Verified Expert in Design
Matt is a seasoned product designer with over 20 years of experience. He specializes in product strategy, UI/UX, brand systems, succinct data visualizations, intuitive eCommerce flows, and web applications. He has designed on-target and scalable solutions for both startups and established brands. He is detail-oriented and respects the importance of budgeting and deadlines. Matt believes in fostering solid emotional intelligence (EQ) on every project and brings that energy to the team.
Videoshops — Social Videos Made Shoppable
Myro—Responsive eCommerce Website
Locomotion Compression Socks Branding Exploration
- Designed UI/UX for a custom player layer that converted normal videos into a shoppable experience using an overlay. It allowed social creators to seamlessly curate affiliate and dropship products into their videos.
- Built an onboard system that accommodated our varied user base. Creators, brands, retailers, and consumers had their path with specific inputs required to efficiently gain access and establish themselves on our platform and admin.
- Created UI/UX for a custom responsive eCommerce flow from end-to-end that adapted to both affiliate and dropship products. The checkout included credit, debit, Paypal, and Apple Pay options.
- Designed UI/UX for a web platform that made any video, including social posts, shoppable. This platform enabled creators to launch marketplaces for their shoppable curated videos, where they could aggregate their followers across all their social.
- Created UI/UX for a curation tool for creators. It empowered our creators to upload their videos and tag them with curated products. They could set screen-time duration and upsell with a post-launch "You Might Also Like" carousel.
- Developed and animated multiple video demos and sizzle reels that showcased our pre-development product with my team. These demos were used internally to set the stage for future rollouts and within pitch decks for investment opportunities.
- Designed many presentation decks, most of which were for investment and partnership initiatives. The decks were built out in Keynote, PowerPoint, Google Slides, and PDF. These decks helped lock several rounds of funding.
- Played a pivotal role in raising $18 million with a team of investors consisting of former Twitter CEO Dick Costolo, DAZN Group chairman Kevin Mayer, Honey president Joanne Bradford, Greycroft's Dana Settle, and Rodriguez and Marc Lore.
- Built a front-end team from the ground up, consisting of art directors, senior UX designers, junior, mid, and senior graphic designers, senior editors, mid and senior motion GRX designers, social media managers, copywriters, and React developers.
- Created and managed partnerships with outside agencies to assist our rapid growth needs. These agencies were varied and helped at various times with marketing, social, presentation videos, talent management, and platform design.
- Designed many turn-key landing page templates for franchise owners to use independently.
- Restructured the workflow for a large group of franchise pest control companies to onboard their websites to a new scalable platform without any involvement or interruption to their businesses.
- Led design pitches onsite with current and potential clients.
- Created an eCommerce website subscription model for franchise owners.
The Princeton Review
- Directed a team of 30 across three departments—design, marketing, and development to create a platform, including onboarding flows, eCommerce solutions, native mobile apps, discovery and marketing campaigns, rebranding, and visual language systems.
- Improved student onboard conversion by 15% in grades 8-12.
- Increased sales by 8% within two quarters by using a strict method of A/B testing to make minute incremental updates with user tests to prove the concepts.
- Facilitated buyout merger with South Korean edtech firm ST Unitas. Worked closely with the ST Unitas team to familiarize them with the platform and efficiently incorporate their members into the team.
- Played an integral role in acquiring media and Internet giant, InterActiveCorp (IAC), enabling Tutor.com to expand its user reach from elementary to graduate school.
- Designed an internal management portal that organized and managed over 3,000 tutors and 6,000 tutoring sessions per night.
- Created a live-cast web application that acted as a digital chalkboard for tutors, including video interaction, commenting, grading, student management, and a live video editor.
Co-founder | Senior Art Director
- Co-founded and designed an opinion-based app with user engagement at an average of over five hours per month. As a point of comparison, Pinterest's average user engagement has been reported at 98 minutes per month.
- Created a shoppable feature built on an interest-based graph generated from over one billion opinions shared by over 1.2 million registered users.
- Gamified the app by including a leaderboard and merit system for positive opinion feedback.
- Partnered with the leading global youth insights and intelligence platform, YPulse, to more closely connect and craft the app for Generation Z and millennial users.
- Assisted in raising 5.7 million in total funding for our rounds.
- Scripted and directed a high-production commercial for the app.
Kurani Interactive Agency
- Led a small design team that developed many websites, email campaigns, digital advertisements, animations, web applications, and brand language systems.
- Designed a new brand and eCommerce site for health and nutrition giant Universal Nutrition. The site and new brand increased conversion by 15% on internet sales.
- Restructured the client-agency deliverables to a more agile approach built on in-depth discovery and iterating on those learnings.
- Pitched actively and presented to clients and prospects.
Senior Graphic Designer
The Creative Group
- Created many digital ads and assets for the data management software company called Commvault.
- Designed presentation decks and deck templates for the digital agency Sawtooth.
- Created animated presentations and physical product mockups for the food and beverage company Firmenich. Clients included Coca-Cola and Beefeater Gin.
Senior Graphic Designer
- Designed innovative eCommerce and online marketing solutions for catalog retailers.
- Ideated and pitched solutions for internet companies facing the dot-com crash; this led to Netcivics pivoting focus and assisting it to stay afloat beyond its peers during that time.
- Designed the entire brand language system and website for Netcivics.
- Developed animated Macromedia Flash websites, presentations, advertisements, and proof-of-concept mockups.
- Designed an entire site for the balances and scales manufacturer Ohaus.
- Redesigned the eCommerce site for the women's clothing and apparel retailer Chicos.
- Processed jobs, developed film, and monitored the two Heidelberg presses at night.
- Ensured that the proper format, appearance, and layout of text and images were set before the entire print run.
- Made color, text, and digital image corrections as needed.
- Developed photographic film for Heidelberg press plates.
Certificate of Completion of a Year-long Course in Computer Science
Brick Computer Science Institute
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring