José Miguel Santos
Verified Expert in Product Management
José is a product manager with more than five years of experience in eCommerce marketplaces across large tech companies and hyper-growth startups. He holds an MBA and a Master of Science degree in computer science with proven experience in management consulting at McKinsey and product management at Google and DoorDash. José has worked with companies across North America, Europe, and Africa.
Head of Product
- Increased the size of the Product team by three times. I hired and mentored more than ten people that joined the team.
- Worked directly with CEO to translate his vision into the product roadmap.
- Launched new business lines and products, including Prevention Program.
- Led the creation and launch of a new product, DoorDash Storefront, a white-label online ordering platform provided by DoorDash. Helped create and grow the engineering team from one engineer to 15.
- Launched self-service signup and onboarding to DoorDash Storefront (create your store in <2 minutes), which powered double-digit growth of merchant signups and was responsible for 50% of the overall volume.
- Led the fulfillment product for DoorDash Drive, created a new pricing model for delivery drivers for grocery that reduced costs by double-digit percent, and launched improvements to the assignment algorithm that reduced delivery time by one minute.
- Built an analytics foundation and suite of tools for the category management team to understand assortment gaps based on customer demand, do merchant prospecting, and analyze low converting products.
- Started and led focus effort on transactions product data quality, a big cross-functional effort that defined the data quality standards for a transactional experience in Google Shopping, focusing on improving add to cart conversions.
- Launched a new logistics optimization capability that improved customer experience on thousands of orders and prevented millions of dollars in lost sales.
McKinsey & Company
- Transformed the planning department of one of the biggest contact center companies in South America that led to an increase of 100% in call center worker productivity.
- Developed analytical model and marketing for a retention campaign of a major African telecom (+4% revenue).
- Led engineering team on procurement optimization project of a top European power transmission operator that found savings of 16% of the planned constructions investments of the following three years.
Launched DoorDash Storefront as the product lead, a white-label online ordering platform provided by DoorDash (0->1 product), and grew it to capture thousands of merchants and millions of dollars in GMV within one year.
I built the product from scratch, starting with one engineer to build a prototype, proving the product-market fit, and growing to a team of 15 engineers with a full launch product with a self signup flow.
As the product lead in this early stage product, I spent a lot of time talking with prospective restaurants to understand their needs, identify our first go-to-market segment, and determine the minimum set of features to have a valid product.
Took the product from an initial set of five pilot merchants to thousands of merchants and generating millions of dollars in yearly sales for restaurants after one year.
Marketplace Strategy for a Low-code Developer Marketplace
Led engagement on defining a developer marketplace go-to-market strategy for one of the largest low-code players in the world.
I conducted customer interviews, competitor research, and a couple of workshops with the team to develop the strategy. Deliverables included a product roadmap for the next year, a launch announcement, and a summary of the main insights that we collected from the engagement.
Marketplace Dynamics Product for Google Shopping
Built analytics foundation and suite of tools for the category management team to understand assortment gaps based on customer demand, do merchant prospecting, and analyze low converting products.
I developed the MVP requirements and took the product to have 100+ internal weekly active users.
Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Business Administration
Columbia University, Business School - New York City, NY, USA
Master's Degree in Computer Science
University of Porto - Faculty of Engineering - Porto, Portugal