Verified Expert in Product Management
Alex has 15 years of experience building teams, products, and ventures from the ground up, ranging from a computer vision startup to corporate ventures and greenfield software projects. He's passionate about building and motivating teams and has done so in sports tech, mobile app development, and, most recently, healthcare and pharma.
- Worked as a fractional CTO for an online employment marketplace, informing the founder's approach to technology sourcing, platform strategy, and product development process.
- Served as a product management consultant, helping the founder achieve greater alignment between strategic goals and operational plans, improving processes to deliver product value predictably and at a greater velocity, and leveling up the product team.
- Consulted a startup's founding team to establish and document a clear product vision and value proposition to accompany fundraising efforts.
Product Consultant Lead
Pfizer - Manufacturing Operations Solutions
- Led the implementation of various digital manufacturing intelligence initiatives as PO/BA.
- Served as a program manager for a cross-functional compliance initiative.
- Worked with the PM office to identify opportunities to increase the scrum team's velocity.
AI Product Manager
Undisclosed Healthcare Provider
- Collaborated with the head of artificial intelligence to map out and prioritize business cases.
- Worked across disciplines to design a partial data schema for psychographic member profiles.
- Mocked up UX for an app that promoted healthcare interventions based on patients' psychographic attributes.
- Re-organized digital product team and its initiatives to better align with strategic goals and worked with senior management to establish new cross-functional workstreams.
- Initiated and led process improvement across disciplines to improve cadence and quality of software deliverables.
- Owned a major product pillar and implemented an agile delivery plan to accommodate shifting priorities and external dependencies.
- Delivered compliant product increments across multiple regulatory jurisdictions.
Program Manager, Product Manager
- Established a cross-functional development team to translate a research program into a production-ready web application as a greenfield project.
- Managed the delivery of a priority program, aligning diverse internal stakeholders with an agile software development initiative.
- Served as a product owner for compliance, legal matters, and privacy.
- Successfully created a legal spin-out of a product team and IP from a parent company.
- Built and motivated a team of 12 from the product, operations, and marketing fields.
- Established user-centered practices for the product as a popular HR tool with 4.9/5 stars.
- Crafted a compelling product and financial narrative during fundraising and secured £1.5 million.
- Advised management on innovation and lean practices, driving alignment amongst management team.
- Built and managed a dedicated Lean product team that quickly and cost-effectively validated product opportunities.
- Initiated and managed an Agile computer vision R&D project with internal and external stakeholders.
- Incubated and spun-out an IP and team from an agency into a new venture.
- Honed Agile PDM skills at the agency that developed native apps for Skyscanner and Fanduel.
- Led deep MVP-driven explorations of the on-demand workforce opportunity space.
Co-founder | Manager Director
- Drove the successful productization and commercialization of R&D work.
- Built and managed an external sales/development partnership that ultimately resulted in an acquisition.
- Hired and built a team of six, including four engineers and a sales executive.
- Raised grant and equity funding of ~$750,000 for R&D and product development work.
Claims Data Insights App
Created and drove a team to productize an AI prototype that extracted and visualized novel insights from insurance claims.
In addition to navigating organizational challenges, the productization efforts involved understanding and challenging the underlying data science, solving non-intuitive data visualization UX challenges, and adhering to rigorous compliance requirements.
Led the product team that launched Yavi—a 4.9-star mobile-first HR offering—used across many of the largest intl retailers.
Because Yavi was adopted by retail workers from the bottom up, we were able to build an organic sales pipeline into a variety of enterprise accounts.
Alex assembled the team—both new hires and from the parent company—with careful attention to the cultural and motivational challenges arising from a spinout. This included stakeholder management within the parent organization, establishing communication frameworks that kept everyone aligned on vision and progress.
K2 Panoramic Video
A proprietary real-time Ultra HD video system that was launched into two of North America's biggest sports leagues.
In addition to real-time video processing, we designed and developed our own electronic systems to administer in-stadium camera installations.
The computer vision research was conducted by an in-house team and deployed in a CUDA environment.
I also managed a sales and development partnership across time zones that led to an acquisition in 2012.
Designed and developed a proprietary straight-to-customer customized-book offering which was launched with rave reviews.
In the consumer-facing web application, particular attention was placed on the UX challenges of getting the user through the entire pipeline, particularly given the 75%+ mobile users. The project also included the back-end management of "processing jobs" that were handled by the staff.
I also implemented project management practices to overcome challenges in managing a team across multiple time zones.
Our commercial success was recognized with strong referral rates and high average basket sizes.
Bachelor of Science Degree with Honors in Computer Science and Management Science
University of Edinburgh - Edinburgh, Scotland