reporting dataset optimizations.
- Developed ETL and reporting solutions for Societe General bank, mostly focusing on data warehouse architecture design and reporting dataset optimizations.
Senior BI Consultant
- Developed ETL and reporting solutions for Slovenian telecom data warehouse.
- Created ETL and reporting solutions for Slovenian telecom Netezza implementation, where I was designing a new module for call detail records analysis, as part of the biggest Netezza implementation in eastern Europe.
- Worked on the development of ETL and reporting solutions for Slovenian Ministry of Agriculture, reporting for EU funds allocation.
PowerBI and Data Architecturehttps://www.gartner.com/en
to executives and their teams. I worked on the implementation of PowerBI dashboards for the Snowflake database, using Airflow and dbt. Additional responsibilities included architecting data consumption from various public data sources ( Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.) and creating proof-of-concept tests of different tools and methods.
SQL Server/Oracle Expert | Swiss Re Management (via Toptal)https://www.pepsico.com/
SQL Server/Oracle Expert | Swiss Re Management (via Toptal)
Development and Analysis | Johnson & Johnson
My role, as part of the reporting department, was to get myself up to date with the existing setup, propose improvements, and develop modules that would support new requirements of the marketing and sales departments. The work focused on updating the reporting/database solutions and to remove the use of Excel, as much as possible in daily business operations.
Life Church (via Toptal)https://www.life.church/
Technical Writer for Project Management (via Toptal)http://sterlingcapitalbrokers.com/
American Taekwondo Association (via Toptal)http://www.ataonline.com/
Briefing: The Data Warehousehttps://www.toptal.com/insights/future-of-work/briefing-the-data-warehouse
Blog: SQL Server 2016 Always Encryptedhttps://www.toptal.com/sql-server/sql-server-2016-always-encrypted
The standard approach to ensuring security is to encrypt data on the server and use the SSL-enabled HTTPS protocol to secure data in transport. However, what if we could increase the level of security even further, by using HTTPS and sending data in an encrypted format over the communication line, only to decrypt data on clients who have valid certificates? That approach would make a traditional man-in-the-middle (MITM) attack much more difficult.
Microsoft’s solution to this problem is Always Encrypted, a way to send encrypted data over the pipeline and decrypt it only by users with access to valid certificates. So, even if the attacker gets the data, without a proper certificate stored on the client machine, the data would be useless.
This article describes how to set up and use Always Encrypted, and it’s recommended reading for anyone who is sending important data over the public communication lines, even if they are secured with SSL.
SQL, T-SQL (Transact-SQL), C#, Python, Snowflake, YAML, Excel VBA
Microsoft Project, Tableau, Microsoft Power BI, Toad, PyCharm, SQL Server BI, Apache Airflow
Agile, Waterfall Development, ETL, Business Intelligence (BI)
Oracle PL/SQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Azure SQL, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), SQL Server 2017, Database Modeling, Databases, SQL Server DBA, Netezza
Data Modeling, Project Management Professional (PMP), Business Analysis, Team Leadership, Data Visualization, Data Engineering, SAP BusinessObjects Data Service (BODS), SAP BusinessObjects (BO), Data Architecture, Data, Client Management, Data Build Tool (dbt)
Oracle, Azure, RStudio, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), QlikView
Master of Business Administration (MBA) in General Management
COTRUGLI Business School - Zagreb, Croatia
Master of Science Degree in Computing
Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing, University of Zagreb - Zagreb, Croatia
Project Management Professional (PMP)
ITIL Foundation V3