Basak Akcam Trotter
Verified Expert in Product Management
Basak is a customer-focused product manager and product management director with 16 years of experience. She led large-scale transformation projects in various sectors, including telecommunications, finance, retail, government, and real estate in regions like Turkey, the Middle East, South Africa, and the US. With a stellar track record of success in devising and implementing highly effective digital solutions, Basak is passionate about data and analytics-driven methodologies.
Co-founder and Partner
- Worked with the national football league in designing and implementing measures to bring more fans into stadiums and expand the football community in the UAE, increasing visitor engagement and spending.
- Conducted quantitative and qualitative analysis to understand football fans' behavior and developed segmentation models to define the type of interventions required for each segment.
- Implemented behavioral data science tools and use cases for the government in fields like electricity savings, environment, health and lifestyle, and more.
Senior Manager | Applied Intelligence
- Designed KPIs and co-created and implemented dashboards for a government client by collecting data from around 30 entities. I implemented KPIs in key industries, employing more advanced models using machine learning algorithms.
- Led digital transformation blueprint projects to uplift digital products' uptake and increase digital care and sales. I implemented ML models using big data to build the foundations of the strategy works.
- Devised a robust corporate data strategy and an analytics CoE solution for a leading telco client by assessing the current company structure, running detailed capabilities assessment work, and coordinating results with key SVP-level stakeholders.
Customer Experience and Analytics Lead
- Developed customer journey maps and a multi-channel transformational program. Defined numerous digital transformation initiatives to improve customer experience and bottom-line revenues.
- Implemented the voice of customer, a red alert/close loop feedback system across the touchpoints and key customer journeys. Designed results reporting, identified key actions for improvement points, and orchestrated with different stakeholders.
- Identified current and future data requirements and created a holistic data strategy to support the programs’ initiatives. Led master data management (MDM) implementation, data analytics, and insight development workstreams.
Human Capital and Operations Director
Peppers and Rogers Group
- Increased profitability by implementing a staffing system to monitor changeability and streamline talent acquisition efforts.
- Revamped consultants' career and competency architecture. Implemented a new reward and recognition system based on the new architecture.
- Moved entire finance, HR, and operations functions to a new enterprise system. Managed business requirements and customization efforts with the back-office functions and the service provider.
Peppers and Rogers Group
- Managed data strategy and the customer insights team in developing a conglomerate-wide synergy project that aimed to create one view of conglomerates' customers across the member companies operating in different industries.
- Implemented multiple use cases, including customer segmentation, churn, retention, and win-back models across different verticals. Designed and implemented tactical campaigns with up to 20-30% ROI.
- Designed a customer-centric strategy, redesigned sales and service models, and re-engineered customer-facing processes for a free zone operator. I also calculated workforce requirements and implemented measurement frameworks.
- Carried the lead insights role in a three-year customer-centric transformation project for a leading bank. Led the team responsible for the analytics use case development and deployment of use cases.
- Led the team responsible for reengineering the branch sales processes, redesigning organizational structure, and implementing balanced scorecards for the key roles for a leading bank in Turkey.
- Reengineered key sales and service processes for a real estate developer. I also designed change management programs to create a customer-first culture within the organization.
Mobile App Design Strategy
Designed a digital channel strategy blueprint fueled by customer insight and analytics using ML-based algorithms.
As part of the current state assessment, I led the team in designing and implementing a digital behavior-based segmentation model. The interaction behavior across channels was analyzed and complemented by app portfolio and experience diagnosis.
Target portfolio and experience are designed based on findings and strategic direction. Technology architecture for the ideal state design and operating model were redesigned, along with an implementation roadmap.
Customer Sales and Service App
Increased NPS from -17 to +35 and decreased detractors from 43% to 15%. Sales numbers increased by 31% and 85% in Q3 and Q4, respectively, compared to the same period of the previous year.
I re-engineered processes across the customer lifecycle, including pre-sales and sales. I also led integration efforts to achieve an omnichannel experience, introducing two new channels: A mobile app and a customer portal. I moved 20 essential customer support services to online with a focus on business collections and customer needs. Finally, I developed the MVP and product increments and led the implementation of the entire portfolio.
Web and Mobile-based Dashboard Implementation
Collected and integrated data of more than 30 entities in a central database. Introduced data science notion as a part of the product development and design.
I led the analytics product development. I introduced the notion of data science and predictive modeling as a part of product design and development. My team implemented advanced models for community development, education, and health functions.
Customer Analytics Engine
Consolidated and unified data from 12 group companies: 60 million customers, 10 million service, and 150 million sales transactions. Achieved significant impact on campaign ROIs, following an agile methodology.
The objective was to increase the sales revenue by cross-selling and up-selling to customers of different companies and retaining customers through customer satisfaction and a customer-oriented approach. To create the desired synergy between group companies by targeted marketing campaigns and other marketing initiatives, the company needed to know its customers better.
Data from 12 group companies have been consolidated and unified—57 million customers, 10 million services, and 150 million FMCG transactions.
The team performed feature engineering and data transformations, calculating the value score based on the selected features. Macro (value and potential based) and micro (behavior and lifestyle-based) segment scores have been calculated using unsupervised techniques. Lost value was calculated based on each individuals' shopping habits, retention, and churn scores. The team also automated the model's development and deployed it to the campaign management system.
Digital Transformation for a Leading Bank
Redefined operational segments of the bank. Designed and implemented customer analytics use cases. Designed complementing customer value propositions and investment plans. Redesigned multi-channel sales processes based on insights.
I redefined retail and commercial banking operational segmentation models and implemented multiple customer analytics use cases on operational segments, including value, needs, and behavioral segmentation models. I also supported the deployment of models for campaign management efforts.
Finally, I led a large-scale team to accomplish organizational restructuring, business process re-engineering, performance management, and balanced scorecard design.
Creating a Customer Centric Culture in a Healthcare Free Zone
Re-designed customer-facing processes to facilitate commitment continuity of ongoing service improvements. Designed and implemented cultural change programs to create an organizational customer advocate culture to make customers the #1 priority.
In line with that vision, the project had two goals:
• Ensure that the free zone operator provides an exceptional experience to healthcare providers and industry professionals to generate word of mouth.
• Ensure that healthcare providers offer an exceptional experience to patients and families with support and guidance from the free zone to generate referrals for more.
Bachelor's Degree in Management Information Systems
Bogazici University - Istanbul, Turkey