Himanshu is an independent consultant in product management, strategy, market research, and financial analysis—working for clients across the world. Along with his past work consistently receiving accolades, he also has an MBA from ESADE (a top 20 business school) and, for the past several years, has worked in various multinational corporations primarily in operations, product design, and project management.
ExpertiseAnalyticsBusinessCompetitor Analysis & ProfilingDigital Product DesignFinancial ModelingProduct ManagementUser JourneysUser Stories
Product Manager | Management Consultant
- Worked on independent projects related to product management and related areas such as market research, product research, analytics, and financial analysis.
- Worked for clients and companies of different sizes from startups to Fortune 500 firms that were spread across various industries.
- Managed international remote teams made up of designers and developers.
- Built wireframes for clients, designers, and developers.
- Vetted and finalized software development vendors.
- Conceptualized different ways in which a service or business process could be digitized.
- Researched similar products in the market.
- Estimated the number of customers expected for new products based on web traffic and conversion rates for similar products.
- Prioritized features and wrote detailed specifications/epics and user stories/feature descriptions.
- Constructed pricing models and financial trackers.
- Developed a business process for a new digital service.
- Built and implemented user surveys.
- Developed dashboards using different types of software.
Product Designer | Product Manager
- Acted as a product designer and product manager for five years on a physical product called Transformers. Held extremely high responsibility with each project worth $2 million to $15 million.
- Regularly interacted with industrial clients to understand requirements, discuss technical aspects, and obtain feedback on product drawings.
- Completed technical designs of 25+ Transformer projects using design and analysis software.
- Managed teams of 3-5 designers for various projects.
- Coordinated with other functions such as procurement, manufacturing, quality during product manufacturing to ensure timely completion and the quality of the product.
- Coordinated with service function during product installation to support product installation and get product feedback.
- Led a team of three experts to develop an innovative product—the first “Boltless Frame Transformer”—for Crompton Greaves. This product opened doors to potential new market segment worth US$ 30 million for the company.
- Reduced the design lead time by 30% by initiating a project on automation of a part of the design process.
- Led a team to innovate the company’s product offering for a $40 million project for an American utility—resulting in a sleek product and a reduction of emergency response time by 35% during transportation.
- Filed one patent application and two design registration applications related to product design.
- Earned Six Sigma Green Belt Certification.
General Electric — Grid Solutions
- Oversaw and was responsible for the in-house quality and export quality in the manufacturing plant.
- Proactively developed a dashboard for functional data analytics called “Quality Performance Measurement System” that gave a consistent view of quality, supply chain operations, and financials by using over 30 metrics such as rejection rate, vendor rankings, cost of poor quality, detection funnel, and more.
- Initiated and implemented a cross-functional process of handling parts rejected on account of poor quality, resulting in a 56.3% drop in the rejection rate.
- Implemented a drawing record maintenance system for the instant retrieval of drawings during shop floor emergencies.
- Researched and finalized inspection equipment to be purchased.
- Liaised with material testing laboratories for raw material testing.
Digitization of a Professional Services Firm
Led the design and development of the first iteration of 3 apps and completed detailed prototypes of the next iteration.
I worked in the capacity of a product manager, helping them decide whether the digital applications should be developed after studying the internal and external processes of the firm. I concluded that the features should be developed in collaboration with the senior management of the firm.
I also acted as the project manager during the design and development phase, managing a total of five remote international teams of designers and/or developers.
I completed the MVPs of three different applications, geared towards different kinds of customers and partners of the firm. Then, I also completed detailed prototypes of the next iterations of the two apps, keeping an especially strong focus on design and user interface.
This was a long project spanning more than 18 months but with breaks in between.
Feedback Analysis of Online Reviews
Analyzed product reviews in detail to identify and quantify key themes and important takeaways.
I analyzed several user feedback sets for this company and provided insights about the user experience—focusing on how it could be improved. The analysis included sentiment analysis, historical analysis, word clouds, and so on.
Consumer App Consulting
Served as a product management consultant for a consumer-facing iOS app.
I advised them on the metrics to track in the initial phase and in the later stages. Based on the company’s objectives, I also developed a product roadmap for them. I also recommended marketing activities, prepared a high-level feature prioritization, scanned user feedback of other similar apps, and identified insights around monetization based on market research.
Reporting System for a Healthcare Clinic
Developed a reporting and visualization system for a plastic surgeon's clinic.
The visualization system was developed for the founder and individual employees of the clinic.
Ad Spot Analysis
Developed the insightful analytics for a digital video agency.
The system connected to Big Query, Google Sheets, and Google Analytics in the back end. Information related to new advertisements automatically showed up in the Tableau-based online system. The charts had enough filters and other interactive elements to visualize the information effectively in different ways. Datasets were joined as well as blended to achieve different objectives.
Strategy for an HR Product | Applicant Tracking System
Researched and provided product recommendations for a new product to be developed.
I researched the ATS market, compared the features of selected ATS, and provided product recommendations to them.
Product Economics for a Startup
Researched and built financial models for each service being offered by this startup.
I researched the legal services space by looking at similar service providers and estimating online traffic, conversion rates, and product economics for this startup.
eCommerce Platform Prototype
Developed a prototype for an eCommerce platform.
Sales Funnel Dashboard for a CEO
Developed a sales and marketing dashboard for a European professional services firm.
The dashboard was first made in Google Sheets and was fully automated from data retrieval to visualizations update to sending emails to the CEO, using different cloud-based software. The same dashboard was much later developed in Tableau.
Researching Health and Nutrition Apps
Conducted competitive research on different healthcare apps having a nutrition component in them.
The research covered areas such as the features of the apps, the popularity of the apps and the company behind the app.
We assessed a wide range of apps for the project—some focused on food logging, some on photo journaling, some on fitness, some made by healthcare providers, others by app developers, some by wearable manufacturers, and others by digital startups.
UX and Competitive Research for Mobile and Web Apps
Conducted competitive research for a Seattle-based Fortune 500 firm.
The research included looking at the product features, product business model, product design and usability, product performance, and company details. The deliverables were in the form of Airtable and a professional slide deck.
Edtech Pricing Model
Developed a pricing model for a company in the education technology space.
Technology Hiring Insights | Data Visualization
Identified hiring insights in the technology space.
A number of hiring insights, both at the firm level and at the industry level were identified based on this analysis. Most of the insights were also visualized using visualization software such as Tableau and Power BI. This project was for a Canadian marketing firm whose CEO is also a public speaker.
Estimating Market Size for a Food Tech Startup
Performed a market sizing analysis, helping the London-based firm to receive £1.1 million from two investment funds.
3PL Competitive Research | eCommerce
Conducted competitive research in the third-party logistics space.
Sales and Inventory Tracker | eCommerce, Apparel, Fashion | Manufacturing
Developed a spreadsheet-based sales and inventory tracking system for an eCommerce startup.
The back end consisted of sales data from Shopify and an inventory update tab.
Assessing the Impact of Automation
Quantified the impact of a particular type of automation on several industries.
eCommerce Product Research
Advised a US-based entrepreneur on attractive product categories for the eCommerce business.
The process maps bought forth several operational issues that had not been thought of prior to undertaking the exercise.
Researched the fintech space for a technology consulting firm.
In this project, I researched the US fintech space in-depth—covering areas such as market size, different segments, geographical differences, investment scenario, thought leaders, leading players, engineer demand, and more. This not only involved research but also making estimations based on researching and analyzing the data.
Business Case for a Sugar Factory
Prepared a business case for restarting a closed sugar factory
First, a financial model for restarting the factory was built and the economics understood. The final part involved preparing a presentation incorporating key data from the financial model. The presentation also summarized the technical, market, operational and social feasibility of the factory restart plan.
This was a very good learning experience for me as this was an industry I was totally unfamiliar with. I had to understand it in-depth to be able to do this project.
Financial Model for a Mobile Accessories Startup
Prepared the financial model, slide deck and product road-map for presenting to the management committee
I prepared an in-depth financial model for this company, after understanding their products, business model and the requirements. Along with this, I also researched and prepared a slide deck, containing the market potential, business case, product roadmap and marketing tactics
Student Club Market Size
Estimated the market size and growth rates for student clubs in the United States.
In this, I estimated the market size of student clubs both at the undergraduate level and the graduate level. Along with market size, we also estimated historical growth rates.
I used multiple bottom-up approaches to size the market and used a "football field" approach to determine the final market size. All of the entire research and estimation work was converted to an investor-ready slide deck format. The slide deck also provided statistical backing for the sampling method used for the market size estimation.
Dashboard for a Law Firm
Developed a business dashboard for a Chicago-based law firm
The dashboard was fully automated and connected to multiple software in the back end: Google Sheets, Xero, Lawmatics, Clio, Zapier, and Google Analytics. The dashboard updated daily and sent weekly PDF snapshot emails to the CEO and top executives. We also prepared concise documentation of the dashboard.
Connected Car Research
Researched the globally connected car space.
Financial Analysis of a Large Telecom Company
A financial assessment of the dividend paying ability of a leading Thai telecom company
The mutual fund wanted to know whether the high dividend payout of the telecom company was sustainable or not. I assessed and prepared a report about the same. At a high level, the assessment involved looking at the telecom market dynamics, assessing the strengths of the company and analyzing the financials of the company.
Fundraising Strategy for an Autism Therapy Provider
Developed a Social Return on Investment (ROI) model
Solar Energy in Europe
Analyzed the solar energy market in Europe for a London based family office
Financial Analysis of an Energy M&A
Performed DCF valuation of the proposed merger between Oil & Gas majors - Baker Hughes and Schlumberger
Global Hybrid Renewables Research
Delivered high quality research related to global renewables and power sector
The research involved several aspects related to the global renewable energy scenario, such as:
1. The grid system preparedness to handle fluctuating inputs to the grid
2. Global renewable energy storage capacities
3. Activities of large corporations in the renewable energy space
4. Volatility in electricity pricing
5. Regulatory policies and structures
Master's Degree in Business Administration (MBA)
ESADE - Barcelona, Spain
Exchange Semester During MBA in during MBA
National University of Singapore - Singapore
Bachelor of Engineering Degree in Mechanical Engineering
VJTI, Mumbai University - Mumbai, India
Digital Marketing Strategy
Specialization in Software Product Management
University of Alberta & Coursera
Become a Product Manager
Leadership Training for Managers
Dale Carnegie Training
Finance Lab Certificate
ESADE Business & Law School