Verified Expert in Engineering
Dan is a seasoned software engineer with more than two decades of industry experience and almost three decades of total experience spanning numerous devices, platforms, and technologies. He specializes in Windows desktop applications, full-stack web development, cloud infrastructure, mobile devices, and much more. He's comfortable running development teams large or small and has worked for years in service-oriented businesses.
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Node.js, LAMP, iOS, Android, Windows
The most amazing...
...experience was working intimately with Square Enix to complete Final Fantasy XV for the PlayStation 4.
- Founded the company and built a small development team building a custom and very unique AI-centric programming language of my own design. Performed all duties ranging from the actual coding to management, business development, sales, and so on.
- Built the latest generation of my technology from the ground up in the latest versions of C++ for maximum performance and flexibility.
- Guided my team as they build the visual AI editor in C++ using open source components such as ImGui for the UI, JsonCpp for storing code modules, and litehtml for the built-in help system.
- Created integrations for common game engines (UE4, Unity3D) and APIs for general-purpose back-end software such as Node.js. The engine has an optional networking sub-system that implements Winsock2 for multi-client communications using a custom protocol and purpose-built high-performance data compression algorithm for real-time streaming, debugging, and editing of operational AIs.
Chief Technology Officer, Director
Streamline Media Group, Streamline Studios, Streamframe
- Interviewed, hired, trained, and managed several multi-discipline development teams and guided their career path development.
- Performed in-person requirements capture with our clients and guided the product owners, business analysts, and development teams towards successful software implementations.
- Supervised the technical direction and architecture of all software products and services as well as the underlying technologies deployed in the development and/or operation of the same.
- Participated hands-on in the development of software products and services, especially when difficult features were required or challenging bugs were encountered. This included our web-based software like Streamframe, custom services for our clients in the games industry, and unique in-house tools that nobody else in the industry has.
- Built Streamframe features and tools such as our first fully-featured Cordova-based mobile app, HTML5 Canvas-based whiteboard/image mark-up tool, a high-performance full-text search engine, a robust hierarchical permissions system integrated directly into our MVC framework to prevent access to privileged information, a database scrambler that replaced sensitive information with gibberish but preserved its structure so our devs could troubleshoot using real data without compromising confidentiality, custom tools for locating, authoring, and managing language-specific strings, created a custom font using FontForge so that we could have resolution-independent icons much like FontAwesome but unique to our needs, and much much more.
- Contributed to the development and release of Axon Runners for iOS, which was built with Unity3D and C#. I built custom content authoring tools, wrote and polished game logic, added Facebook integrations, push notifications via a 3rd-party service called Urban Airship, audited code, managed the testing phase, deployed the app on the App Store, and ported the game to three other platforms. I was also responsible for building a custom theme for WordPress to serve as the official website for the game.
- Worked extensively on the PS4 and proprietary engine technology from Square Enix for the release of Final Fantasy XV. On several other projects, I was fortunate enough to work with VR including the Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, and PSVR.
- Managed many aspects of the company (SMG) and its subsidiaries (SLS/SF) from day-to-day operations to long-term strategy development and execution.
- Built a massive multi-player online role-playing game called LinkRealms. The game was open to the public for more than a decade and finally went offline in late 2017.
- Wrote the entire graphics engine and visual effects systems with C++ and both DirectX 8 and 9. This included automatic geometry and texture batching schemes, dynamic light and shadow effects, programmable particle systems, dynamic texture filtering effects, custom rendering effects, etc.
- Designed and built an innovative artificial intelligence engine to drive creature AI. Its main innovation was that it required no programming experience to use and our creatives made fantastic use of it to produce unique behaviors that surprised even me. The AI engine was written in C++ but the server and game-specific AI nodes that it used were written in Delphi, which I had to learn for this purpose.
- Built several other systems in the game including a genetics-based pet breeding scheme, questing system, the combat arena, special events, small mathematical formulas like loot probability/distribution schemes, and actual content like creature AI and quests.
P.D.C. Consulting, Virtual E Gold, Usertrust Network/Data Corp, AirSwitch
- Worked for a number of small companies in my early years, most of which didn't last through the startup phase. I performed various development tasks dealing with proprietary back-end support tools such as card and coupon generators, account management software (akin to a modern CRM), and a tool to categorize received faxes and file them away in a MS SQL database.
- Built software products and websites for clients of P.D.C. Consulting. I was regularly required to learn and utilize unfamiliar technologies. For instance, I had to reverse-engineer a binary file format so that the data could be extracted and stored in a CSV file. On another occasion, we had to produce 30 small quizzes using Adobe Director. Rather than do them one-by-one as my colleagues did, I built a framework completed all of my tasks in only two days.
- Served as a network technician for AirSwitch (an ISP), not a programmer, but I used my skills to build a tool that helped my fellow technicians deduce the location of faults in our city-wide physical network. By plugging-in to different locations, the tool would quickly graph and grade the network nodes that it could reach. Testing two points was usually enough to identify the exact location of a fault. I was pleased to demonstrate the tool for the CEO, who himself was a network engineer.
Final Fantasy XVhttps://finalfantasyxv.square-enix-games.com/
Container Template Class
• Elements will never be relocated in memory as the container grows, allowing pointers to be taken and kept without fear of leaving them dangling.
• Element pointers/references can be quickly resolved to their container index.
• Elements can be freed while iterating over the container without funky loop mechanics (unlike Arrays and Stacks).
• Supports range-based for loops.
REST APIs, jQuery, React, Node.js, Reactstrap, DirectX
Subversion (SVN), PhpMyAdmin, Microsoft Visual Studio, Sequelize, AWS ELB, Amazon CloudFront CDN, Apache, Excel 2013, Xcode, Perforce, Git, Amazon Simple Email Service (SES), Amazon EBS, Direct3D, MonoDevelop
Asynchronous Programming, Scrum, Agile, Model View Controller (MVC)
Windows, LAMP, Amazon EC2, Oculus Rift, iOS, Android, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Xbox 360, Xbox, AWS Lambda, WordPress, Linux
Web Development, MVC Frameworks, 3D Games, FontAwesome, Video Games, Game AI, Multithreading, Concurrent Computing, APIs, Software Development, Freelancing, Cordova, WebSockets, VR Interfaces, PlayStation VR, PS4, Shaders, Web Server (IIS), Artificial Intelligence (AI), Image Processing, Video Compression, Image Compression, GPU Computing, HTC Vive, Neural Networks, Audio Processing, Containers
Unreal Engine 4, Unity3D, PhoneGap, ASP, Bootstrap
MySQL, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), SQLite, JSON, Microsoft SQL Server, Redis
Associate's Degree in Electrical Engineering and Robotics Technology
Utah Valley State College - Utah
Associate's Degree in Computer Science
Utah Valley State College - Orem, Utah
Certified Novell Administrator
Advanced Technical Center, Utal
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
Advanced Technical Center, Utah