Founder | CEO2017 - PRESENTSynogent
- Provided CTO-for-hire services for more than a dozen early-stage businesses, focusing mostly on product management, pro-forma financial modeling and business case development, and product development.
- Developed product development services business and leveraged on-shore and off-shore development partners to bring countless MVPs to market.
- Gained industry experience across many verticals, including clients in cannabis, heavy industrial, consumer and business software applications, IoT, healthcare IT, and others.
- Worked on projects covering a wide array of technologies including web and mobile technology stacks (MEAN/MERN/.NET), cloud and serverless architectures, RFID and embedded applications, and integrations with countless private and government APIs.
Co-founder | CEO2017 - PRESENTArticle Innovations
- Grew the annual revenue to more than $500,000 in the first full year of operation.
- Oversaw and was responsible for the day-to-day general management of the business operations (HR, operations, finance, and so on).
- Managed the commercialization and product development of several SaaS products for the Amazon third-party seller eCommerce market.
Mentor2016 - 2017Canopy San Diego
- Provided entrepreneurs with feedback and insights in their path to fundraising and other business challenges they faced.
- Presented lectures on financial modeling and business models.
- Advised and coached entrepreneurs in industries ranging from SaaS to consumer goods and digital media.
CTO | Acting CFO2015 - 2017MomCo
- Developed the financial models, business strategy, growth and risk mitigation plans, pitch decks, and due diligence materials; also participated in fundraising, due diligence, and other investor meetings.
- Maintained the company's AngelList and Crunchbase profiles.
- Crafted investor update communications.
- Defined and implemented business key performance indicators (KPIs) and product analytics (including behavioral analytics) data collection mechanisms and processes.
- Leveraged data to inform product roadmap decisions (growth hacking), strategic decision making, and operational improvements.
- Implemented customer service procedures and playbook.
- Worked with the CPA and bookkeeper to reconcile books and produce quarterly financial statements.
- Maintained the investor roster, cap table, option pool, and vesting schedules.
- Collaborated with the legal team to create and negotiate (as applicable) convertible debt funding agreements, commercial terms, intellectual property licensing contracts, employee agreements (NDA, independent contractor agreements, and so on); made extensive contract reviews and revisions and handled all government filings, payments, requests, and other correspondence.
- Established payroll and time and attendance procedures, by setting up the employee benefits program and administering the employee health insurance program and other labor compliance matters.
- Procured general liability, workers compensation, media errors and omissions, directors and officers, and key man life insurance on behalf of the company; including distributing 1099s, W2s, and other tax documents.
- Oversaw and was responsible for the development, maintenance, and support of native iOS and Android consumer apps, B2B web app platforms, and back-end infrastructure.
- Directly managed seven offshore engineers and three local contractors. Technologies included AWS Elastic Beanstalk, EC2, S3, Cognito, API Gateway, SNS, VPC, Node.js, MongoDB, Express.js, AngularJS, Objective-C, and Java.
- Ensured that teams followed an Agile development process and used common management tools (Trello, GitHub, InVision).
- Worked with social media teams to measure and monitor marketing campaign efficacy.
- Worked with CEO to develop sales forecasts and goals, develop sales collateral, and other marketing materials.
- Performed extensive pricing, competitive, industry, and mergers and acquisitions research.
- Worked with overseas contractors to aggregate large data sets for sales leads.
- Led product management (concept testing, market analysis, product testing with clients) for the development of new business products.
- Procured, trained staff, and supported business applications (hosted email and calendar, sales funnel management tools, engineering tools, analytics tools, file storage, customer support tools, marketing automation tools).
- Maintained the company website and web infrastructure.
- Raised more than $300,000 in investment capital from angel investors.
- Supported quarterly app user growth in excess of 30% for seven consecutive quarters.
- Supported the monetization of the platform and revenue growth from $0 - $30,000 (monthly) within the first quarter of sales.
Lead High-tech Analyst2012 - 2016Tech Coast Angels
- Performed due diligence activities for early-stage (angel) funding rounds on behalf of angel investors.
- Prepared a summary of the findings and associated analysis and opinions after performing a market analysis, financial statement analysis, validation of business model and assumptions, review of technology and IP, review of growth strategy and strategic plans, term sheets, and other data.
- Recruited, trained, and oversaw the development of new analyst interns in the high-tech space.
- Held office hours to discuss the roadmap to funding and other business challenges with entrepreneurs.
CTO2015 - 2015SingldOut
- Worked with the management team to develop the product strategy, participated in investor meetings, and developed pro forma financial models.
- Developed logistics processes around shipping, receiving, and processing of customer DNA samples.
- Oversaw the development of customized web application (dating website) with proprietary DNA-based matching algorithms. Onboarded the development team with no interruption to product delivery. Technologies included AngularJS, MySQL, Express.js, PHP, AWS EC2, and RDS.
- Designed and executed numerous multi-variate studies to improve user signup/conversion and engagement metrics and to optimize pricing models.
- Supported a $500,000 capital raise from angel investors.
- Transitioned product development to onshore without any interruptions.
Senior Engineering Program Manager2008 - 2015Lytx
- Reviewed due-diligence materials relating to engineering and operations in buy-side M&A transactions and technology licensing.
- Contributed to corporate strategic planning committees.
- Researched, identified, and managed strategic technology partnerships.
- Developed a new business model to service the transportation network company (e.g., Uber, Lyft) industry; pitched business opprtunities to Uber executives.
- Managed product development programs with budgets in excess of $15 million and more than 40 engineers.
- Oversaw the execution of outsourced development contracts to ensure contract performance by working closely with product management teams to ensure development teams delivered the right value at the right time. Technologies included embedded Linux, OpenCV, C/C++, C#, MS SQL, RESTful web services (.NET), embedded hardware, CDMA, GSM, and WiFi wireless technologies, USB OTG.
- Created processes and managed the roll-out of Agile engineering methodologies to hardware, software, and firmware teams.
- Developed manufacturing technology solutions and transitioned manufacturing operations from the US to China without any supply-chain disruptions.
- Developed global logistics systems and highly scalable architecture, linking real-time production information across five countries.
- Conceptualized and developed a new business model for the TNC industry and successfully worked through relationships to get an opportunity to pitch executives at Uber.
- Implemented Agile development practices across engineering teams, improving estimation accuracy more than 100% and greatly improving development predictability and visibility.
- Delivered three longterm (more than 18 months) development projects to market with cradle-to-grave technical ownership.
- Generated technology solutions for manufacturing and reverse logistics to support a 300% growth rate at 30% reduced cost.
- Innovated manufacturing and product changes reducing field failure rate from more than 5% to less than 0.5%.
- Co-authored three technology patents (all issued).
Analyst2013 - 2013Senoma Group
- Led deal-sourcing activities in conjunction with a managing partner.
- Searched for acquisition targets using databases such as Manta, PrivCo, and Bloomberg.
- Provided detailed segment research in sectors ranging from healthcare IT to visual voicemail providers.
- Developed investment hypotheses for more than a dozen potential acquisition targets.
Founder | CEO2006 - 2011Metropolitan Management
- Founded a B2B SaaS company providing call center sales management tools. There were no employees initially; bootstrapped product development.
- Closed sales with multiple Fortune 500 companies, managed relationships, and supported customers.
- Managed engineering teams in three countries, bringing three SaaS products to market.
- Closed deals with AT&T and Time Warner Cable as well as other small businesses.
- Completed work that ensured we were cash flow positive within first quarter of operations and triple-digit growth annually with recurring revenue subscription model.
Software Project Manager2003 - 2006Nokia Mobile Phones
- Led a team of engineering specialists spread over four continents.
- Evaluated, prioritized, and selected development projects.
- Managed the work and built up the team.
- Developed innovations that resulted in a near 100% increase in production line capacity improvement globally.
- Was recognized as a global specialist in radio calibration of CDMA and WCDMA architectures for mass production.