M&A and Fundraising Expert
2017 - PRESENT
- Built a financial projections model for a hackathon and online competition company based in Australia.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Software as a Service, FinTech, Capital Raising, Enterprise Software
Investment Banking Associate
2016 - 2017
- Raised £42 million Series D funding for Nutmeg, a UK digital wealth manager, from two Asian strategic financial services companies: Convoy Financial, Hong Kong's largest independent financial advisory network, and Fubon Financial, Taiwan's second largest financial services conglomerate by assets.
- Modeled Nutmeg's share price pre- and post-investment, and presented results to the new investors, existing Board of Directors, and to management.
- Created a succinct investment memorandum and a detailed supplemental financial and KPI information pack destined for potential investors during the marketing phase of the fundraising process.
- Managed due diligence, Q&A, and scheduling for over ten simultaneously interested parties from a list of over 180 potential investors contacted.
- Trained and supervised three investment banking analysts.
- Supervised the project's timeline and managed deliverables; communicated progress and process updates to the client using GANTT charts.
- Valued Nutmeg and created a 20-page report for disclosure to the Hong Kong Stock Exchange on behalf of Convoy Global Holdings (one of the new investors) prior to the transaction closing; used discounted cash flow analysis, IPO future value analysis, comparable precedent transactions, comparable precedent capital raises, and comparable public companies.
- Gathered a list of potential investors for the Series D round using databases, proprietary knowledge, and my professional network.
- Headed the outreach to potential investors; this effort included brief screening calls to assess fit on both sides as well as organizing and preparing materials for more detailed management meetings in-person.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Capital Raising, Growth Capital Raising, Private Company Valuation, Venture Funding, Private Equity, Venture Capital, FinTech, Digital Media, Consumer Finance, Asia, Taiwan, Hong Kong, London, United Kingdom, Due Diligence
Senior Financial Analyst and Data Analyst
2014 - 2016
- Led the fundraising project internally for the $20 million equity capital raised in 2015; identified relevant potential investors, managed Q&A and due diligence, prepared ad hoc analyses in response to investor due diligence queries using SQL, distributed work to colleagues in compliance and sales, managed deadlines, and worked with our appointed M&A advisors.
- Prepared daily, weekly, and monthly reports for the executive team on various aspects of business performance, including new loans originated, cash and revenue yield, fee levels, bad debt, and financial statements preparation. Most of these reports were automated using SQL, Excel, and VBA.
- Generated monthly management accounts, balance sheet and cash flow statements; gathered information from various team members on a tight schedule every month in order to compile the results.
- Modeled the company's financial projections/plan, as accepted by the Board of Directors.
- Analysed company performance and identified shortcomings or areas for improvement. In one instance, identified a human behavior from the US sales team which had resulted in a drop in cash yield from recent loans written. After discussions at executive team meetings, the sales team's behavior was corrected, and cash yield from US loan origination jumped 70% quarter-on-quarter.
- Performed analyses for the sales teams to identify prospective clients and former clients that could convert or re-convert to paying customers.
- Prepared materials for and accompanied the CEO to potential investor meetings.
- Prepared discussion materials for monthly Board meetings.
- Single-handedly managed the company's cap table; served as sole point-person for all things related to shares, options and modelling of returns to shareholders; interacted with lawyers on updating the Articles of Association or any other legal documentation related to prior investment agreements; granted options to new and existing employees to reward them for performance; reported to investors quarterly.
- Completed two successful audits, working with auditors from third party firms on producing annual audited financial statements in the UK. Worked in particular on the segments related to the balance sheet, cash flow statement, and share capital.
Focus areas: Lending, Luxury Assets, Secured Loans, Art, Consumer Finance, Art Lending, Consumer Lending, Consumer Credit, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Data Analysis, SQL, Capital Raising, Venture Debt, Convertible Debt, Internal Audits, IFRS Audit Planning
Investment Banking Analyst
2012 - 2013
- Executed Acunu's acquisition by Apple as the sole analyst staffed on the deal. Acunu was the leading big data analytics software company in Europe, second globally by scale. Most of Acunu's engineers went on to work for Apple.
- Created, from scratch, both the operating and valuation models for Acunu, including integrated financial statements (the company had not yet agreed on a financial plan and had no CFO). Explained all assumptions and projections in a supporting document.
- Conceptualized and delivered a pitch book and a valuation report on Acunu to Apple.
- Interacted daily with Apple's M&A team and legal counsel during due diligence and Q&A. Commended by Apple's legal counsel on the layout of my data room.
- Modeled the analysis of shareholder returns for Acunu shareholders; participated in negotiations and amendments to the Share Purchase Agreement as they occurred between Apple and Acunu, and presented my findings to shareholders; prepared schedules for the legal teams to insert in the SPA.
- Completed the £100 million recapitalization of Thomsons Online Benefits, a London-based human resources SaaS provider, by ABRY Partners, a Boston-based private equity firm with over $11 billion in assets under management.
- Drafted a 20-page investor presentation for Thomsons Online Benefits (TOB).
- Created a longer, 50-page KPI deck for Thomsons Online Benefits, detailing all commercial information required for potential acquirers to be able to make an in-principle offer and propose deal terms. Simultaneously opened the first section of a two-part data room with initial supporting documentation.
- Single-handedly managed TOB's data room for 5 simultaneous potential acquirers, all top-tier private equity firms with track records dealing in Europe. Commended for my efforts handling Q&A.
- Collaborated extensively with TOB's in-house counsel, who was on-site during the period ramping up to due diligence, to finalize all legal documentation.
- Demonstrated flexibility and perseverance as the sole analyst supporting a ten-person firm, working on two live deals and multiple pitches to prospects, spearheading marketing efforts including the creation of a company website, managing deadlines, and distributing work to third party designers and outsourced M&A support.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Big Data, London, HR Software, SaaS, Enterprise Software, Analytics, Apple, Private Equity, Financial Modeling
2012 - 2012
- Researched and analyzed portfolios of assets within venture capital secondary funds; identified their maturities, owners, assets, and history in order to pinpoint those portfolios ripe for a secondary exit.
- Compiled the results of my research on French "FCPI" investment funds into an Excel report destined for the Head of the Secondary Investments division. The report provided at-a-glance graphical insight into funds of immediate interest and funds that could become interesting in the next three years. Listed portfolio composition and contact details for the aforementioned funds.
- Delivered results of research on the French online gaming space in the format of an investment memorandum. Presented my views on a potential investment, describing its product, market dynamics, management backgrounds, competition, barriers to entry, product road map, and financials.
- Identified prospective European investments in various technology sub-sectors.
- Performed comparable public company analyses to be inserted into other team members' investment memoranda.
- Attended weekly investment committee meetings.
Focus areas: Private Equity Secondaries, Venture Capital, London, Europe, Software, Video-Games, Series A, Series B
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
2011 - 2011
- Reported to high-net-worth and ultra-high-net-worth clients on their portfolios' holdings and performance.
- Collaborated with the portfolio manager on re-balancing portfolios and running asset class optimization models.
- Prepared pitch books and supporting analyses for prospective new clients.
Focus areas: Wealth Management, Portfolio Analysis, High Net Worth Individual, HNWI, UHNWI
2011 - 2011
- Drafted the investment memorandum for the successful sale of a U.S.-based online map provider.
- Wrote the investment memorandum for the successful sale of a U.S.-based search engine optimization (SEO) and web development services company.
- Prepared the investment memorandum for the successful sale of Brapenta, a Brazilian laboratory equipment manufacturer.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
2010 - 2010
- Compiled loan applications and gave recommendations to proceed with the loan or abandon the prospect.
- Interacted with high-net-worth and ultra-high-net-worth clients and prospective clients.
- Analyzed risk factors for secured and unsecured loan products based on prospective clients' assets, most commonly by reviewing tax documents and current asset holdings (property, life insurance policies, financial securities, and cash).
- Updated pricing models with latest government interest rates.
- Created a new, simplified template for loan applications using Excel.
Focus areas: Private Banking, Lending, Consumer Lending, Mortgages, Life Insurance, Credit Analysis, Private Credit, Consumer Credit, Credit Risk Analysis, Consumer Loans, Secured Loans, Unsecured Loans