Founder2019 - PRESENTMIVAR
Technologies: Human-computer Interaction (HCI), Human-machine Interface (HMI), Visual Studio, Requirements Analysis, Requirements & Specifications, Requirements, Haptics, Agile Software Development, Computer Graphics, Business Development, Business to Business (B2B), User Requirements, Project Leadership, R&D, 3D Graphics, Windows Mixed Reality, SteamVR, C#, Git, Unity, Technical Leadership, Project Management, Virtual Reality (VR), Startups
- Designed and developed a walk-through VR escape room experience for VR arcades.
- Expanded customer relationships and found potential business clients.
- Developed an enhanced version of the VR experience where virtual and real environments are synchronized.
- Applied for and received state funding for the company.
- Collaborated with the concept designer and writer on the design and storyline of the VR experience.
- Completed the advisory track of the Y Combinator Startup School (Note: this is not the Y Combinator core program).
- Presented the company at the Gamescom international game conference and the VR Arcade Conference.
Senior Software Engineer2016 - PRESENTFreelance
Technologies: Human-machine Interface (HMI), Human-computer Interaction (HCI), Graphical User Interface (GUI), Windows Mixed Reality, SteamVR, OpenCV, Dlib, UI, Android Development, Profiling, Project Management, Facial Recognition, Computer Vision, Data Annotation, Technical Leadership, Project Leadership, Team Leadership, Agile Software Development, Concurrent Programming, Multithreading, Software Architecture, Software Design, API Development, Software Design Patterns, R&D, NDK, Android NDK, C#, C++, Virtual Reality (VR), Unity, Visual Studio, 3D Graphics, Git, XML, JSON, Requirements & Specifications, User Requirements, Requirements, Requirements Analysis, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning, Data Structures, Algorithms, 2D Graphics, Android Studio, Java, Android
- Played a key role in clients' projects, from scoping requirements to launch, and further developed existing products.
- Developed a VR demonstrator for the IIP-Ecosphere project that involves more than 50 organizations in Germany, including VW, Sennheiser, and universities. The demonstrator will be the face of the project and shown to visitors at exhibitions.
- Assembled a team and led the complete development of a highly optimized, real-time face detection and tracking and age/gender classification system for low-performance devices. This is now the very core technology for the client's business case.
- Collaborated with the client's cross-functional team on the integration of the face analysis system and guided the development of related analytics tools.
- Created a complete pipeline from collecting and annotating training data to creating machine learning models.
- Developed an Android app to easily create floor plans and compute various parameters such as floor area.
Senior Software Engineer2016 - 2019Adpack (IDA GmbH)
Technologies: Android, cURL Command Line Tool, Requirements, Requirements & Specifications, Requirements Analysis, Research Proposals, Concurrent Programming, Multithreading, Network Programming, Data Structures, Algorithms, Agile, Agile Software Development, Software Design Patterns, Software Design, Software Architecture, API Development, Git, Android NDK, NDK, Android Studio, Java, C++, REST, Jira, Confluence
- Developed core software that targets and plays commercials based on the set of people currently looking at the screen and produces reports. It runs on hundreds of Adpack edge devices in places like shops, post offices, and airports.
- Designed and developed a new RESTful API framework for the Adpack edge devices.
- Wrote research proposals to secure state funding for R&D projects.
Lead Software Engineer | Research Associate2013 - 2015Nanyang Technological University
Technologies: MonoDevelop, Research Proposals, Network Programming, Visual Studio, Computer Graphics, Stereoscopic Visualization, Agile Software Development, Requirements & Specifications, User Requirements, Requirements Analysis, Project Management, Technical Leadership, Team Leadership, Project Leadership, Microsoft Kinect, Motion Tracking, Virtual Reality (VR), Oculus Rift, Leap Motion, Motion Capture, R&D, Research, Data Structures, Algorithms, Make, C++, C#, Git, 3D Graphics Engines, DirectX, OpenGL, 3D Graphics, 2D Graphics, Geometry, Shaders, 3D Math, Unity, OGRE
- Collected requirements, designed, and led the development of visualization frameworks for the bowl-shaped, 320-degree Cave Automatic Virtual Environment with five active stereo projectors, allowing researchers to easily extend projects to the CAVE.
- Saved the institute $280,000 by replacing their third-party visualization framework with the one I developed.
- Migrated the ongoing Unity VR projects to the Oculus Rift VR headset and to the glasses-free stereo display with eight views.
- Integrated tracking devices, including Leap Motion, Kinect 2, and marker-based motion capture, into the ongoing projects.
- Conducted user-study research with 16 people about the degree of virtual presence and cost-effectiveness for four displaying devices.
- Interviewed job candidates, performed administrative tasks, assisted during audits, and negotiated support contracts.
- Wrote research proposals and project reports, made presentations, and presented demos to VIPs such as government officials and visitors from big tech companies.
Software Engineer | Ph.D. Researcher2009 - 2015Leibniz University of Hannover, Institute of Man-Machine-Communication
Technologies: Graphical User Interface (GUI), UI, Subversion (SVN), Concurrent Programming, Multithreading, Computational Geometry, Geometry, Visual Studio, Data Structures, Algorithms, 3D Graphics, Computer Graphics, Software Design Patterns, Software Design, Software Architecture, Technical Leadership, Research Proposals, Eclipse IDE, Haptic Feedback, Haptics, Virtual Reality (VR), Stereoscopic Visualization, Human-computer Interaction (HCI), Human-machine Interface (HMI), Native User Interfaces, XML, Volumetric Data, Volume Rendering, Point Clouds, Medical Imaging, Physics, R&D, Research, Java Native Access (JNA), C++, Java 3D, Java
- Designed and developed a VR system with haptic interaction, using 3D volumetric data. It was sponsored by DAAD, the German Academic Exchange Service.
- Visualized medical imaging data using volume rendering and added the "feeling" of virtual objects using force-feedback devices.
- Improved marching cubes and smoothing algorithms, resulting in more than 10x faster graphics rendering of deformations.
- Developed a flexible deformation framework that allowed the use of haptic rendering together with different deformation models and developed deformation models.
- Exhibited the system during CeBIT international computer expos in 2013 and 2015, published research papers, and appeared in a German newspaper.
- Served as a teaching assistant for a course on data structures and algorithms.
- Wrote a research proposal leading to the project being funded by the European Union.
- Supervised the work of undergraduate students and interviewed job applicants.
Software Engineer (Part-time)2008 - 2009SoftDev SPb
Technologies: Graphical User Interface (GUI), UI, R&D, Software Design Patterns, Software Design, Mesh Simplification, Microsoft Foundation Class Library (MFC), Data Structures, Algorithms, Technical Leadership, API Development, Visual Studio, OpenGL, CAD, CAD Development, StarTeam, C++, Geometry, Computational Geometry, 3D Math, 3D Graphics Engines, 2D Graphics, 3D Graphics
- Worked on TurboCAD (v 16.0, 16.1, and 17), a powerful CAD system and AutoCAD's competitor.
- Designed and developed a mesh simplification tool. It's based on the QSlim algorithm and reduces the number of triangles to the specified number while maintaining the best "quality" of the model.
- Developed and improved 3D and 2D CAD-specific tools, including simple extrude, prism, sweep, revolve, Face2Face lofting, bisector, helix, construction lines, and twisted extrude; 3D-polylines clipper by a volume; and hidden line renderer.
- Designed and developed a layout tool that optimizes the layout of details on wooden sheets in order to save wood.
Junior Software Engineer (Part-time)2006 - 2007Driver-Inter, Ltd.
Technologies: UI, Graphical User Interface (GUI), DirectX, 3D Graphics Engines, C++, Computer Graphics, Computational Geometry, Geometry, 2D Graphics, Data Structures, Algorithms, .NET, R&D, Microsoft Foundation Class Library (MFC), CVS, Visual Studio, C#, Surface Flattening, 3D Math, 3D Graphics
- Developed camera models, GUIs, editor's behavior, and other features for a golf simulator.
- Built Samsung MenuTool, an editor for easy and intuitive creation of menus for phones and games.
- Implemented surface flattening algorithms for mapping of a 3D surface to a 2D space.
Researcher (Internship)2006 - 2006St. Petersburg State Polytechnical University, Department of Theoretical Mechanics
Technologies: Research, Visual Studio, C++, Theoretical Mechanics, Physics, DirectX, 3D Graphics, 2D Graphics
- Created and implemented a computer model of the formation of molecules from atoms.
- Visualized the process of the formation of molecules in real time in both 2D and 3D.
- Presented the model at the Institute for Problems in Mechanical Engineering of the Russian Academy of Sciences in Saint Petersburg.