Owner and Creative Director
2019 - PRESENT
Happy Awesome Studios
- Designed a website for students and parents to receive financial aid info, grants, and scholarships. Did UI design, Figma prototyping, and UX wireframes.
- Edited over a year's worth of vlogs for a major trade-show company. Also created digitally animated signage for Las Vegas events.
- Produced and edited over 100 videos, including entertainment, corporate finance, marketing, travel, and product videos.
- Produced dozens of social media campaigns using motion graphics, text, and video.
- Designed promotional materials, branding collateral, and device UI, using Figma for a medical hardware company. Also designed and built their website using Webflow.
- Finished the UX design for a national seminar provider who needed to upgrade their marketing and eCommerce websites.
- Developed character illustrations and branded motion graphics and visual designs for company website and client projects.
Technologies: Figma, After Effects CC, Adobe Premiere Pro, Photoshop CC, Illustrator CC, Webflow, UX Design
2017 - 2021
- Taught User Experience Design Immersive course to various cohorts of about 30 students each time. The classes lasted eight hours, five days a week, for three months.
- Acted as a subject-matter expert (SME) for graduating students who were almost ready to bring their portfolio out into the world.
- Conducted teaching part-time classes in UX design synchronously via a remote classroom.
- Taught a class on digital product management, basically how to turn an idea into a product.
- Led moderated panel discussions on UX and visual design topics for live and remote audiences.
Technologies: Figma, Sketch, Adobe Experience Design (XD), Adobe CC, InVision
Digital Media Director
2017 - 2019
- Quadrupled audience size in a year by creating and marketing unique content, including video, news, and events.
- Established and managed a team of designers and videographers, creating websites, apps, and videos.
- Headed social media projects. Increased subscription for our content on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Launched an eCommerce offering, established digital advertising practices, and improved SEO and customer conversions.
- Produced over 100 short documentaries for online and OTT distribution.
Technologies: WordPress, Adobe CC, Adobe Premiere Pro, UX Design, Motion Graphics, Figma, Sketch
Director of User Experience
2015 - 2017
Sinclair Broadcast Group
- Directed designers and developers to create next-generation TV and media experiences for the web, mobile, OTT, and VR.
- Designed, architected, built, and released numerous products, including our own content and asset management system for media and broadcast companies. Oversaw all UX, product design, and visual design activities.
- Increased efficiencies by onboarding all 163 TV stations to the UX director's custom platform I designed.
- Launched and managed the corporate website while interfacing with executives from each of our markets.
- Produced web designs and completed website for financial sector division of Sinclair. We launched a website for this financial investment group.
Technologies: Illustrator CC, Photoshop CC, Sketch, Figma, Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects CC, Motion Graphics, Graphic Design, Over-the-top Content (OTT), Product Management, Product Design
2009 - 2016
- Managed internal design and UX teams for A.R.O., a Paul Allen and Vulcan Ventures mobile software company. I also supervised external freelancers and agencies.
- Headed product planning and UI/UX initiatives with devs, QA, marketing, and ownership.
- Produced, directed, and edited video and animation projects.
- Created and delivered presentations to executives, customers, and industry events.
- Designed the UI and UX and launched iOS, Android, Windows 8, Windows Phone, and Kindle apps.
- Produced documentation and presentation materials for the venture capital division. We supported the investor team, fintech group, and other core teams involved in mergers and acquisitions.
- Led branding, illustration, and video projects.
Technologies: Adobe After Effects, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Premiere Pro, InVision, Balsamiq, After Effects CC
2007 - 2009
Aquent Digital Studios
- Developed SOWs, project plans, and resource allocation plans for Aquent, one of the largest staffing and project companies in the world.
- Oversaw teams of designers, videographers, and editorial staff completing dozens of projects per year.
- Coordinated projects with numerous global offices.
- Trained staff from various offices in process, systems, and design software.
- Delivered for clients such as Microsoft, Target, Capital One, T-Mobile, and Procter & Gamble.
Technologies: Adobe After Effects, Adobe CC, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Illustrator, Sketch
President and Founding Partner
2001 - 2007
- Founded and led this 35-person design and development agency. Landed millions of dollars worth of work via business-development efforts, proposal writing, and client presentations.
- Mentored teams and cultivated company culture. Launched the small London office.
- Streamlined production of websites, CDs, multimedia, and printed materials.
- Led information architecture engagements and UX with corporate clients.
- Worked with clients such as Microsoft, AOL, Safeco, T-Mobile, Washington State, and Boeing.
- Communicated with clients to establish branding, illustration approach, infographics, and character designs.
Technologies: InVision, Sketch, Adobe CC, Photoshop CC, Illustrator CC, InDesign CC
Owner | Creative Director
1996 - 2000
The Mountain Zone
- Established the business model and strategy and grew the company to over 100 employees.
- Developed the programming strategy to achieve an award-winning content, community, and commerce mix. Headed internal initiatives to build a CMS, ad engine, and eCommerce tools.
- Shot video, edited photos, wrote articles, and carried gear up mountains. Orchestrated live satellite-to-web coverage of multiple Mt. Everest expeditions, blending sponsorship, editorial, and commerce with social media.
- Pioneered sports coverage for the web before the age of broadband. Partnered with ESPN, Vans Shoes, and Warren Miller Entertainment to produce co-branded, syndicated entertainment. Eventually sold to a public company.
- Edited videos using Adobe Premiere and other early video tools.
Technologies: Adobe After Effects, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Web UX