Verified Expert in Design
Phil is a senior product design leader with a decade of experience specializing in UI, UX, product, responsive web design, and brand identity design. He's had the privilege of designing for Fortune 500 Companies, startups, multi-billion dollar companies, and innovative organizations like Uber, FedEx, Harvard, Vistaprint, and more. Phil works well under time constraints, has exceptionally high craftsmanship, and communicates clearly to meet objectives and exceed expectations.
Product Designer for Uber's Driver App
Product Designer for Drift, Car Sharing App
Product Design Lead
- Led the exploration, design, refinement, and testing of a new onboarding and new user creation flow for BetterUp's consumer app. Increased 8% sign-up completion for new members on the platform.
- Spearheaded the design exploration and vision exercise for a new suite of mental health products currently in development. Worked cross-functionally across design and engineering. Aligned business goals, user needs, success metrics, and priorities.
- Led as a core designer for creating a new user education flow to prepare new members, educate them on key product features, and help them successfully navigate the app and next steps. Led to an 18% increase in new user satisfaction for the project.
Senior Product Designer
- Led the design effort to envision, explore, refine, and ship product features for Pinger's core telecommunications app. Resulted in 30,000 five-star reviews and 11 million app store downloads.
- Orchestrated the design initiative across product management, design, and engineering. Envisioned a new telecommunications product specifically for Android. Released the new product and led to 10,000 app downloads within the first three months.
- Designed and refined several telecommunications product features. Included auto-reply, spam detection, number porting, web texting, and multiple phone numbers. Used by more than five million users worldwide.
- Created design documentation and guidelines for the company's overall Android versus iOS design strategy. Outlined the difference in design approaches and components across Android and iOS. Led to greater internal alignment.
Senior Product Designer
- Collaborated cross-functionally to redesign Uber's driver app experience from the ground up. Focused primarily on new user onboarding and increasing new driver supply. Resulted in a 12% increase in new drivers.
- Led the design of the educational experience within Uber's "New Driver" app. Aligned the team on education needs, explored options with stakeholders, and worked closely with engineering to ship product solutions, Increased user satisfaction by 22%.
- Designed a system for tooltips, in-app guidance, and new user checklists to help facilitate a guided and simple user experience for Uber's 3 million drivers. Implemented designs increased the number of new drivers completing ten trips by 6%.
Product Designer/ UI & UX Design Researcher
- Hired to envision what the future of children's education and technology could look like. Led several workshops that helped internal teams brainstorm needs, solutions, and proposals. Maintained a 92% satisfaction rate.
- Explored, designed, and shipped several product features to increase engagement and accuracy between educators and students. Included features such as check-ins, grading systems, and feedback loops. Led to a 3.6% increase in user engagement.
- Designed several key web pages on AltSchool's core marketing website. Created solutions that helped explain the company's approach, philosophy, process, sign-up flows, and more. Managed design updates that resulted in a 6% increase in inquiries.
Senior Product and Brand Designer
- Led the design for a TEDx conference which resulted in the event being the largest TEDx conference ever hosted worldwide with 3,000 attendees. Led the entire event's digital experience, brand, marketing, social media, and event design.
- Redesigned the interface and user experience flow for FedEx's international online shipping experience. Managed the design of the shipping flow and the status of active shipments. Resulted in a 43% increase in user satisfaction.
- Led the design of a client management tool for Northern Trust, one of Chicago's largest financial institutions. Designed tools that allowed clients to easily communicate and send documents, which resulted in 22% in saved time between parties.
Bachelor's Degree in Graphic Design
Massachusetts College of Art and Design - Boston, MA
Bachelor's Degree in Business
University of New Hampshire - Durham, NH