Verified Expert in Engineering
Kevin has been working on front- and back-end projects since joining an internet startup in 1998. He's been developing with Android since its very early days and had made significant contributions to several large and small projects. Kevin enjoys working in teams of all sizes, digging into legacy code, and communicates exceptionally well.
Firefox, Chrome, MacOS, Linux, Bash, Sublime Text, IntelliJ IDEA
The most amazing...
CEO | Co-founder
- Created the architecture, back, and front ends for Om7Sense, an IoT startup focusing on data centers, using React for the front end.
- Developed back ends consisting of high-availability OSGi containers written in Java running in Eclipse Kura on embedded Linux.
- Stored data in MySQL in a hierarchical fashion that can support years of high-resolution usage data on a 32 GB device.
- Implemented real-time communication using MQTT between the front end and back end.
- Built a mesh of nodes with distributed permissions according to the IoT gateway and concentrator concept.
Head of Technology
- Acted as head of technology and aimed to build up all tech departments and kickstart the back-end and mobile app development.
- Implemented high-performance product importer reading 700 thousand of medical product metadata and imagery from custom format into commerce tools.
- Implemented fulfillment pipeline using low code tools.
- Set up a tech hiring pipeline by training tech recruiters and interviewing candidates.
- Implemented architectural best practices and made tech stack choices in alignment with the founders' vision.
Android Security Engineer
- Maintained and extended a low-level security library for Android, containing encryption, device integrity checks, and anti-tampering.
- Migrated an Android app from Jetpack/Android X to the Android Support library.
- Supported the app by creating an installer for the Android library.
- Wrote a Gradle plugin for SDK/library for Android.
- Improved documentation and wrote quick-start documentation.
- Consulted on technical due diligence for the third-party merger.
- Interviewed developers to judge experience and team workflow.
- Reviewed code and source code history for quality.
- Reviewed existing intellectual property and licensing.
- Analyzed an Android app's architecture, security, and resilience.
Freelance Mobile Developer
Börse Go AG
- Helped develop a rich phone and tablet app that shows real-time financial data in a comprehensive but visually striking way.
- Migrated a large legacy Java codebase to Gradle, Kotlin, and RxJava.
- Implemented strong Material UI in cooperation with the design and iOS team.
ProSiebenSat.1 Media SE
- Developed multiple landing sites for video streaming portals surrounding sports events.
- Integrated streaming video into web solutions for desktop and set-top boxes.
- Conducted rapid prototyping and worked with a visual designer.
- Created an Android app from scratch that collects and visualizes data from a client's IoT water usage measuring device.
- Implemented the background and a power-efficient Bluetooth LE data retrieval feature compatible with the maximum number of Android devices.
- Conducted large-scale matrix testing of devices and operating system versions.
- Executed real-time synchronization with the back-end, supporting multiple data sources updating together.
- Created a graphical visualization of water usage.
- Extended the open-source mobile messenger, Telegram, with a search interface and multi-modal photo sharing while working closely with the product designer.
- Created the Places API's infrastructure, including the document schema, storage, and REST API.
- Researched search engine data sources for the mobile web.
- Developed an in-car navigation experience that coupled sound and video to the points of interest.
- Implemented a Google Maps API with geofences downloaded from a REST API to activate the audio/video scenes while driving.
- Used Android Multimedia APIs to play multiple sounds in parallel and move the stereocenter point.
- Simulated 2D positional audio by using accelerometer sensor data.
- Stored and replayed geodata from a live drive so that customers could work on a simulation on the outside of a car.
Mobile and Web Developer
- Developed the company's Android apps in the financial sector with a focus on real-time data and on-device charting using Java. The app was featured in the Play Store twice.
- Developed a custom blogging engine with cascading comments as a REST API in PHP/MySQL, a custom web cache for performance, and a PHP front-end. Also integrated it with the in-house WordPress CMS.
- Wrote and optimized multiple REST APIs in PHP and their corresponding MySQL queries using KCachegrind and other profilers.
- Supported and extended a customer webshop written in Django/Python.
- Maintained multiple customer websites in PHP/MySQL.
University of Koblenz and Landau
- Built a campuswide news broadcast system that sent the news to feature phones via Bluetooth; it was implemented in Java EE on OSGi-embedded devices.
- Developed a back-end service for the campus news network in C++.
- Designed the protocol for bidirectional communication through Bluetooth and running over a GPRS connection so minimal data use and resiliency were required.
- Created a multiscreen ticker-on-TV interface for campus news shown on TV monitors in Python/OpenGL.
- Worked on multiple research papers and proofs-of-concept in the area of AI.
- Extended and maintained a news-clipping service that implemented full-text indexing of news articles running on Java EE.
- Migrated a news clipper from MySQL to a Lucene full-text search engine for a better performance.
- Optimized the clipping engine's performance for scaling up to 10x.
- Worked on the website and database using PHP and MySQL.
- Maintained and managed the Linux servers.
Co-founder | CTO
- Co-founded and incepted a web-based multiplayer game using PHP and MySQL.
- Optimized the game for high concurrency, low-latency server-side rendering using a custom event pipeline.
DevOps | SysAdmin
- Built and maintained Linux servers for an internet service provider with web servers (Apache), databases (MySQL), and mail services (Sendmail/Courier).
- Set up an internet infrastructure and routing using Cisco and Bintec routers (OSPF).
- Installed the dial-in infrastructure (ISDN, GSM).
To run, a simple ./gradlew assembleDebug or opening in Android Studio will be enough.
Om7Sense Energy Management
Android SDK, OSGi, Redux, Chrome, Angular, Django, Flutter
OpenGL ES, HTML5 Canvas, React, REST APIs, Jackson, Google Maps SDK, RxJava 2, Redux-Saga, Node.js, Google Maps, Apache Lucene, OpenGL, jQuery, jQuery UI, Facebook API, Facebook Login, RxJava
Class-based OOP, Concurrent Programming, Mobile Development, Functional Programming, Prototype-based OOP, Testing, Continuous Integration (CI), Agile, Pair Programming
MacOS, Linux, Android, Web, Docker, Embedded Linux, Apache2, Bluetooth LE, Firefox, Eclipse, Java EE, iOS, Firebase, OpenShift
MySQL Server, MariaDB, SQLite, MySQL, PostgreSQL, NoSQL, XML-RPC, Memcached, MongoDB
GitFlow, Reverse Engineering, API Design, Crash Fixing, TCP/IP, Routing, Google Play Store, Embedded Java, Mobile App Development, IT Security, Scraping, Web Scraping, Mobile Security, Interviews, Technical Hiring, WebSockets, Bluetooth, Embedded Systems, Linux Internals, Requirements & Specifications, Android Emulators, OkHttp, API Testing, Google In-app Billing, Geofencing, Obfuscation, Security Analysis, App UI, SVG, Chromecast, Fire TV, Android Wearables, WiFi, Google Ads, Mockups, A/B Testing, UX Testing, Google Sign-in, Machine Learning, Computer Graphics, User Requirements, Networking, IP Routing, Commercetools, Google V8, Artificial Intelligence (AI)
Master's Degree (Diploma) in Computational Visualistics
University of Koblenz and Landau - Koblenz, Germany
Project Manager Basis
Introduction to AI (Artificial Intelligence)
Stanford University via Udacity
LPIC-1: System Administrator
Linux Professional Institute